What do you use to store custom blended gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phoebe_cat

Reaction score
Woo hoo! I'm doing my Brisa on 27th! Due to it being a quiet time of year, and the fact that I can't (make that don't wanna) wait till the next round of courses in May, I'm doing it in a 121 situation....bank manager, what bank manager.....

Anyway, where I live must be very stressful, as I see nail biter after nail biter and do a fair few L&P custom blends. I also do a lot of glitter tips. I want to offer these as a service in my gels too, so am ordering the coverage colours in preparation for my training.

I've got jars, bottles, tubs galore, that I store my custom colours and glitter mixes in for L&P, but I believe I'm right in thinking (not had training yet!!) that I will need to store my gel mixes in containers that are not see through so as they don't cure?!?

What do you all use? On the ibd stand at excel, I actually chatted to the educator there about this and she showed me her blends that she stored in stackable containers that were pink. She said she got them in Boots, but been there today and all they have are clear..... Any ideas?

i store mine in old gel pots
not much help to you sorry

but i have heard about the film canisters from a photographers i think these will be ok but not sure
hope you get the right answer soon xx

i store mine in old gel pots
not much help to you sorry

but i have heard about the film canisters from a photographers i think these will be ok but not sure
hope you get the right answer soon xx

Yeah, that's what I've found searching the site, old containers. But I'm ALL NEW at gel :green: so don't have any! (can you tell I'm excited, lol!)

Know what you mean about the film canisters, but this digital age we live in, don't know where I'd find them!!! Thanks for the idea though hun! :hug:

tin foil??
all wrapped up like little parcels?

clutching at straws here sorry?
maybe if you went into a photographers they would have loads of canisters or know where you might find some?
hth x

tin foil??
maybe if you went into a photographers they would have loads of canisters or know where you might find some?
hth x

Ok, remember I know very little about gel, I'm going on my Brisa course, did I mention that :green: but you know how you can get black film canisters n you can get opaque, cloudy, whiteish ones, would it be the black ones I'd need or would the cloudy ones keep out enough of the UV?...

ohh not sure i would say the black ones but dont quote me on that !!!

I actually mix mine as I go along. When I first started in Brisa I, like you didn't have any empty pots and couldn't find a suitable alternative.
I now use all my empty pots for custom blends and still mix up glitters a batch at a time:)

you could try putting some black tape around them if you can only find clear containers.

Aw man - Iv just chucked loads of empty gel pots out (the akzentz ones are fab) - I could have sent them on to you.

I go through loads of gel so my store of the pots will soon build up - if you want them.

I use old gel pots for the ones that I use often.

For other custom blends, I use the paint containers like found here, in paint by number kits. You can get them in the craft stores.:
PaintwoodOrn.kitmd.jpg

Then I store them in a pencil box (it holds 8 strips of 8 pots)
That way, I can see the colours at a quick glance without opening them AND it keeps me from making too much, because the pots are so tiny.
Makes it easier to take them around with me when I go mobile as well, and the clients can see the colours too.

I also use these to store my Water based acrylic paint. Instead of having a gazillion bottles at my table, I have a pencil box that holds all of them. Refill as needed.

Two pencil boxes ake up MUCH less space than using either the full bottles of paint AND regular UV Gel containers for storing the mixed colours.

hth's

(ps: in case you didn't understand, I only buy the paint containers, not the whole kit LOL)

Lisa,

I've got the pink stackable pots that the lady was talking about, but I got mine in Superdrug not Boots. HTH's

I'm not a gel person so might not be any good to you, but once in a pot, could you not store the pots in a box of some sort that would not let UV through.

Aw man - Iv just chucked loads of empty gel pots out (the akzentz ones are fab) - I could have sent them on to you.

I go through loads of gel so my store of the pots will soon build up - if you want them.

Yeah, that would be fab! Let me know when you get some spares again hun :green:

(ps: in case you didn't understand, I only buy the paint containers, not the whole kit LOL)

Why? Think of all the hours of fun you could have painting the little wooden people and horses, lol! :lol:

Lisa,

I've got the pink stackable pots that the lady was talking about, but I got mine in Superdrug not Boots. HTH's

I'm not a gel person so might not be any good to you, but once in a pot, could you not store the pots in a box of some sort that would not let UV through.

Had a quick look in my local Superdrug, but they didn't have them. Saying that, it's a really small branch, so I might have a look when next I'm in the town.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys :hug:

Hey Lisa,

You Can Get Wee Pots In Boots, They Sell Small Containers (kinda Like A Gel Pot) For People To Put Their Cosmetics In For Taking As Hand Luggage On Flights. They Are Cheap And Clear So You Can See At A Glance Which Colour Gel It Is. Hths X

Latest posts

Back