What do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurachicgeek

Reaction score
This is my 3rd set of shellac French manicure. I just posted it on Facebook and I had someone in polish slate my work. I then asked what did she said then got told there rubbish and would never pay for them!!! I've seen this girl before but she's on my pag. So upset and annoyed! As I only like positive on my page.. Anyway in YOUR honest opinion where can I get better? Yes I am shellac train just not 100% confident with French lady didn't have nails to start with.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1358893309.366572.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1358893309.366572.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 441
Sorry I've never seen or met this girl before

You can only improve and ask for feedback. If I'm being honest their is visible cuticle and the smile lines aren't great and the white looks a bit thick but French is really hard to do well. I struggle with it with Gelish too and would much rather do a colour. Also it's easier the longer the nails are. Maybe don't post pics unless you are totally happy with them.. If not, put them on the bit of this site asking for feedback. Keep practising. X

I don't think these nails deserve to be slated at all!! Well done you, French is not as easy as people think.

How are you doing your smile lines? I do a coat of colour, cure, coat of cream puff, then wipe my brush on a lint free pad with some d-sperse then tidy up the smile lines then cure the white. Hope this helps you :) xx

My honest opinion is their pretty darn good for only being your third attempt, well done!

Only thing I would say is the whites look a bit thick try going over the cream puff to get the excess off (see fingernail fixer video on YouTube) also personally I would have done the tips slightly thinner as she has such short nails. Hope that's helps and again well done! X

Hiya,

I think they are good for a beginner, I still struggle with french! I think the smile line is perhaps a little thick for my taste - but then everyone is different and some people prefer bigger smile lines. To thin, as someone else has said take a gel brush dipped in D.Sperse but almost dry to wipe away too much smile line. That is the beauty of doing it with shellac and you cant do it with normal nail polish as easily. Keep practicing and good luck :hug:

I put 2 coats of neglegie on first cured each then cream puff but used number 6 gel brush with ipa on a lint free pad and then create the smile line.
I did my mums the other day her nails are much longer tho. What do you think of these?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1358894645.068235.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1358894645.068235.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 336
Thank you all so much for your advice! I'm about to rent a room in a salon soon so that comment really knocked my confidence!!!
I'm gona take YOUR advice on board!!! It's hard on short nails and I know I'll get there with your help! :) thanks for your support!!! :) x

They look much better! It all depends what nails you're working with. It's hard to make crappy short nails look great! X

Thank you all so much for your advice! I'm about to rent a room in a salon soon so that comment really knocked my confidence!!!
I'm gona take YOUR advice on board!!! It's hard on short nails and I know I'll get there with your help! :) thanks for your support!!! :) x

I love your mum's ones, great job! Well done :hug:

French is especially hard on shorter nails and I think sometimes if a nail is too short it shouldn't have french (not saying your pictures, just in general about short nails).

your mums nails do look a lot better, but judging from the pic you have posted the tips of them look very thick , there nails should not bulge at the tip .

Give your white shellac a really good shake take all the excess of the brush and try and get the white on super super thin, it's better to do 2 really thin coats than on thick one.

And don't mind the girl slating your work, we all have to start somewhere and your definitely on the way to becoming a great nail tech, keep practicing and ignore her :D

Just my twopence worth. I think the whites look raised. Applied too thick I think. The white needs to be applied very sparingly.

Hope this doesn't offend.
Said with geek love

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Yes short nails are definately alot harder!!! My mums were my second attempt so I thought I'd be ok with the short. I think in future ill suggest a normal polish on there first appointment then once the nails have grown then have a French

Yes definately noted I will make the tips thinner. Thank you all so so much I'm so glad of this site. I've now blocked this girl on my facebook site!

I think you should be happy as this is only your 3rd set I agree that the white is to think and appling 2 thin coats will help you achieve that. Good luck and keep practising here is how I do mine base coat one or two coats of white then pink followed by top coat :) View attachment 26536ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1358896869.893180.jpg

On really short nails I've had some luck using a dotting tool. Put some white on a piece of foil or a plastic backed pad. Dip in the white and apply to tip of nail. Also, you can use a small nail art brush instead of fighting with the Shellac bottle brush. HTH

Wow never thought of using a dotting tool. What a great idea :) thank you bo! :)

Hi madam minx wow your nails look great! I look forward to doing these myself! :)

I like them! x

Firstly, a big geeky pat on the back for having the nerve to put pics up of only your third attempt, I'm still too nervous to put my pics on here ;oD

You're doing amazingly well, I know of some experienced techs who really struggle with French.

Like some others have mentioned, Holly (Fingernailfixer) has a great video demonstration on you tube for how to get a nice thin shellac French. Also, although some people prefer a more square tip French, I find it generally more flattering to do a more rounded smile line that is a slightly deeper shape than the natural shape at the base of the nail. I also use a #6 gel brush with IPA to tidy the smile line and any I may have on the skin prior to curing. I also only use one coat of white on the tip, regardless whether its cream puff or studio white.

So basically, in summary, well done!! Just a thinner coat on the tip, and a more rounded smile line and you'll be well on the road to Flawless French Shellac. Big hugs xxx

Latest posts

Back