What do you use to sterilise manicure tools?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's mixed with water then it will rust many tools eventually.

Soaking in hot water does nothing!!! Boiling for 10-15 mins will do a lot but why bother. Just use the right products and follow instructions!! It isn't hard to do once you have the right products!

But barbicide says its meant to be with water at least thats what I thought? Therefore they will rust as i used to leave mine in barbicide forever and forget to take out. :( What do you recommend to use then?

If it's mixed with water then it will rust many tools eventually.

Soaking in hot water does nothing!!! Boiling for 10-15 mins will do a lot but why bother. Just use the right products and follow instructions!! It isn't hard to do once you have the right products!

Well I leave my tweezers in there all day, every day and if I replace them it is because they are blunt not because they rust. The only thing I am more careful with is nail clippers, where the joints are - they seem particularly bad for corrosion. :wink2:

I use a combination of different products. I use mundo for soaking tweezers etc, and medizyme and meddis for my microderm bits. If I've got some medizyme/meddis on the go I give everything a go in it. I spray all my abrasives with the mundo stuff too. I'm never surprised when clients tell me I'm the only person they've seen do that...

I spray all my abrasives with the mundo stuff too. I'm never surprised when clients tell me I'm the only person they've seen do that...[/QUOTE]

I didn't even know about spraying files etc...i just use 1 for each client and give it to them. They are not that expensive, I've not heard of medi.....(forgot th ename now) is that better than mundo or are they all the same?

Well I leave my tweezers in there all day, every day and if I replace them it is because they are blunt not because they rust. The only thing I am more careful with is nail clippers, where the joints are - they seem particularly bad for corrosion. :wink2:

Your right actually the one thats rusting is the clippers, my tweezers etc are always ok however i did find that the cnd pusher seems to be going abit funny? weird i thought stainless steel rust at all?

What a great thread, thanks from me a super newbie too :) :Love:

So am I right in thinking I should throw away my files & buffers after every use?

At school we use Accel CS20,(they also make wipes, surface spray and 'hydrotherapy' which you would use to flush a pedicure spa)
I just bought a gallon for use at home. Compared to other products, this one is super easy to use. You pour it into your container and it's good for 14 days-- no mixing or diluting required.
If sharing with others, you can do a litmus paper test to make sure it's still the right concentration (if they don't dry their tools before putting them in)

After using my tools, I'll use soap and water to scrub my implements then dry them off, place into CS20 for 20 mins, then take out and rinse, then dry.
I haven't had a problem with rusting, just need to put a little oil in my nippers when they stick a little. 😊 ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394418112.555452.jpg

So am I right in thinking I should throw away my files & buffers after every use?

If they're just used on yourself, you can reuse them. What I do is when you finish with a client, give them the file and buff to take home (don't ask them to bring it back!) but definitely never reuse files and buffers on different clients!

I have been spraying my files, with mundo file and abrasive sanitiser is this a no no?

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Last edited:
Your right actually the one thats rusting is the clippers, my tweezers etc are always ok however i did find that the cnd pusher seems to be going abit funny? weird i thought stainless steel rust at all?

You get different grades of stainless steel. 316 grade will not rust. .304 will. .. and as usual ....it is cheaper! How sad actually admitting to know the grades of SS....

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I have been spraying my files, with mundo file and abrasive sanitiser is this a no no?

I also do the same & i have never had any problems. I refuse to buy a new fike & buffer for every single client.

I'm the same.. Plus I don't have the time to go through files etc to find a specific clients own nail file! I was always told as long as u spray them and scrub them with hot soapy water it would b ok...

Nicola! Xxx

Just looked and it's not sanitiser it's file and abrasive disinfectant....x

I tried Mundo recently (have used Barbicide for years). My tools started going rusty!
They are all good quality manicure tools (CND).
Any advice much appreciated x

I have exactly the same problem. Always use Barbicide with no problem. The store had no Barbicide so I grabbed Mundo and my tools have rusted including my good quality Calgel :( I am far from happy! Xxx

Has anybody actually complained to Mundo about the rusting of there tools? I followed all instructions and my tools are completely wrecked. I did contact mundo but they aren't taking any responsibility which is frustrating. They said the product has been extensively tested and they wouldn't have done this. They weren't cheap tools either. I'm inclined to take it further although the guy from mundo has told me I need to take it up with Ellisons who I purchased it from. I also used there tall glass jar with a metal insert and that rusted after one use and it didn't even have metal tools in it, just glass slides. Pics attached ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394549365.527019.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394549380.810906.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394549393.059886.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394549406.575977.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1394549413.110518.jpg

Has anybody actually complained to Mundo about the rusting of there tools? I followed all instructions and my tools are completely wrecked. I did contact mundo but they aren't taking any responsibility which is frustrating. They said the product has been extensively tested and they wouldn't have done this. They weren't cheap tools either. I'm inclined to take it further although the guy from mundo has told me I need to take it up with Ellisons who I purchased it from. I also used there tall glass jar with a metal insert and that rusted after one use and it didn't even have metal tools in it, just glass slides. Pics attached View attachment 58729View attachment 58730View attachment 58731View attachment 58732View attachment 58733

Wow is that from one use?

Has anybody actually complained to Mundo about the rusting of there tools? I followed all instructions and my tools are completely wrecked. I did contact mundo but they aren't taking any responsibility which is frustrating. They said the product has been extensively tested and they wouldn't have done this. They weren't cheap tools either. I'm inclined to take it further although the guy from mundo has told me I need to take it up with Ellisons who I purchased it from. I also used there tall glass jar with a metal insert and that rusted after one use and it didn't even have metal tools in it, just glass slides. Pics attached View attachment 58729View attachment 58730View attachment 58731View attachment 58732View attachment 58733

Yes me!!! It is absolutely unbelievable how much it corrodes your tools. I will never buy it again!!!

Nicola! Xxx

Yes me!!! It is absolutely unbelievable how much it corrodes your tools. I will never buy it again!!!

Nicola! Xxx

Hi Nicola,

Did you complain to mundo? What response did you get?

Wow is that from one use?

The jar insert and glass slide is but the tools aren't. They originally told me to clean them with a wire brush which I did although I used a soft brass brush as I felt wire would be too harsh. Now they're saying they wouldn't have said that!! I'm just about to call Ellisons now and see what there take is on it although I don't really feel it's there responsibility as they only sell the product, not make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back