What gives us our passion for nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good thread Gigi!

I never thought of doing nails until a friend of mine told me about it. She showed me how to do it and *bang* I knew I would like that kind of work. Not because I liked nails, but because I have always liked working with my hands, like stitching, sewing, knitting etc... I have also always had a dream of having something on my own, being my own boss.

I found a course and started out at once. The first 6-7 years it was a real passion. I didn't think of anything else than nails, my salon, work etc... From the minute I woke up until I went to bed. I worked so very hard, day in and day out. I got clients, I built my salon, I had waiting lists, I became well known for my work, I made GOOD money... When I was on top of this, it felt so very good. BUT then I realised that my nails and my salon wasn't all my life. I was in the middle of the thirties and didn't have a life other than WORK and my family! If you see this from another view (not the fact that you all love nails etc...) it's sad, isn't it?

I've had ups and downs the last years. Some days I feel really passionated and some days it's just bl*** work (sorry...:)). However after I began competing I have felt the passion coming back more and more. I also know for sure that my nails at the salon have become better. The competition has given me something new to strive (?) for I think...:) It has also given me the opportunity to travel, my other passion in life...:) Right now, life is good and I am really looking forward going to London and Excel.

Well, I don't know if I've answered your question Gigi, but I've written a lot...:-D

C.

Ive always been interested in nails and its something i had always wanted to learn.

I used to be mesmorised when i used to get my nails done and always thought one day i will do that. My first nail experience was a bad one the technician who did my nails cut all my cuticles and did a really bad set which you think would put me off but actually it didnt!! I had a very good friend who re-did my nails and she really inspired me.

I just had to wait till the time was right and now nearly a year on i LOVE what i do and the fact that i learn new things everyday:green:

As a long term nail biter I used to look at my friends nails and wish I could break the habit, eventually I did. I polished and primped them constantly, doing different colours and designs.
I started having my nails enhanced and then I was hooked, my nail tech went to live in Spain, couldn't find another I liked. So I tried to do them myself, found this site, came on asked a question, got a few subtle replies :lol:
took them on board, got trained and have never regretted it. I love nails, meeting the people, everything about it. It's also opened doors for me, I have met people, friends, got interested in other aspects of the nail and beauty business that I never even thought about.
I love waking up in the morning knowing I don't have to do a job I hate anymore, I am one lucky old bugger :hug:

im not finished training yet, but here goes!

my mum used to let me paint her nails since i was about 5, (looking back, she probably took the polish off and re did it when i was asleep!)

anyway, i always loved doing it, and always begged her to take it off so i could do it again!

i am artistic and love colour, so fast foward a few years and i decided that i should do hairdressing (what a mistake that is!) and i wanted to do "stage make-up" as an evening class, and asked everyone in my class and no one else wanted to, but my firend said "i'd do the nails with you.."

and that was a whole year ago! so i went online and found salongeek and researched for months, then decided that i wanted to make my career from nails, and here i am!

loving every bit of learning about nails from my educator and from all the geeks who've helped me!

end of big long useless post!

:)

I think what gave me my passion for nails must be the same thing that gives a plastic surgeon his/her passion for what they do.

I think finding I had the ability to completely remodel the look of someones hands and seeing their resulting JOY is what to this day still gives me a tremendous amount of satisfaction and pleasure and what keeps the 'fire burning' in me.

To know that you can really alter a person's perception of themselves and therefore to some little extent, their life is amazing. To be able to give someone the self esteem they lacked or to enable them to be more bold and self assured because they are more confident makes me feel that I am doing something really good.

Some people feel that doing nails is such a frivolous thing but it really isn't because you really can alter a person's life .. I'm not meaning to sound too dramatic but it is true and I have done it many times and been thanked for it many times ... so it is very important to some.

I've had brides sobbing that what I did made their wedding day and flowers sent to me when someone has got a job that they were confident enough to interview for because of their nails ... I've had a few guys who daren't ask a girl out who did after having their nails done by me .. so many things I could tell you. Maybe you have had some of the same?

I think finding I had the ability to completely remodel the look of someones hands and seeing their resulting JOY is what to this day still gives me a tremendous amount of satisfaction and pleasure and what keeps the 'fire burning' in me.

