What if distributors asked to see your insurance annually?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
I was thinking the other night and wondered in order to try and help maintain professional standards in the industry could the distributors help in that role by insiting that Technicians/Salons produce their insurance on a annual basis?

Not one of the 5 people that I currently buy from have ever asked to see my insurance on it's renewall date, and wondered is this another step to try and tighten up again the poor practice. Of cousre it won't eliminate but it could help the fight?

Is this practical?

Will it help in the reduction of NNS in getting hold of products?

Is it beneficial to the industry as a whole?

What are your thoughts?

This is a good idea, but it may take time which ultimately is money for the distributors.

Just as an aside, my insurance expires at the end of this month and a client of mine commented on it the other day as a reminder LOL - new certificate arrived today.

I think that's a great idea. :green: It would stop people with no training from working on the public. Well, some of them. There's always e-bay.:rolleyes: How practical would it be to put in place, though?

Here in the states, it is required to show proof of insurance when we renew our cosmetology licenses. You don't have insurance.... you don't get the license renewed and of course when that happens, you are put on a "watch " list and someone from the cosmetology licensing will be paying you a visit just to make sure either yes you are insured or no you aren't but are still working.;)

It's a great idea. Aston & Fincher do this, by way of expiry date on your buying card. No new insurance no new buying card.

It's a great idea. Aston & Fincher do this, by way of expiry date on your buying card. No new insurance no new buying card.

Ellisons do the same.

Marlise

oh but it looks like a great concept on paper..in reality..we have illegal nail/hair /skin techs out there working. Seems to be more nail then hair or skin..but the supply shops do not check licenses very well also, many many times I have gone in to a new distributor and have boughten product and haven't been asked for my license to show proof that I am a licensed professional.
I have a Hair/nail client who has a twin sister in another state, the twin (Tammi) is a licensed nail tech, Pam (my client) just uses her sisters license to buy wholesale over here..lol

I guess what I am trying to say is that there isn't any fool proof way for keeping everyone honest. But every little bit helps.

I've not used this Supplier so I didn't know they had this system in palce but but good on them for it.

so if they can do it then there''s no reason why others can't :idea:

I've not used this Supplier so I didn't know they had this system in palce but but good on them for it.

so if they can do it then there''s no reason why others can't :idea:

Just what I was thinking. It would be interesting to hear what other distributers think.

I can see what you are gettiing at but what about those who stop working on the public because they've had a family, retired or just hate the general public. They may still want to go on working on family and friends. What then ?

I just don't think this would work.
I can hear it now...The dog ate my certificate...It just hasn't arrived yet...., this is in my maiden name, but it is mine....and I need the stock right now...I have been a loyal customer for x years........I don't think the distributors have the time or the extra staff it would take to 'police' this.

Possibly a solution would be that you would have to show valid insurance every time you attended a course to update your training.

Downside to that, of course, is that most folks who don't have insurance don't care about updating their education either.

I can see what you are gettiing at but what about those who stop working on the public because they've had a family, retired or just hate the general public. They may still want to go on working on family and friends. What then ?

Good point - but I still think it wise to have insurance even if only working on friends your nan etc. - you can still cause inujury to some one no matter what relationship they are to you and god forbid it be permanent what they going do it puts them in a difficult position?!

In fact I know of a hair dresser that was threated by court action after not doing a patch test with henna and the acquantance ended up in A&E with problems breathing the reactin was so extreme.

So it always pays to have protection better safe than sorry for the cost of £30 versus losing your life savings IMO

Surley it still best to be have insurance - you can still cause inujury to some one no matter what relationship they are to you and god forbid it be permanent what they going do it puts them in a difficult position?!

In fact I know of a hair dresser that was threated by court action after not doing a patch test with henna and the acquantance ended up in A&E with problems breathing the reactin was so extreme.

So it always pays to have protection better safe than sorry for the cost of £30 versus losing your life savings IMO

I can see your point, I honestly did not think of my friends and family suing me - what a sad world

I just don't think this would work.
I can hear it now...The dog ate my certificate...It just hasn't arrived yet...., this is in my maiden name, but it is mine....and I need the stock right now...I have been a loyal customer for x years........I don't think the distributors have the time or the extra staff it would take to 'police' this.

