What do you talk about with your clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandyNailsEdna

Reaction score
We're sitting face to face for an hour or even more with our clients, sometimes it's a little awkward to just be quiet all the time. So we gotta break the ice and start a conversation.... What do you talk about?

All sorts of chit chat!!! I always keep things light and ask the client about themselves as they then usually chatter on!

I usually start with asking the reason behind their colour choice, is there an event coming up and they are matching a dress? Then they can tell me about that and other recent events they've been too, if that conversation runs out I then tell then I like their bag/shoes/top/hairstyle etc and they usually tell me about that and their latest bargain or favourite item etc . If you comment on something you think they might be proud of they have loads to talk about! If that doesn't work the client might just want some relaxing quiet time. But asking about events or clothes usually works!

I think this is a really difficult thing to get right. On the one hand you want to be friendly and chatty, and on the other you want to remain professional which means you dont want to appear nosey, rude or come across as a gossip.

I let the client lead the way. My lead question (for nails) is "so are you having these done for a special occasion or did you just fancy a treat?". Your client will then give you a lead, and you can discuss their special occasion, birthday, wedding etc, or you can just talk about how its nice to treat ourselves for no reason, we deserve it, we work hard etc, what do you do for a living incidentally? and so it goes!! I dont ask questions about their personal life such as spouse or children unless they offer the information freely.

Sometimes it becomes clear that the client doesnt want to talk, and that's fine theres nothing wrong with letting them sit and relax in silence. Lots of techs feel the need to fill the silence, but really when its clear that the client doesnt want to talk the best thing to do is get your head down and get on with the job. You will have reasons to communicate with the client throughout the service to check their preferences or how they want something to look, so there's still opportunity to show the client that you are open, friendly and accommodating; a lack of chit chat doesnt have to mean you are being hostile.

At the other end of the scale you have the clients who want you to do their nails and provide a therapy session at the same time, and some clients do share some very personal, sensitive, even intimate information! I think you have to tread very carefully here, it is vital that you dont get a reputation for gossiping. In this situation the thing to do is smile, laugh in the right places etc, but dont say anything to fuel the conversation, especially if the client is talking about someone other than herself. Dont be ignorant, but dont join in the conversation either.

Finally there's my golden rule. I never discuss a client with another person for any reason, and I absolutely would never discuss a client with another client, not even to say "oh, so and so was in for her nails the other day", as you've no idea what problems you might be causing. Also, I never discuss another salons treatments or practices. You will get clients coming to you saying they used to go to xyz salon but they were rubbish, and even if you agree with the client, dont involve yourself with the conversation, nothing makes you look less professional than slating another salon or therapist.

I think it depends who is sitting in front of you. Are they talkative? Do they want a bit of relaxing quiet time? With my regulars we talk about anything and everything, although i avoid politics and religion! We have a great rapport with each other and we talk about our families, tv, book recommendations and so on. Of course we talk nails too. As time goes on with my regulars i get to know things that are coming up for them so a good memory is needed to ask at the next apppointment.

On the flipside i had one lady who came in for a pedi on my couch and almost nodded off. She just wanted to relax and chill out. We didnt talk much. After the appointment she left a message on my fb page telling me she felt like she was quote walking on clouds :)

Each client is different, our instincts and professionalism should kick in and allow us to read our clients and how they want their appointment to go.

Funnily enough ive just finished a book my client recommended to me a while back when i see her ill thank her as i loved it but also 'tell her off' for making me sob like a baby ;) x

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Crickey I think it should be what we don't talk about ;) oh my, I'm sure sometimes my ladies see me as their therapist, they tell me of their naughty shenanigans, trust me I'm no shrinking violet I say it how it is type of person but sometimes some clients give out too much information, I have a strict rule, what is said in my beauty room stays inside it, the book of grey has been the most talked about topic ever with my ladies, I also have ladies that do not speak and I respect their wishes as I'm their escape :) (god help them when I'm in chatty mode ha ha)

Every situation is different and you read it accordingly, as has been said already. Try and go with open ended questions rather than closed though and the conversation should flow better. If you get one word answers to open questions, you need to take a hint and button up. :wink2:

I've been working in this industry for almost 20 years and let me tell you, I've heard a lot
I actually try not to talk about very personal stuff. I actually don't want to share too much and I don't want to hear too much either. It's all nice and sweet that some clients would like me to be their therapist but Im sorry, I don't get paid like a therapist ;)
So the rule in my salon is: positive and light conversation
If my clients are chatty we talk about new restaurants, new shops in the area, movies they've seen, their favourite vacation spot etc
No complaining about taxes, depressing news, bad children, politics, or religion of course.
I also have a TV and we play good comedies or shows like Lipstick Jungle or Sex and the City
Of course sometimes conversation gets more private, some clients I've known for several years but I try to keep it to minimum.

Latest posts

Back