To know that you can really alter a person's perception of themselves and therefore to some little extent, their life is amazing. To be able to give someone the self esteem they lacked or to enable them to be more bold and self assured because they are more confident makes me feel that I am doing something really good.

If I was 'out there' that would drive me also, I know that when I do my own nails, or do manage to get a nice set applied by someone else, that I am a completely different person and people close to me notice that too. I had a set of amazing stilletto's by Ladybgemini last year and it bought out an out going facet to me even I didn't know. I even (apparently) dressed differently for a few days.

I have to say its hard not to read a lot of these replies and think 'yeah me too'.........Pinpointing the passion for nails came quickly but the many different sides of it I read through many posts. Its been an enlightening topic, certainly for me a very positive one.

I think what gave me my passion for nails must be the same thing that gives a plastic surgeon his/her passion for what they do.

Some people feel that doing nails is such a frivolous thing but it really isn't because you really can alter a person's life .. I'm not meaning to sound too dramatic but it is true and I have done it many times and been thanked for it many times ... so it is very important to some.

I've had brides sobbing that what I did made their wedding day and flowers sent to me when someone has got a job that they were confident enough to interview for because of their nails ... I've had a few guys who daren't ask a girl out who did after having their nails done by me .. so many things I could tell you. Maybe you have had some of the same?

I have a client who is 63 who first came to me over 2 years ago. She admitted she was deeply ashamed of her hands and when her son announced his engagement she prayed it would be winter so that she could wear gloves.

Her hands and nails were awful, horny fingers like a builder, ingrained dirt like a greengrocer, inflamed hangnails and broken damaged nails.

She has learned to wear gloves for heavy jobs, washing up and gardening. She uses her homecare items religiously and comes every 4 weeks for a Spa manicure. She is far too heavy on her hands to wear enhancements (we've tried) and keeps her nails short though for special occasions and holidays she has a set of Popits.

Her hands are now perfectly acceptable and well groomed. It has altered her whole life (no exaggeration) and I just love being a part of that:)

My passion for starting on my nail journey was having rubbish natural nails (flat nails that fan, nice!) and being sure there was a way of making all nails beautiful. I had never had enhancements before I did my course and then did my own, but I love the transformation and I agree with Geeg it does change peoples attitudes and confidence. I have a client who recently got engaged and when she 'removes' her nails she is convinced her ring is less sparkly!!!

Her hands and nails were awful, horny fingers like a builder, ingrained dirt like a greengrocer, inflamed hangnails and broken damaged nails.

She has learned to wear gloves for heavy jobs, washing up and gardening. She uses her homecare items religiously and comes every 4 weeks for a Spa manicure. Her hands are now perfectly acceptable and well groomed.

My riding instructor has hands that look in need of tlc, maybe I should offer her an Almond Spa Mani? I don't have the confidence to suggest it to her though although we are getting friendly socially so maybe I will!!

The thing I love most about this job is changing the way people look and feel......

I love making people feel good and I love the fact that I can't put off finishing my "nail art projects" like I do so many of my other "art projects"....I finish each one as they sit there. It feeds my need for creativity and my desire to make people happy and feel pretty and cared for.

Also, I have been making spa products for about ten years and LOVE that I get to incorporate my love of that into my nail business by making my own scrubs, lotions, etc. with essential oils and organic products....

I guess all in all I am excited to see where I can take the nail industry in my town. I want to intriduce clients to better ways to experience nail services, best products, great nail health and sanitation and really going that extra mile to make people say "wow"

I'm not at all sure what gave me my passion for my nails.
I can't think of anything specific.....
UNLESS you want to blame my old habit of biting them... and breaking that habit?
Turning a sow's ear into a silk purse and all that:confused:

I can remember when I was 13, and wearing pharmacy 'glue-on' nails....
and I'd file them a bit to fit me better...to the shape that I liked.
And eventually, I became bored and the VERY FIRST TIME I did nail art was at Xmas...
Think back.....24yrs ago. Yup, 24yrs ago was my first foray into nail art.
I ran about with "candy cane" finger nails.