Possibly a solution would be that you would have to show valid insurance every time you attended a course to update your training.

Downside to that, of course, is that most folks who don't have insurance don't care about updating their education either.

Well thats hard cheese to those if the industry wants better standard then they've got to be willing to take a harder line - i know there in business but sometimes we do have to make sacrifices to make things better. Its so easy to make excuses - I'm not having a go, just trying to open this up for more discussion.

We all know there's are so many Non_geeks out there that don't train but all want to buy the products so if all the industry took this practice up of no certifcate no product its got to have some possitive effect on against poor practice surely?

At Creative we always (when I was there anyway) made the student pay for their first years annual insurance at the end of the course BEFORE we would let them buy anything more than their original kit for the course. We would then send off on their behalf and we had their check made out to the insurance comapny. There was never any doubt that they would get the insurance cover if they had passed the Creative Foundation course.

Insurance companies are gamblers ... pure and simple ... they cover everyone who requests it on the gamble that they will win more than they will loose by doing so. AND they DO.

It would be a nightmare to implement a system to check every customer's insurance every year and why should I as a distributor (well I'm not now, but you know what I mean) police that? It is not the nail company who will get sued but the technician if a client has a legitimate reason for making a claim. There is enough 'policing' at CND as it is without more for crumbs sake!!

At Creative we always (when I was there anyway) made the student pay for their first years annual insurance at the end of the course BEFORE we would let them buy anything more than their original kit for the course. We would then send off on their behalf and we had their check made out to the insurance comapny. There was never any doubt that they would get the insurance cover if they had passed the Creative Foundation course.

Insurance companies are gamblers ... pure and simple ... they cover everyone who requests it on the gamble that they will win more than they will loose by doing so. AND they DO.

It would be a nightmare to implement a system to check every customer's insurance every year and why should I as a distributor (well I'm not now, but you know what I mean) police that? It is not the nail company who will get sued but the technician if a client has a legitimate reason for making a claim. There is enough 'policing' at CND as it is without more for crumbs sake!!

I totally understand what you're saying, but surely the insurers wouldn't want to cover someone who hadn't a clue? Look at car insurance for example; how higher are the premiums for new drivers/young drivers, etc? Just a thought.

I don't think you would have to be insured as long as you weren't charging them for the services. It would be like friends doing friends hair.

I don't think you would have to be insured as long as you weren't charging them for the services. It would be like friends doing friends hair.

I know this is off topic but I am sure you still could have legal action taken against you as your are still a professional even if retired, and if you are regularly doing friends and family insurance I would have thought is a must.

That's a brilliant start but as creative had the infor to start with could they not continue it year on year, without much expense?

Can't the existing team request this information from the client at the point of ordering ordering, and we all receive regular mailers a mention by any supplier/distributor could prompt the clients to expect such a request?

Presentatives of CND seem to take such an active and possitive role in trying to better and maintain our industries standards (more than most) then I would have thought that by keeping this information on all clients accounts would be quite straight forward as I update my clients information.

I refuse treatments to client with contra-indications maybe distributors/wholesalers etc could treat those without insurance as a contra-indication:lol:

I realise we are all her to make money but why I think a joint effort is needed by Nail Technicians through to The Distributors/Manufacturers to raise the profile of this industry and I can only see this being another way of trying to push out NSS and make it more difficult for them to operate.

It all so easy for us everyone to say well why should I bother it's another cost or I can't find the time or we do enough already but i truely believe if we want to better our industry then we all need to take a stand in helping police it.

I know this is off topic but I am sure you still could have legal action taken against you as your are still a professional even if retired, and if you are regularly doing friends and family insurance I would have thought is a must.

I am not saying you couldn't have legal action taken against you..I am saying you would not have to carry professional insurance as long as you did not charge.At least in the states that is how it works. But what you must look at is that there are very very few that would do this for no pay.;)
Anyone at anytime can have legal action taken against them. It happens everyday in this 'sue-happy ' world. You sneeze on someone in the stores and they could try and take it to the courts..

Latest posts

Back