What Gap Do You Leave Around the Nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sophiegees

Reaction score
Hello

On my manicure course we were told to leave a gap all the way around the nail when polishing (except the free edge). How much gap do you leave? Is it large enough to be visible, or is it so small that it is not really noticeable? I am assuming you would do the same with Shellac as with normal polishing.

Also when polishing or using Shellac, do you ever get the product on the skin and have to use an orange stick to remove it, or is this just beginners territory?!

Thanks xx

You're meant to get it as close to the edges as possible, without touching them. Beginners tend to leave a larger gap to ensure it doesn't touch but gradually with practice you get closer :)

As for cleaning up, yes.. I used to have to do this LOADS, since using Shellac though I don't do it half as much as a 'clean-up' used to take place at the end of treatment but with Shellac, if it's on the skin it'd be cured and won't come off with a simple clean up so I HAD to improve my polishing, it really did me a lot of favours, and now I only have to clean up (before curing) every odd little slip - it does get easier - watching vids for a perfect polish is also a great help.

Thank you Emily S for your advice. Yes I did Shellac on my own nails yesterday and have left huge gaps. Im going to practice hard then on just leaving the tinniest gap.

Im still getting it on the skin, and am now thinking that when I don't its because I am leaving the gap too big. I am really going to focus on this now.

Thank you so much for your reply xx

Leaving a small margin (little less than a millimeter ) can help to enhance the overall look of the nails ,

if the margin is to wide they will look like they have grown to much!

With shellac I go in very close with my base coat and pretty much cover the whole nail , and leave a tiny free margin with the color , then with the top coat i cover right over all color and the base coat area ,

I especially do this with rock star nails ,

I think of it like a cheese toasty :)

Latest posts

Back