What do you look for in a skincare range?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Rose

Reaction score
Title says it all really...

What are you swayed towards in a skincare range?
What swayed you towards choosing the range you did?
Do you prefer aromatherapy or marine based products or something else entirely?
What products do you actually use on yourself? (cleanser, toner etc)

Feel free to add any more thoughts :)

What are you swayed towards in a skincare range? price, smell and quality, is it organic, paraben free etc
What swayed you towards choosing the range you did? mainly if it factored in to price, the quaility, reaction to clients- i find that the more organic it is the better, it gives me satisfaction to sought out skincare ranges that wont give reaction to my clients. The size of the product in accordance to price.
Do you prefer aromatherapy or marine based products or something else entirely? Hmm i like a mini selection, i prefer a marine scent for my male clients and more of a aromatherpy route for injuries etc I do like the foodie scents of chocolate, vanilla, orange lavender for all my clients but i guess we all have our preferences.
I use very organic based products for myself, if i run out i find the nearest option, i just feel you cant go wrong with natural products and i have suffered from allergies in the past from abrasive and harsh skincare ranges that i feel as though i want the same for my clients!
hths xoxo

I can only answer from a consumers point of view.

The thing i mainly want is fast noticeable results.
Then it would be price, texture and fragrance.
I like something that has a pump dispencer or similar because if it comes in a pot its difficult to get at with long nails.

What are you swayed towards in a skincare range?

Natural ingredients

What swayed you towards choosing the range you did?

Because its all natural, has a few scents to choose from and they all smell gorgeous

Do you prefer aromatherapy or marine based products or something else entirely?

I like 'some' aromatherapy scents, ones like patchouli and lavender you can keep (yuk!) Foodie ones like chocolate, vanilla, coconut etc, I love because they give a sense of wellbeing and indulgence and light floral scents are nice too as long as not tooo overpowering. I like marine scents for men as I feel it gives a more masculine vibe (I like seaweed based products too).

I use aloe vera at the moment, and nivea soft moisturiser. (Don't shout at me, lol!)

Hope this helps ya Blue :D

I'm not a skin professional but can certainly tell you what I look for as a consumer.

The most important thing for me is the results.

If something works (and I mean REALLY) works, I would probably use it regardless of smell, price etc (within reason)! LOL

However, if something smells nice that is a lovely bonus.

I like aromatherapy products and I also like produts with dinky little travel sets that I can trial and then refill to use for my weekends away.

I agree that pump dispensers and spray bottles are helpful

I was a Dermalogica girl for years but have recently switched to Eve Taylor. I use their cleanser, toner, moisturiser, exfoliater and mask (and the facial brush)

I look for products that do what they say on the tin.

That clients get the results they require and that they can believe what I tell them.

Smell aas long as its not offputting I am not fussed.

As natural as possible is also good but not essential.

Results, results, results for me thats why I have chosen environ.

Also products not tested on animals!

the first thing is results .. you need to have something that is good, ie good cleanser , good exfoilator (not the horribel scrubs with peach kernal granules i hate then )
also good oil for massage , needs to be light but also gives good slip ..
finally small .. i am with redsadie .. pathouli and neroil make me heave .. hate em .. i like natural smells & also foody smells too :lol:

results are important to me but I have to factor in price too - whether it is something that will sit on my shelves as too expensive for my clients to buy to use on a regular basis, whether I would buy it to use myself.
Smell is secondary - there is one product I use which I really don't like the smell of but it works and once it's on my skin I can't smell it anymore.
Packaging - pump dispensers are great for facial products as they're easier to cope with when you have wet hands :lol: they are for me anyway :wink:

I don't think men are too fussed about smell so long as it's not flowery or sweet - they too want results more than anything else.

hope this helps x

I can speak from a consumer and professional point of view.

For a pro view its got to be texture, price, smell, not tested on animals aromatherapy and herbal extract rich, retail friendly and results.

I have used matis, academie, liz earle, gatineau, gerard's and neal's yard.

I didn't like matis and gatineau as they were too chemically and seemed more intent on results driven than the experience and didn't like the look of the retail.

I loved academie.....I loved the natural element towards it, the mixing of the products and the textures. The retail products looked lovely but was a tad expensive.

I use gerard's now and love the fact that they are all of the above but retail is a tad expensive.

At home I use gerard's but I used Liz earle before that. Some of her products are genius but I didn't like the exfoliator or the clay mask but the brightening mask was nice.

I am at the moment showcasing Neal's yard products and can't give a detailed opinion yet as haven't used them that long.

The main thing I find lets skincare ranges down is the exfoliator and the masks. I like an exfoliator to come off as a peel. Gerard's do that and also academie. A geek once sent me a sample of darphin and that was lovely too.

I do like algae/seaweed based products too. I use the same products for male clients and don't think that is an issue.

I love food based themes and thats one of the reasons I got gerard's in as they provide a chocolate facial and a chocolate body treatment.

I love both aromatherapy based and marine based.
I love oils and balms rather than light moisturisers.
Nicely packaged in jars, i find bottles you can never get enough out and throw lots away.
Exfoliators and masks, im not really fussed as long as they are not too harsh, but you do need to feel them on the skin.
Love Neroli, Ylang Ylang, Vanilla, Sandelwood, Rose, Lemongrass, Sweet Orange/Mandarin, Cinnamon, Patchouli and Pink Pepper.
As natural as possible, doesnt have to be organic ( we all know how companys stretch the truth).
Also like cleansing balms / oils too.:biggrin:

Latest posts

Back