What Friend or Relative Has Openly Opposed Your Nail Career?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great topic for us to share!
My parents have always supported me although my Dad certainly doesn't believe that people would pay money to have their nails done! I have a long way to go before I am a real nail tech though and so just keep plugging away with my beauty work.
The comments about not being supported and just getting on with it are interesting. I think you have to be a very strong and emotionally confident person to not need support. My ex was never very supportive of what I did. In fact he would undermine my confidence and belittle me because I never earnt much money (he sells cars and makes loads of money working part time!). I never realised how much he destroyed me until he left. My friends all told me that they saw me visibly blossom in the following years.
My lovely new hubbie encourages me to go for everything and has more belief in me than I do in myself. I'm not in this business for money but everything I do earn makes me feel good. I promised hubbie that I would pay for this years holiday and gradually I'm getting there and it feels great!
For those that don't have support then hopefully those of us on this site can be the support instead.

yeah i think you do need support , otherwise how you gonna go on, i have always been supported from my family about what i do , and i believe it is good to strive for better things, coz i wanted to do nails and beauty for ages but kept putting it off , and in the end talked to hubby and he pointed out why not do it coz it will fit in with our life , and i will like it aswell , also i would stop moping round lol wondering what to do with myself :biggrin: , and it has cost us a fair bit of money , and i havent really earnt anything back properly yet , but it will be ace when i do , at least i can pay the odd bill or two

Well, I decided that there are 3 ways of making money in this life:- sex, drugs & beauty & seeing as I'd be no good professionally at the 1st 2 I thought beauty it is!!! LOL!

I'm in training after doing a few different things but haven't met any opposition. My boyfriend thought it was a fashion thing a few years ago when I first thought of doing it but since then a few nail bars have opened up in my little town so he has changed his tune. I think they could see from how much I was spending on getting my own nails done that there is money to be made.

At the end of the day you've got to do what's best for you.

OMG I seem so selfish compared to you guys cos I don't give a damn what anybody else thinks (apart from my husband)...although this has been conditioned in to me over a long period of time.

I myself have only just started out but my sister has just had a baby so really everyone's a bit more interested in him at the moment (well he is gorgeous).

Only very recently started getting close to my Dad but he's got his own stuff to think about at the moment and I don't even think my Mum knows, due to her being extremely self involved and not really caring about what other people are doing unless it effects her in some way.

However, my husband is absolutely wonderful and says that he will support me in whatever makes me happy which he backed up by paying half of my CND foundation course for my birthday (early though cos it's not for a few weeks).:biggrin:

I started just over a year ago and my husband was all for it. I had my own nails done for a long time and wanted to try something different asfter returning from abroad. I am older (37) so i think this helps as you know your own mind better. There are only two issues my husband has

1 the amount of catalogues and mags i look through
2 the amount of equipment i MUST have !!!!

although he cant say anything as he is a joiner and could fit B&Q out with his power tools !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eileen
Funky Fit Nails

I am so with you beachbabe,
It probably is great to have support from partners/family etc but is it really so important??
If they REALLY opposed what you were doing, would you feel obliged to give it up to keep the peace and conform to their ideals??!!!!
I know I wouldn't.
Maybe because I'm a single working/studying parent,my views are a bit too independent, but I don't want to wake up in 20 years and say 'I wish ........'

Wish people wouldn't leave this piggin' soapbox lying around!!!!!!

Debz xxx

My dad was a bit sceptical at first... I've just 'dropped out' of uni. I've actually left after two years with a diploma, not a degree, but although he supports me leaving, he's worried that I am 'giving up my dream' of being a writer. However, I know he's been doing a bit of research on the sly, and asking friends and work about their nails, and I know he will always support me. He's also bank-rolling my training. My mum is the same, and my partner thinks it's a great idea - he's a conservationist so is used to people poo-poo-ing his work.
My friends were the biggest obstacle - they are all completing their degrees, mainly because they want to work in industries where they are a must (forensic science and geography as examples), and they too thought I was dumbing down or selling myself short, but I told them I'd rather do something stimulating and creative that work as someone's PA. Without boasting, I have good graphic and advertising skills, and that was the industry I was doing my degree in, but I've become disillusioned with it all, and they haven't quite caught up yet!