Now? I just want to see beautiful nails, whatever shape/size/art/no-art.... just want them beautiful.
OKKKKKKKKKKKKK, the artist in me SCREAMS for art most days..... and the more I learn, the more I want to do.

But the more I apply enhancements and the better I get.. and the closer I get to achieving Geeg's level of 'beauty' in that solar-oil advert that I LOVE so very much.....the happier I am.
And when I have an off day, and miss the mark, I'm upset with myself....

Hi I got interested in nails after a friend of mine used to do them, but they didn't last two minutes, the last time she did them for me I was going to a friends wedding and I rung her and asked her if she would come and sort the nail out and she said no as she didn't work on a Saturday, I was shocked, I ended up using superglue at the time to stick it back on ( Naughty now I know lol)
So did a manicure and pedicure course loved that so then did an IBD Gel course then a Backsratchers Dip and Tip course, I was offered to rent a chair, but I didn't take it as I didn't feel confident enough now I wish I had.
I have a medical problem at the moment waiting on a couple of ops so I wanted to still do more practise so have done the EN Courses and have passed two of them with Credit wanted a distinction though lol the En courses at the moment are just to keep my practise up.
What I love is like I have a friend with Depression and when I do her nails its like a transformation, as you say it's like having your hair done makes you feel so good and she is so happy so it makes me feel good that it makes her feel good iykwim.
My Mum had a stroke last year and gets quite depressed as well as it left her with some disabilities and again when I do her pedicure, manicure and then paint her nails you can see in her face she feels better.
Also I think a lot of people see you as someone they can trust so they tell you things they wouldn't tell anyone else and when they go they leave happy and content so again it makes both you and the customer feel good.
I get a buzz when I see the end results its like wow they look good, then I think I should have done this and I should have done that and I think how I will do them different/better next time.
I just love love love it Can't wait to do my CND Conversion course.
Sorry went on a bit lol :)

I have always loved doing nails..........first began experimenting with falsies and tips at 15!!
I can remember going into labour with my now almost 9 yr old and being determined to finish off my nails b4 going to the hospital............bright orange and glittery with matching toes.........the midwife was amazed when I told her and got all the other midwives to come and have a look!!

I think no matter whether ur hair or make-up is done or not, or what ur wearing matters, when people see u have nice nails they can tell that u take care of urself.....it's one of the first things I look at when I meet people.

Iv alway loved having my nails done and doing my friends and family.Hoping to be a great nail tec when iv done lots and lot more traning.:eek:.Im not one to give up lol.Still got a long way to go BUT LOVING IT ALL THE WAY.xxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

nails is a passion of mine...i love doing them..i mean there are days when you just do nails , nails , nails , nails , nails and you get sick , your fingers are red rare but after a few days i just miss them again..im not an arty farty girl but love to try something new with acrylic , shape etc..

i find it hard to see people doing nails just for a job..i think you need ur heart and soul into your job to be sucessful:green:

I had been having my nails done years...always liked nice nails but couldn't grow mine very well.

I have passion but I wouldn't do this if I wasn't getting paid...(if that makes sense) I think part of the passion is the fact that you are earning money doing what you love...for that I am grateful...How many people do we hear say "i hate my job"

I enjoy every set of nails I do...I get a high from clients feeling good about their nails...I love looking at pics of nails....I adore watching demos....Nails is in my heart but the money keeps it there.

If I was doing nails for free I don't think I would get the same feeling..its like being acknowledged that you have achieved something.

Done get me wrong...I don't JUST do nails for the money but have to be realistic and as much as I love nails it IS my income....I am just lucky to be earning doing what I love.

To answer the question...I think its my clients that give me passion...they are happy...keep coming back and that gives me the passion and drive to carry on...without clients i think the confidence and passion would be compromised.

Hope this comes across how i meant it too and not the oposite..:hug:

Last edited:
Wow its been a while!

I have stepped back from nails for a year now I have found it a great oppertunity to reflect on my little achivements (and they really are a drop in the ocean compared to some! missing you scratchers xxx)

Well my point is I can't stop thinking about nails, every creative thought i have is always nail related.

In my opinion passion is when every day even if you are not actively producing sets of great nails you are thinking and dreaming of doing so!

