what do you prefer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkpanther

Reaction score
Hi I'm new on here and I hope you can help me.:)

I am researching about beauty salons because I'm training as a beauty tech at the moment, and I hope to start making moves to open my own salon next year, with a little help from some friends. If I was to open a salon I'd like to offer waxing, mani/pedi cures, st tropez spry tans, dermalogica facials, eyelash extensions, and, possibly laser hair removal and a sunbed.

I just wanted everyone's opinion on what products and machines they prefer to use when they're administering these services to clients.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hi I'm not a beauty tech, but I think you should look at adding botox to your menu. Everyone around here who offers the sort of treatments you are thinking of also does botox and fillers and these are very popular and perhaps semi perm makeup, if not in the beginning then later or if you can attract someone who is already experienced in this.

Hi I'm new on here and I hope you can help me.:)

I am researching about beauty salons because I'm training as a beauty tech at the moment, and I hope to start making moves to open my own salon next year, with a little help from some friends. If I was to open a salon I'd like to offer waxing, mani/pedi cures, st tropez spry tans, dermalogica facials, eyelash extensions, and, possibly laser hair removal and a sunbed.

I just wanted everyone's opinion on what products and machines they prefer to use when they're administering these services to clients.

Any input would be appreciated.

For me beauty and sunbeds do not go together especially if you will be offering anti-aging treatments and also doing spray tanning. I personally would advise working in a salon before setting up my own business, it really helped me gain both confidence and knowledge before starting up on my own.

It is a bit difficult to say which products would be good for you, you need to try them out and also each geek will have their own personal preference that may not suit you. Do searches on individual products in the search section at the top of the page and you will find a wealth of information.

Good luck in whatever you decide to go for working for yourself is hard work but good fun and you have chosen the best industry around! . :hug:

Hi I'm not a beauty tech, but I think you should look at adding botox to your menu. Everyone around here who offers the sort of treatments you are thinking of also does botox and fillers and these are very popular and perhaps semi perm makeup, if not in the beginning then later or if you can attract someone who is already experienced in this.

I would like to eventually move into these areas, mainly so I dont have to pay full price. heeheehee

But on a serious note, I just want to get a feel for what the majority prefer in terms of some equipment and products that are used. I'm just doing my research now so that I have a good idea as to what products/equipment are seen as industry standard. My plans are not set in stone but I understand that if I go ahead with it, its going to be hard hard work and even after that hard work I might not suceed, but I have a supportive family, some great friends that I know will also try and help me best they can.

I'm only considering sunbeds because although ethically I dont agree with them, if I was to open a salon, I want to capture as much of the market as possible and sunbeds can provide a substainable amount of cash. Some people prefer a spray tan while others prefer something with a longer lasting effect.

Thanks for your comments guys, I think over the next coming months, if not years, you'll be hearing/seeing a lot of me on here.:green:

A couple of things I would recommend. Firstly you have to believe 110% in the products you use and the services you offer. If people get even a hint that ethically you don't believe in tanning beds then they will not have any confidence in any of your other products either no mater what you say. My advice would be to ditch that idea altogether. Whilst we are obviously in business to make money it should not be at any cost to your client, be it financially, ethically or medically. That is of course my personal opinion, but you seem the sort of person that wants to do things properly too.

Secondly I would recommend going to Excel, the biggest of all the trade exhibitions that happens in early spring. Spend several days there researchng your products and getting demos etc. Only you can decide what is right for you and your salon ie do you go with a known brand that every other salon in your town has, or do you dare to be different and stand out from the crowd?

Thirdly, owning your own salon is not just about being a good therapist, you also have to have a good business head on you so I would recommend getting yourself on a business course tout de suite.

Fourthly - good luck!

Thirdly, owning your own salon is not just about being a good therapist, you also have to have a good business head on you so I would recommend getting yourself on a business course tout de suite.

Fourthly - good luck!

Thanks for your comments, I've done a business course and I've run many club,pubs, and bars so although different, I have picked up some useful skills.

Latest posts

Back