What do you talk about during treatments?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riva

Reaction score
I used to use treatments as an opportunity to let people know what else we offer (within reason of course and sensitive to their needs to not talk- I hope!)

I see it as marketing but for some reason, I'm beginning to think that its not the right thing to do. So I now use the time to ask them about themselves which invariably has the old question "what do you do?" and "was it easy to get here" (London is so big!). I'm wondering if this may seem intrusive to people, as if I'm trying to dig personal info out as opposed to just being genuinely interested?

For repeat customers, I'll ask about holidays, kids/grandkids etc that I remember from previous conversations

For full disclosure, I've been 'advised' that I try too hard, that I should 'calm it down' (my sis-in-law passed the message through my brother, although I did think she would genuinely want to understand the ins and outs of my products/treatments of choice, not to sell to her as I wasn't counting on making money there). I'm very passionate and know that I can sometimes come across strongly but am working on being 'cool'.

What do you guys do that you find works or what do you like when you yourself are being treated?

Last edited:
It's a tricky balance between general chit chat and the hard sell I suppose but I think the key is just to be yourself...... Some clients will like you, some won't (as I'm finding out) but I think if you try too hard then you miss out on showing the 'real' you. As you build up relationships you'll suss out who can take you 'upselling' without feeling pressured.

Just relax, enjoy what you're doing & be natural!

Good luck
Debbs xx

I used to use treatments as an opportunity to let people know what else we offer (within reason of course and sensitive to their needs to not talk- I hope!)

I see it as marketing but for some reason, I'm beginning to think that its not the right thing to do. So I now use the time to ask them about themselves which invariably has the old question "what do you do?" and "was it easy to get here" (London is so big!). I'm wondering if this may seem intrusive to people, as if I'm trying to dig personal info out as opposed to just being genuinely interested?

For repeat customers, I'll ask about holidays, kids/grandkids etc that I remember from previous conversations

For full disclosure, I've been 'advised' that I try too hard, that I should 'calm it down' (my sis-in-law passed the message through my brother, although I did think she would genuinely want to understand the ins and outs of my products/treatments of choice, not to sell to her as I wasn't counting on making money there). I'm very passionate and know that I can sometimes come across strongly but am working on being 'cool'.

What do you guys do that you find works or what do you like when you yourself are being treated?

Every client is different. Some won't talk at all during a more practical treatment e.g waxing, others chat all the way through a relaxing treatment like a facial. I think the best thing you can do is learn to read clients and if they talk, talk to them, and if they don't, respect their quiet time.

There's nothing wrong with asking questions about their lives but I would vary it from client to client. If someone responds with one word answers, I tend to stop asking.

Sometimes a simple 'would you like me to talk you through the products I'm using?' at the beginning of a treatment can open them up for questions and they are also given the option to politely decline.

It's always nice to have a recommendations sheet at the end of a treatment so if you were chatting away about all your other treatments and your great products they have a reference, and if they were quiet and uninterested you still have the chance to go 'I've just written down a few recommendations for your skin type/particular concerns/treatments and products I think you would benefit from and enjoy' then you can hand them the piece of paper and they can use it or not.

Hope that helps. I'm sure your passion comes across well for the majority of clients! :) xx

I never attempt to sell anything during a treatment - that time is spent for the client, we talk about everything and anything, from a boil on their husbands bum right through to the news and global event's,cats, animals, whatever.. Each client is different

2 of my clients I only say,,, hi how are you, come over and take a seat ....they then talk at me non stop, always say, thanks O look forward to my salon rant time lol.

I only do the sell If I feel clients need it, I always tell then if I'm putting on a new product, and explain what it does, I don't push them to buy anything as I want them to return without dreading what I'm going to try sell them next....

I'm never going to be rich this rate ha! :D

Confusion is a lifestyle - not a state of mind :eek:

I talk to my clients about anything and everything! I generally let them lead the conversation whether it's about the treatment or more usually not lol I don't have any quiet clients, they all like a good natter but when it comes to up-selling I will only do this if I truly believe that they would benefit from that product or treatment. Those conversations will normally just come about naturally if they ask "how can I?....." Or " what can I do about?...." Or another is they are having a particularly stressful time, or just run a marathon etc then that can lead to a conversation about massage perhaps.

Like KHS I might never get rich on it lol but my clients know I won't ever do a hard sell on them and in turn when I do suggest something they respect that and know I'm saying it for the right reason which in turns means they're more likely to go with it :)

I love going to the hair salon; it's the whole pampering and having an adult conversation without hearing "mummy... Mummy... Mummy..." Repeated ad infinitum for the duration of the period.

I used to visit a local salon and it was my favourite. The guy was amazing, really forward thinking and not afraid to take risks. Then his new gf got him to join her business and his business partner took full control of the salon. Wasn't impressed at that anyway :p
However, i made an appointment and she did my hair. She spoke the entire time about things that she sold and stuff that they were having delivered that I could buy. And they had a little savings club that I could put £5 or £10 a week, which is nothing really, you don't miss it an then you can buy yourself some of our new colour straighteners or hairdryer. And this stuff I'm using costs £x and you can get it at the end.

I never went back, and its been about 3 years. I wasn't paying for her to give me the hard sell. If I want to buy something, I will - and frequently did! But don't infringe my 'me time' with your adverts :/

Me personally, I let my client lead the conversation. HF she doesn't want to talk, then so be it. If she does, then bring it on - about anything!

Except selling :)

Most of my clients have been coming to me for years & talk about everything & anything. They all seem to use their treatment time almost like a therapy session, lol & always leave much happier & relaxed. Clients have to feel relaxed & know that anything they say is private & confidential. Yes, I do manage to drop in conversation regarding treatments, products etc. Seems to work for me but obviously much depends on whether you work in a large spa/salon or in a one room salon. :D

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm usually led by the client.