I miss develpoing my skills. Trying new ideas and being in the competition circuit.:cry:

i got into nails by accident, but since i did, i was hooked - my passion comes from doing a set of nails that the client is sooooo thrilled with and i get mega tips from it - then get told, ive never had nails that looked like this before - this type of comment drives me to get even better. its such a joy to please a client that is soooo happy with her nails and didnt even realise that nails could look so good. i love doing a set of NATURAL looking free edges - and the client dont even know which ones ive treated. that has to be the best

Technically, I am a liscenced cosmetologist. I have NEVER done hair in a salon except to help out a coworker with a shampoo when I was starting out. I originally thought I wanted to do hair. Of course you are required to spend a certain amount of time on nail care, etc. and although my instructor was not extremely versed when it came to the "nail" part of the course she made sure I had good products to work with and tried to find people to help me. The first time I ever tried my hand at L&P I knew that was what I wanted to do and my instructor allowed me the freedom to pursue it. I have been a liscensed beauty professional for over 20 years. I have gone through many highs and lows both professionally and personally. I LOVE what I do. That is not to say I never have a bad day or a frustrating client...or three to be exact. LOL! You still must find a balance between work, family, yourself (finding time for me is my biggest challenge but I am really working on it), friends, and other interests in my life. Yes, I make a nice living doing something I feel passionate about and for that I feel very fortunate. I find an enormous sense of accomplishment and satisfaction to have a client sit in my chair and tell me when I have finished that their nails have never looked so great and know they truly mean it. To me it is art. I will never forget the first time I saw the Solar Oil ad with the dripping oil that Gigi did. At the time I had no clue who did those nails but I spent hours mixing powder to get that look. It inspired me. It challenged me. To me it is art and I still LOVE that photo.

The relationships that have resulted from my profession are such a gift. I continue to learn from other nail professionals, be inspired by them, and challenge myself. You can never stop learning and I have gained from both good and bad experiences. It is also a great joy to have opportunities to share my experience, skill, knowledge...whatever you want to label it as... anyway it is so awesome to share with other nail professionals and see them take that and run with it. To help someone work through something they are strugling with and see them "get it" is so rewarding. That is how we all grow. To keep an open mind, to give freely and share. That is how we all keep our passion alive.

So YES! I love what I do and I consider that a wonderful gift.

Bagpus, I was about to write the same as you did, about the income from doing nails. I agree with you. The fact that I can do something I like, something that other people like and on top of that, get a good salary from it, THAT's what gives me the passion. To know, deep inside me, that I am not only a successful nailtech, but also a businesswoman who managed to build my company, do my accounts, pay my bills and get a payed. It gives me an enormous freedom.

I would also like to mention that my passion for nails has given me friends, all over the world. AND I have had the opportunity to travel all over Europe to different shows. Going to shows and demos, meeting other nailtechs, compete, that also gives me inspiration to continue and strive to be better. As you can see, for me, it's a package of things, not only one. The daily passion comes from happy clients, but in the long run, I think it's my strive to be better which gives me the passion. I am the person who need goals, when I've reached one, I need a new one, if not, it becomes kind of boring. Hmmm... difficult to write in English, but I hope it made sense. :)

C.

Bagpus, I was about to write the same as you did, about the income from doing nails. I agree with you. The fact that I can do something I like, something that other people like and on top of that, get a good salary from it, THAT's what gives me the passion. To know, deep inside me, that I am not only a successful nailtech, but also a businesswoman who managed to build my company, do my accounts, pay my bills and get a payed. It gives me an enormous freedom.

I would also like to mention that my passion for nails has given me friends, all over the world. AND I have had the opportunity to travel all over Europe to different shows. Going to shows and demos, meeting other nailtechs, compete, that also gives me inspiration to continue and strive to be better. As you can see, for me, it's a package of things, not only one. The daily passion comes from happy clients, but in the long run, I think it's my strive to be better which gives me the passion.
C.

I am the person who need goals, when I've reached one, I need a new one, if not, it becomes kind of boring. Hmmm... difficult to write in English, but I hope it made sense. :)

Makes perfect sense to me ..... I'm exactly the same. :hug:

Latest posts

Back