What do you think of the new OPI Gel Break kind of polishes?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anna Ljungberg

Reaction score
I was just reading the new issue of Scratch magazine and saw the new OPI Gel Break treatment set.
I'm not sure what I think of this, as I don't personally believe in giving nails a break from gel polish or enhancements...

I'm not sure I see their usefulness at all, and was just wondering what you think? Am I missing something here? :)

I think they are a ploy... not useful... I know it says something about if the gel wasn't removed properly and the client thinks their nails need a break you can use these. I personally don't see the point if they are remove correctly no issues... so maybe when the customer peels them off and says they think they need a break?

Yeah....I was thinking the exact thing...
I don't do enhancements, so my knowledge is very limited in this area however.

Maybe they are great for retail? :p

Maybe? lol it's marketed for just gel polish breaks not acrylic or hard gel

Oh ok...I used the Nail Envy polishes previously on my own nails before which was a great nail hardener, but I don't really like the marketing of "taking a break" from the treatments we offer! :)

Oh ok...I used the Nail Envy polishes previously on my own nails before which was a great nail hardener, but I don't really like the marketing of "taking a break" from the treatments we offer! :)
I saw this a while back and absolutely agree with you on the marketing, it almost reminds me of when clients say "I need to let my nails breathe", and as most don't know any better they may think the marketing of "taking a break" is for that very reason.

Just seems quite odd to me

Or... and I just had a thought on this after I posted its a back handed way of ensuring that you can still offer services to clients even when they want to let their nails "breathe" lol sorry it makes me laugh everytime someone says it

Last edited:
I saw this a while back and absolutely agree with you on the marketing, it almost reminds me of when clients say "I need to let my nails breathe", and as most don't know any better they may think the marketing of "taking a break" is for that very reason.

Just seems quite odd to me

Or... and I just had a thought on this after I posted its a back handed way of ensuring that you can still offer services to clients even when they want to let their nails "breathe" lol sorry it makes me laugh everytime someone says it

Yeah exactly what I was thinking! I really like trying out new things, but I think I'll be giving these a miss! :confused:

A lady in salon services advised me that OPI nail envy was better as a treatment for thin or broken nails. But like previous people have said if they have been applied and removed properly they shouldn't need the break lol

To be honest it also piqued my interest when I was going through Scratch. I did find that they are trying to sell it to us as sort of a weapon against those customers that insist on saying their nails need breathing.
Honestly I find that a bit offensive as I think right now we are educated enough and have good relationships with our clients enabling us to break those silly myths. I wouldn't buy it and I see them marketing this directly to clients in no time. To our detriment...

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1484392743.200984.jpg

Just seen this in Cosmopolitan magazine from Essie, it's the same kind of thing with the "breathable" aspect to it

View attachment 203027

Just seen this in Cosmopolitan magazine from Essie, it's the same kind of thing with the "breathable" aspect to it

God, that's even advertised as breathable, by the sounds of it, it's a coloured nail strengthener.
I really wish this "breathing nails" craze is over soon!

Latest posts

Back