What do you think of these?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polish

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a mobile beautician/nail tech (very bossy at that too) come to my house to do french overlays in gel - I've never had this done before (due to getting married this year and want to grow my nails and have overlays for my wedding) and as I am keen on starting out becoming a nail technician in the future, I think I've researched enough to know what the routine should be.

Nail Prep!
(Anyone please correct me if I am wrong - I've never had any training as yet in manicure or enhancements)...she set up and sat me down looked at my nails and said I had filed them wrongly and in the future she will do it from now on (fair comment based on her 17yrs+ experience) then she gets out the orange wooden stick (which looks like its been used for the 17+ years she has been working mobile and pushed my cuticles with it) at this point there was no site of anti-bacterial sanitising gel. She filed my nails down to half the length they were before she got here (and they weren't very long in the first place), then buffed them with a buffer which also looked like it had been with her for the 17+ yrs she'd been mobile as it was just the foam inthe middle of the buffer that my nail was being buffed with.

Gel Overlay
She used wipe off to get the dust off my nails. Then she used bonder, cure, wipe off, then she put on a coat of sculpture, cure, wipe off, filed over the nail then added another layer of sculpture all over the nail like before (only a little thicker), cure, then at this point she put the white gel on the tips like as if she was painting it on with nail varnish (only a thin layer over the sculpture layer), cure, wip off and then added the top coat.

No cuticle oil added (should it have been added as a finish off)?

As you can see I'm very upset by the ordeal and will never use mobile service again. I thought due to her experience of 17yrs+ I'd have nothing to worry about - how wrong was I. Unfortunately I'm not a confrontational person - but I feel so angry and ripped off. How do I explain I don't want her back? I can't bare the thought of her touching my nails again...

Here are some pics of them, are they as bad as they sound?

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/kp84/Pictures/DSC03751.jpg
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k314/kp84/Pictures/DSC03757-1.jpg

Aw I am sooo sorry that you were treated this way, I know how you feel I am not a confrontational person which can make life sometimes very difficult.

I am just learning although Gel not Acrylic, but it sounds like Hygiene is not the top of her priority list, from what I have learnt, I am sure you are supposed too use a brand new file, buffer etc for each new client to avoid cross contamination?
Of which some of the fantastic people on here I am sure will confirm, as to the procedure, I will leave that to the professionals on here to comment, as I am nowhere near qualified enough for that.

As for the end result, I really don't want to upset you but if this lady has been doing nails for 17+ years, then I would have expected a much better result, but trust me I have seen worse!

I hope you get some great answers from here, as I am sure you will.

Good Luck for your Wedding Day, also with your learning.

Sue x:hug:

Thanks Sue..

You would think being mobile you try harder to make an extra special impression, hygiene completely went out the window with this lady. All she seemed bothered about was trying to sell me all her stock (which I didn't buy). I'm just so angry at myself because really I should have gone with someone word of mouth rather than just looking on how much experience she had. Obviously along the way she has cut corners to save time, her leaflet is absolutely jam packed with treatments from A-Z quite clearly 'Jake of all Trades' a 'Master of None'.

I'm very speechless because of the service, mainly because I would feel so ashamed to have done that too. The thing is she said I'd have to call her back when I want infills - I don't want to see her again let alone speak to her again without being completely honest that I actually don't want her touching my nails again :irked:

Ok, well wihtout wanting to sound harsh, but you are the customer and you are unhappy with the service you recieved. You should go back to her and tell her.

She cant do anything if you are not going to tell her your concerns. If you feel that you cant do this, then you need to find another nail tech to get those nails off when you dont want them on anymore .

ask friends? go to a reputable salon?

I am not mobile, i used to be though and I think its unfair that you feel you wont go near a mobile tech again just because of this experience. I am certain there are some wonderful mobile techs in your area. They dont deserve to placed all in one group.

So, my advice to you is seek out someone else, and let her show you how good she is. dont be put off. its like saying all plumbers are late and expensive (only using this as an example,my firend is a plumber and he is ace).

wishing you all the best.

tigi
xxxx

I'm not putting all Mobile Nail Tech's all in the same group, she was my first ever one, so of course I feel very put off - I meant I own't be using her mobile service again!

When I get qualified I will want to become mobile - I've just had a bad experience and its knocks your confidence.

I'm just angry at myself because I went on her yrs experience rather than from word of mouth. I only have myself to blame, I can't complain to her because I didn't know if she was good or bad when booked her. I would have still expected a good, clean service if that (considering her experience) I'm not confrontational so I won't say anything to her - I am not that kind of person. I'm just having a rant - isn't that what people do on forums?

I also wanted reassurance that this is not how gel nails are carried out, as both hands are completely different in shape/depths of white tips.

Just don't book a treatment with her again.
They don't look terrible but they don't look as good as they could be.