Just thought I'd let you know about a conversation I just had.

My old friend (we met when we were 4!) has just made me feel down. I don't think she meant to though. I just called her (we keep in touch every so often), and told her about my nail training, and my new business. She asked about the prices, I told her £25, then you have to have the rebalance every 2-3 weeks at £20. Her reply was "God that gets expensive doesn't it?!". Later on in the conversation, she said "So what else are you gonna do?" I am guessing she doesn't see nails & beauty as a "real job" then!:rolleyes:

Teena, if your friend thinks it's expensive, then she obviously can't afford your services, and she's definetly not the kind of client you want!! LOL!!

Teena_B said:
Just thought I'd let you know about a conversation I just had.

My old friend (we met when we were 4!) has just made me feel down. I don't think she meant to though. I just called her (we keep in touch every so often), and told her about my nail training, and my new business. She asked about the prices, I told her £25, then you have to have the rebalance every 2-3 weeks at £20. Her reply was "God that gets expensive doesn't it?!". Later on in the conversation, she said "So what else are you gonna do?" I am guessing she doesn't see nails & beauty as a "real job" then!:rolleyes:

Teena if it were me chick, being the sarcastic minx I am I'd say something like 'Wellll you see it's all about prioritisation isn't it, I mean, some people care about the appearance of their nails and hands and some...well.....don't'
:twisted:

J xx

I too am a late starter .. actually thought i'd be quite alone in that until I read this thread ... I qualified as a nurse and then spent many years bringing up my kids and helping family business ... accounts! yuk! .... My mum suffered with cancer for the last 5 years and I guess i put my life on hold a bit because i knew she would need me to be there for her at sometime ... she moved in with me in april but unfortunately passed away in June (she was and is my reson for being) I miss her so much ... but she told me that it was my time now and I should do something for me that makes me happy .... nails is it! I love them with a passion .... and yesterday passing my first course I knew mum would be proud. She was beautiful vibrant youthful and passionate and I want to make her proud. She has backed me always in my choices (even wrong ones and there have been many lol) and know she would love this choice ... we spent many girly times getting our nails done and our faces ironed lol
My partner is so supportive and has helped me all the way with fees and love etc, and I cant wait til I can earn some money and pay my own way, independantly at last, waited a long time for that one, ... as for others if they dont care then ***** to 'em, that what i say lol of course you do find that when a person does have a set done they suddenly appreciate the beauty and hard work :)
Do what you love
Take care

Joanne xx

Jo Jo said:
Teena if it were me chick, being the sarcastic minx I am I'd say something like 'Wellll you see it's all about prioritisation isn't it, I mean, some people care about the appearance of their nails and hands and some...well.....don't'
:twisted:

J xx
Jo I do love your wit chic :twisted: !!!

I'm so lucky cos my family and my lovely wonderful hubby r totally behind me on my nail venture !! In fact I'm leaving my employed status next week to become a full time nail tech. Can't wait. I've been doing it part time for 6 months or so but there is demand for more hours so I'm going for it.
My sister did initially say "but that's a bimbo's job" - well that went down like a lead balloon !! She's great bout it now.
My hubby only has issues with the amount of stock / magazines / bottles of varnish etc etc etc. I drive him potty with all my gear and he drives me potty by putting it all away for me and then I can't find it !!!
I'm v lucky to have supportive family and friends and can't wait to be a full time nail geek !

Debsidoo99,

Wow that's great and I wish you luck and good fortune in your new venture

Luv

Hollyballoo said:
Jo I do love your wit chic :twisted: !!!

Hee hee I'm bad! I'm as sharp as a knife me Paola, too sharp for my own good sometimes! Chris has to drag me away from confrontations on many an occasion! And to think my parents paid for me have a 'proper' education for me to be a loud mouth, they are sooo proud! J xx

Latest posts

Back