What exactly IS qualified?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les

Reaction score
I have been trawling through the training threads and it has made me realise just how many legitamite courses there are.

I intend to do VCTC (hope I've got that the right way around - starting to get confused!) level 2 nail treatments and then level 2 nail enhancements. After that I'll go for manufacturers training in my chosen product. At the moment it looks like creative if I decide I like l&p and probably bio sculpture if I decide on gel.

Once I make it through all that I will have a little knowledge and will be very unskilled but will I be qualified? I would hope not but there does not appear to be a standard out there - or am I missing something?

At what point did you condisder yourselves qualified?

And thank you all for all the help and advice that you have posted here - priceless.

Leslie

You will have the qualification if you pass all your exams, as you will have the knowledge behind what you are going to be doing,
as for when you will be qualified to do a set of nails and charge for them is all down to your own skills and confidence,
so you will be qualified as long as you do well and are confident in your work, that is up to your own judgement hun

I always wonder who were the first people who decided that they were qualified to say that others were qualified?

Many new techs are qualified after doing their courses but experience and time also a big part in us all getting better and better. Remember when someone pass's their driving test they are qualified to drive but it takes a well for them to get better and better at it.

Many new techs are qualified after doing their courses but experience and time also a big part in us all getting better and better. Remember when someone pass's their driving test they are qualified to drive but it takes a well for them to get better and better at it.

This is a good question and I have to say that I agree with Lelli's reply. You are only qualified to the level at which you have trained and passed the required exams at that level. Then comes experience and this, I believe, is where you truely learn.

I agree that there needs to be a set standard of qualification, but I also feel that qualification (passing an exam and getting a certificate of training) is not everything. My concern is this; you can get somebody who just passes say with 50% and somebody who excels with 95%. Same qualification, but big difference in result and ability.

What are your thoughts?

This is a good question and I have to say that I agree with Lelli's reply. You are only qualified to the level at which you have trained and passed the required exams at that level. Then comes experience and this, I believe, is where you truely learn.

I agree that there needs to be a set standard of qualification, but I also feel that qualification (passing an exam and getting a certificate of training) is not everything. My concern is this; you can get somebody who just passes say with 50% and somebody who excels with 95%. Same qualification, but big difference in result and ability.

What are your thoughts?

I have to say I agree with this answer. I did a make up artist course in 2003-2004, part of this was the VTCT (Vocational Training Charitable Trust) Level 2 certificate in Nail Treatments. There were people there that really didn't put in the effort, but came out with the same certificate that I did. Some of us put hours and hours into it because we wanted to be the best we could, a friend of mine went into college on the last day it was open, 3 weeks after our particular course had finished, to collect her portfolio, and a couple of the "skivers" were there doing last minute rush assessments, so that they could get their certificates:eek:. We heard a rumour that the more people that pass their course, the more money the college gets for future courses, and this is why those people get away with this sort of thing. To me, that then means that those slackers will have the same chance of getting a job as me, but I'll be much more dedicated. The employer won't have any way to judge us apart. (obviously I've done more training since then which then does give me the edge, just trying to make a point here)

During my training my tutor said that when you do your 100th full set of nails you will still feel like a beginner.. if you think you have finaly made it, you havn't!! I spose i took from that; that you never stop learning.. and just when you think you have got it down pack.. you will learn something new.. ((well i hope that continues to be the case...at the time the module we were doing said something about being a pro after your 100th set.. thankfully our tutor was a realist!!))

During my training my tutor said that when you do your 100th full set of nails you will still feel like a beginner.. if you think you have finaly made it, you havn't!! I spose i took from that; that you never stop learning.. and just when you think you have got it down pack.. you will learn something new.. ((well i hope that continues to be the case...at the time the module we were doing said something about being a pro after your 100th set.. thankfully our tutor was a realist!!))

Sorry to hijack the thread, is that you with Dave Grohl? OMG, how did your knees not give out?:green:

Sorry to hijack the thread, is that you with Dave Grohl? OMG, how did your knees not give out?:green:
Photoshop babes.. I can only dream of being that close to the grohlman!! YES!! I actually spent 20 minutes of my life photoshopping Dave into a picture of me.. not one time but.. many.. sad pathetic me!! :green:

Does that make me a qualified photoenhancer.. no i thought not..

Oops.. sorry wrong thread ..not chit chat.. carry on, dont mind me!:smack:

I did my training through creative and there system I think is fab, and the support network is also excellent I have become friends with my teacher and enjoy catching up to chat about nails, as for qualified I definatly think its personal judgment Ive had my own nails done for alot of years and have been very fussy I think In myself I know whats required to do the perfect set of nails it just takes lots of practice to get it right, and still working towards that.

More or less anyone can get a "qualification" but personally I think it's the experience and knowledge that counts. Just because you have a paper qualification doesn't mean to say you are any better qualified than someone who hasn't gone one, that someone may have vast experience and knowledge. Not just talking about nails here.

Deb379

What a fantastic question!

I've been doing this 'lark' for nearly 20 years; I did lots of training; I've always supported formal qualifications (e.g. NVQ's); I've even written a text book and its second edition.

I'd love to be able to answer with an unquestionable and definitive answer!

But.........I can't!

What I can say is an idea or two on what isn't qualified! Any technician that hasn't studied the natural nail indepth; any technician that has done a course (or 2) that involves a few days learning; any technician that has no idea about health and safety (legally and with the Habia Code of Practice); client consultation, professionally and in line with insurance requirements; any technician that hasn't provided nail services for a very wide variety of clients that happily pay for the results; any nail technician that doesn't understand the basic scientific concepts of the products they use; any technician that doesn't follow the basic requirements of the Habia CoP........need I go on...? And this isn't just refering to a situation where a technician believes they have done this. It refering to a situation where these requirements have been 'overseen' by a genuinely experienced (or 'qualified' technician)

The comment on having done your 100th full set and still feel like a beginner is spot on! But what about understanding your 100th naural nail problem?

Latest posts

Back