Are the white tips done with a normal nail polish and then gone over with clear gel?

I was taught to use a fresh orange stick on every client and obviously if ur tools start to look dirty despite them being disinfected etc they should be replaced and also that it voids ur insurance if u dont follow the right cleaning disinfecting methods.

Obviously don't use her again and make sure all your friends know what sort of service you had from her. If you can't face ringing her and telling her what you think then you will just have to take this as a bit of experience.

I was mobile for 10 years and what I did, and still do with any new client is to do one nail first, completely, so that they can see my standard of work. If they didn't like it I would take it off and not charge anything. I have never had this happen! It also gives a nervous client confidence in my work and they spend the whole time staring at the finished nail, usually with a grin on their faces.

I am sorry you have had a bad experience but next time ask the therapist if she or he could do just one nail so that you can see their work, explain why and they should be ok with it, if they are not then maybe they have no confidence in their work.

Worst nail tech I have ever come across has almost 20 years experience, everything from sanitation to application to ripping them off with cuticle nippers! :eek: It all depends on the individual, some oldies like me have prided themselves and kept up with new trends and training, others go the other way relying on their number of years to give them their credit.

Oh, and just for the record, all of my clients have their own files. I use new files for new clients and then bag them with their name on them for future visits. They love this as they feel special having their own stuff and obviously this is far more hygienic for them.

Use this experience to get the best possible service next time :)

:eek:Doesnt sound like she knows too much about health and hygiene.
I personally would have said something when I had them done.
they dont look good at all and I would be suprised if they didnt all come off anyway.
Unfortunatly some of my customers used to go on years of experience and thought that what they recieved was the correct way until I showed them the light.
Sounds like this tech has got herself into bad habits as the years have passed and you end up with a rubbish standard.
Ask on her if there is anyone in your area I am sure that you will find a geek willing to help you out.
Dont let this experience put you off, You sound like you know what you should be getting stick to your guns and say it.
Jen xxx

I have pm you, please feel free to get in touch.

Sorry hon its just you wrote

" and will never use mobile service again".

And I wanted to try and re assure you that there are lots of great mobile techs out there.

Bad experiences do knock confidence, but think of it this way, YOU have learnt the hard way, and when you are doing it, you can turn this experience round to your benefit. You'll be able to make sure that you give your clients a better service.

So, in a wierd karma like way, she has done you a favour? (if you get my drift?)

And I think you did nothing wrong going on the years of experience. You went to her trusting her experience right? well i think that you did nothing wrong and shouldnt blame yourself at all, you trusted her years of experience.

that is why you shouldnt be angry at yourself. I still think you should go back, but I understand completely why you feel you cant.

I was not meaning to be harsh (thats not my nature, as many here will hopefully tell you)

AND if you were near me i'd redo those nails for you for free. Why? well then her loss is my gain!

tigi

Well.... I'm very supprised that anyone can last 17 years in the industry with so little knowledge. To be honest I would question her experience, and my opinion of the finished set of nails would not be the standard I would expect from someone with this amount of experience.

As far as hygiene goes, if there was so much of a "sniff" of a lack of it at the beginning of the treatment, it would be "coat on, out the door" for me.

Sorry to hear you have been treated in such a way. It really isn't the norm. Hope you have found the help and advice useful here, and good luck with your wedding.
All the best .:)

Thanks all for your supporting messages, Tigi - no offense at all, I can understand how you read it, I was just typing too fast and missed it out. I completely understand where your coming from, it really has opened my eyes and you learn from others mistakes. Its very kind of you to say that - only wish I could take the nails off myself lol. I'll let them run thre course so I can grow my nails back after she filed them away!

Tiger Jay - I thought exactly the same, I'm still speechless now. I had high expectations and I sure as hell came down to a low afterwards.

Catsaremad - thanks very much - I may just take you up on that in the future :hug:

Sorry that you had a bad experience. I think the fact that the technician was mobile is irrelevant as is the number of years she has been in the industry.

You get good and bad nail technicians in salons too.

Perhaps get a fellow geek who is very reputable and who lives near you to do your nails for you.

do you know what products she used? it would be interesting to know who she trained with

Just had a look at the pics and tbh I think they are pretty badly done imo, perhaps she has become complacent in her work or maybe never had proper training?
I'm a mobile tech and hygiene is my top prioirty I'm really shocked at the lack of this ladys!
Don't let it put you off mobile techs but perhaps do a little research on them or ask who they trained with etc hth xx

do you know what products she used? it would be interesting to know who she trained with

She is trained by LCN, she used all there gels but was using star nail wipe off. Its Day 2 now and they are already looking like they are starting to lift, turning frosty colour underneath. Grrrrr.

id call her up and tell her they were lifting!

ive only been trained since november but all of my clients no if they have ANY problems what so ever they can call me and if its a problem i have caused then i will rectify it foc.

Latest posts

Back