What does this guy use in his hair?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drake

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

I'm a guy who has long hair very similar to this guy's hair, however I'm stumped trying to figure out what product(s) he uses in his hair.

I've tried water-based pomade, matte wax, sea salt spray, mousse, leave-in conditioner, and texturizing cream. I've had closest results with the matte wax but it was still fairly far off. And using a blow dryer just made it look dry.

I'm sure there's technique involved as well which I'm probably not doing correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

upload_2015-12-23_17-53-32.png
upload_2015-12-23_17-54-46.png
upload_2015-12-23_17-56-58.png

Have you tried curling it for a beachy wave effect? If you haven't got natural wave in your hair like the pics it just won't go like that.

If he hasn't got a curl in his hair I'd suggest a body perm on greys then towel tried and something like tigi sugar shock or partially diffuse with a mouse or curl fluid x

He's got better hair than me so not fair! :(

Have you tried curling it for a beachy wave effect? If you haven't got natural wave in your hair like the pics it just won't go like that.

I have not tried curling it but yes my hair does have a natural wave to it. Tomorrow I'll try and get a picture up to show you guys what I'm working with haha.

If he hasn't got a curl in his hair I'd suggest a body perm on greys then towel tried and something like tigi sugar shock or partially diffuse with a mouse or curl fluid x

Your post raises a couple points - I haven't tried drying with a diffuser nor have I tried any sort of curl fluids.

He's got better hair than me so not fair! :(

Is that Bolton, CT? Would be interesting to run into a fellow Nutmegger on this site haha.

Also thank you for the suggestions so far!

I'm a stylist with curly hair and I have a secret ritual to get nice curls. Curls and waves are finiky but I have found a winning routine here it is:after conditioning hair scrunch towel blot it head over to soak up excess h20. Don't rub dry as it ruins waves.Scrunch in a product like Moroccan oil curl cream/bed heads curls rock curl cream or ag recoil.Scrunch in product after emulsifying it in your hands for distribution. Let hair almost completely air dry and finish off with a hair dryer on lo heat with lo air flow to not disturb curls.waves to much, head over using a scrunching motion this breaks up the product so it's not to crunchy for tacky product like curls rock and recoil, moroccan oils cream you can just let naturally dry as its a soft product.The trick is to not pull it apart or comb through it after combing it out with conditioner in it.The wave/curls set and form naturally when left to air dry and finish with a dryer on lo.I never difuse as it makes curs separated and stringy.I use a bit of aerosol hairspray when hair is dry to keep curls so I only wash my hair 1xweek and wet down and condition 1xweek.Curly and wavy hair doesn't need to be washed a whole lot as it is usually dry by nature and its good to let the natural oils build up a little bit so try skipping a shampoo and condition only in between shampooings. This cuts down on frizz. Make sure the dryer is on lo heat or cool setting as hot air frizzes hair easily. goodluck!

Is that Bolton, CT? Would be interesting to run into a fellow Nutmegger on this site haha.
No it's in the UK!

I have not tried curling it but yes my hair does have a natural wave to it. Tomorrow I'll try and get a picture up to show you guys what I'm working with haha.

Your post raises a couple points - I haven't tried drying with a diffuser nor have I tried any sort of curl fluids.

If you've got straight hair I'd go get a body perm!

If you look at the roots of his hair. It looks pretty smooth and straight.
So for editorial purposes I think they went in with a curling iron and then roughed everything up with some sea salt spray for that beachy/ lived in look. Most guys will look at you a little funny if you tell them they have to curl their hair but if he really wants the look he will probably need to. You can also teach him the method mentioned above by vividamnesia and that tends to work best on people with a lot of natural texture. That type of method is also sometimes called "hair plopping" or the deva- curl method. If you google it there will be tons of videos on it.

Ok, sorry for the delay but got a little tied up with the holiday.

The issues I'm encountering are that once I put product in (no matter which I use) I lose the volume. Also each 'strand' becomes thin. If I try to dry it a little more then my hair becomes dry and loses that wet look. It's weird, the style of hair in the original pictures looks wet and dry at the same time, which leads me to believe that I'm not using the correct product and also that I'm not doing the correct technique.

Anyway, as promised here is a pic of me. In the pic I let my hair fully air dry and there is no product in it.

View attachment 193181

Last edited:
Ok, sorry for the delay but got a little tied up with the holiday.

The issues I'm encountering are that once I put product in (no matter which I use) I lose the volume. Also each 'strand' becomes thin. If I try to dry it a little more then my hair becomes dry and loses that wet look. It's weird, the style of hair in the original pictures looks wet and dry at the same time, which leads me to believe that I'm not using the correct product and also that I'm not doing the correct technique.

Anyway, as promised here is a pic of me. In the pic I let my hair fully air dry and there is no product in it.

View attachment 193181

Your hair looks really cool!

I think your problem is that your hair is naturally much curlier than those pictures.

You can either get it relaxed slightly professionally or when you want it to look like those pictures dry it straight and loosely curl it with a large wand.

A friend of mine leaves her hair damp at bedtime and kind of wraps it in a t shirt overnight. It comes out beautiful! Also a good salt spray can make the hair separate like this in the 'surfer dude' look x

Your hair looks really cool!

I think your problem is that your hair is naturally much curlier than those pictures.

You can either get it relaxed slightly professionally or when you want it to look like those pictures dry it straight and loosely curl it with a large wand.

Thank you for the compliment :)

I think it's definitely more curly however I am able to straighten it out a little if I use a little product.

A friend of mine leaves her hair damp at bedtime and kind of wraps it in a t shirt overnight. It comes out beautiful! Also a good salt spray can make the hair separate like this in the 'surfer dude' look x

I've heard of guys wrapping their hair around a gym headband while they sleep but haven't attempted that one haha.

I have tried 2 salt sprays though, the Not Your Mothers brand and also IT Surf Spray. I must be a non responder because really the only thing I notice is the ends of my hair sticking together after application.

I'm still going to experiment but also I think I am just going to chalk this up to not really knowing what I'm doing and also not having God-tier stylists tuning up my locks haha.

Big 'Thank you!' to everyone who chimed in and helped out!

Latest posts

Back