I am quite cheeky and often really have a good laugh with my clients but I'm also extremely respectful. I know which ones want to keep it all very professional and which ones want to know everything and have a laugh/let off steam.

I had one client used a new hair salon in Oxford. She still came to me for her nails and told me that the new stylist had talked about her boyfriend and called him the C word. Totally shocking!

I recommended a local salon to a client for a treatment that we didn't offer. My client was going there, then coming to me for a spray tan. The client told the new salon that her current beauty salon had recommended them and that she needed to be out by 2 as she was coming to me for a spray tan. The therapist immediately said "we can do your tan here."
My lovely client replied "so she recommends you and then you try to take treatments off her. Nice!"
The therapist looked suitably ashamed but constantly tried to upsell so my client felt no remorse when we started to offer the treatment and she could come to us.

Time and place!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Politics. Religion. Current affairs. Celebrities. Soaps/dramas/. Murder. Husbands. Children. Weather. Nails. Skin. Hair. Medical problems.

Whatever comes up I will talk about ... It helps that I have an opinion on everything lol

My clients think I have the answer to everything :))))

Jacqui x

I always let the client lead. I normally start with speaking about where they've been for their nail treatments before and it usually goes from there... I'll literally speak about anything, I'll pretend to be interested in sports, gardening, whatever it seems they like. I'll usually ask some simple questions about subjects they're talking about so that they can talk a bit more about it and allow them to change the subject when they want.

If there's a small awkward silence, I try to fill it by just letting them know what I'm doing eg 'this is scrub fresh, it dehydrates the nail ready for the base coat and will get rid of any nasty pathogens hanging around...' Which normally invites them to ask a question or something.

If they've got the TV on, I'll discuss whatever is on there.

I try not to talk about myself as best i can as the appt is about them. I try not to push any products on anyone as I find it can make things a bit awkward, not that I really retail anyway (only solar oil).

I had a client the other day who is a hairdresser. Obviously, her job involves the same as mine when it comes to conversation so she was keeping the convo up just as much as I was. And today, a sales manager who's job it is to keep up a convo to be able to do her job. Both perfect clients for me :)

I think I'm quite good at reading people and if they just want to relax and not talk, I try to stay quiet unless they speak and just gently explain what I'm doing at each stage.

Compliment their house (if mobile), their necklace, bracelet, shoes... Anything to make them feel that little bit special and good about themselves.

Sorry... Waffling on, as usual ;)

The best advice I ever received - "Work smarter, not harder". Thank you, geeks!!

I just open my gob and yap....I'm Irish , so it comes easy . lol

The conversation usually starts with me asking the client...'well, any craic ?' or 'what are you up to today ?' and then off we go chattering...

God , what a great job we have, get to sit and yap all day and get paid for it .

edit, yes , I sell if the convo heads that way but it's not my main focus during the service..

Last edited:
Hi Riva, I used to be like you and think I had to talk. But I learnt from a holistic tutor to let the client lead. Don't start the conversation. If I'm doing a facial I might prompt them about their skin, or if massage, does it hurt? Otherwise, if the client wants to talk, I respond, if not, I don't. My massage therapist starts every treatment by saying "during the massage I do not talk". I did training with Gerry Pyves who had the same approach: no talking.

I always aim to get the clients onto a subject they like or want to chat about to enable them to do the talking while I get my head down and work!

If its a new client I often begin with asking them what they usually wear/do with their nails, find out habits etc and it can go from there.
They would mention details about their lifestyle that tell me about their nail needs and habits which is helpful to know for their service, e.g they are busy mums with toddlers- this tells me they are 'hands on' and probably rough on their hands, it also gives me a subject I know they will be passionate about!

I'm lead by the client too but it is really important to tell them about the business too.

We have a list of things that we need to tell the client so it needs to be paced.

My junior stylist does my head in because a client spends 60mins in the chair and all she does is a haircut.

We offer premium colour, conditioning treatments, retail, we also need to get correct mobile numbers for text reminders, email addresses, birthdays, loyalty cards, recommend a friend, promotions, rebooking- it's a blooming lot to fit in when the client is leaving!

We also offer breakfast and lunch and alcohol.

It's has to come naturally but if you have a new client is really important to impress them with everything they can get involved it. Let's face it all hairdressers offer a haircut don't we!!!!

I just hash away...love trying to crack the hard ones lmao get a bit of a smile and chat out of them

when I started I was more don't know whats the word like stiff?? and just with time ive learned to go with the flow and if all else fails talk nonsense haha

my best friend could get the wall to talk back to her lol so in the past I used her as inspiration

A big NO NO in my view. It is the clients time and this is what they are paying for. If they want to talk then fine, let them lead and answer with closed answers. If i was having a treatment and therapist tried selling me treatments id be well miffed and would refuse to pay full cost!!!

Had a chat about chicken sex today, like how it works. We were laughing wondering if any other therapist was having a chat like that. Client had a 16 year old hen and it still got attention off the cockerel ffs, love Somerset hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you all so much for this. Its all new for me and so a huge learning curve as in my usual job, I'm expected to do quite a bit of talking.
I've taken a step back and even decided that my initial instinct about not putting stock ads (helpfully provided by the companies) is the right one, instead, will be putting up interesting pics on the wall to start conversations, esp nail room.

Had a chat about chicken sex today, like how it works. We were laughing wondering if any other therapist was having a chat like that. Client had a 16 year old hen and it still got attention off the cockerel ffs, love Somerset hahaha

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I had a conversation about chicken slaughtering once. No matter how many times I tried to deter the conversation my client wanted to talk about it. There were other clients at the basin too.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back