What IF... we COULD have a universal diploma??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
(warning, it's 11pm at night and i'm totally exhausted, so this thread may go a bit off track LOL)

This thread is in response to a 'status'on facebook on our beloved's Doug Schoon's wall.......to which everyone's been responding like mad...
About how many don't know the difference between the cuticle and the eponychium etc... and other sad issues regarding our industry and the available education that is often confused...

Ok, having rambled all of that, there is my question (or questions)

This is to our Industry Leaders..... Leading Educators... and other reknowned persons/Technicians WORLD WIDE:

Could we not, create an online THEORY course that would be recognized world wide and respect world wide? (maybe even with pod-casts and live examinations via pod casts, etc....)

Could we not compile and compare the 'education materials' of each country/local and have all these fabulously talented and knowledgeable people put their heads together to create what would EXCEED the minimum requirements around the world, and also MEET the requirements around the world so that everyone who took the course would be at par world wide?
At the very least, create the one and only book that covers EVERYTHING theoretically, including exams at the end of each chapter?............... (aside from any upcoming changes in technology in terms of products)
A book that EVERYONE around the world can agree on?

DID THAT MAKE ANY KIND OF CRAZY SENSE?

Perhaps we wouldn't have a diploma that was based on technique BUT to my mind, the theory is far more valuable and seems to the thing most at risk..........

How feasible is this?
On this website alone, we have masters from around the world, and leading educators.....

I know.... time and money....
Just like money has caused me to take 3yrs to finally take my L&P course.... ONLY TO LEARN.... I'm learning a fat lot of nothing:grr:
and could have self-taught with the same results (shhh you didn't hear that, but it's late at night... I'm frustrated with the state of affairs in Canada and the fact that I will never be able to compete outside canada and there's no point competing here.. blah blah.. Ok, on a tangent, half asleep, sorry about that)

But...... if everyone seems able to find money for competitions and exhibitions and shows and advertising.......
Why can't we find a tiny portion to get a small handful of people together to brainstorm... and UNITE technicians at least on some sort of education level..... Offer techs in backwards places a way of getting some of the education that is out of their reach....
HECK with technology today, you could all have meetings sitting at home in your skivvies in front of your computer with a cam aimed at your face.......

Ok, I'll shut up now and go to sleep.
But the hamster took off on her wheel and started zipping around in my head, and I couldn't keep up, and it was just an idea that I'd be interested in hearing the why's
and why nots....................................... the why not's had better be good cause if we have time to chatter here, then we have time to have 'meetings' online with other educators to bring this idea to fruition.
And it cost's nothing to put together a book that never gets printed, but only emailed and/or downloaded..... so no ink and paper to buy.

:hug:
ok, the hamster's getting a kick in the arse to go to sleep........

PS: and I'm pretty sure we know some webhosts that might offer a page or two from their own site to 'sell' the book/course......... hint hint.........profits to go towards the cost of the web pages... and creating another course... or... well, lots more ideas coming.......picking reps in each country that will adhere to this course and never deviate..... and teach the practical............

ok, seriously... going to bed now... sorry
LOL

Last edited:
Even here we have such a variety of regulations for training that it makes it hard. That is why we don't have a red seal for nail tech in Canada, only for hair. Why I don't know, it would be much more simple. I am in Manitoba and my training was a 5 day a week course for 5 months. 4 hours a day. We learn everything in that time and do much practical. We must get 70 on everything to pass (i got much higher haha) and if we get over 90 on our Government Exam we can apprentice under ourselves if they approve us. Oh and then we have a year til fully licensed and have another theory exam before licensing.
From my understanding we are the only province that has this strict of guidelines (we get marks on each thing and had 22 theory tests). I may be wrong but that is what our government apprentice ppl say and that is why it is harder for people from other provinces to come and do nails here. anyway I don't really have an answer but assume if they can't even get our one counrty under the same regulations it must be difficult.
:) off to bed.....:zzz:

Thats a very thought provoking question V, it would be really cool to be able to do something like that, i think we would ALL learn something new and have a load of fun while we are at it.
The only thing that would be a problem is the differences in regulations, some places are more strict than others and might not recognise what is trying to be done, on the other hand they might go for it, it definately is a grey area that warrants being looked into.:hug:

i doubt it would ever happen but its a fab idea , but i think with all the international red tape it just wouldnt ever come which is a massive shame really

ooh you are full of ideas aint ya hun ! x

But what if....

Person A who is a respected eduator from 'A" country submit their course and the min requirements.
Person B who is similar/same, then did the same for theirs....
And so on down the line.

Then all these persons put their heads together, and this "Theory course" that is being put together by all these respected persons.... EXCEEDED the requirements in each and every /province/state/country and if to pass this course, the standard was set higher.... 80 or 90%?

So while the practical may still vary...... this could be the beginning....

Unifying everyone in the industry across all the lines would have to start SOMEWHERE......
baby steps.......................

If there at least existed a Theory book that could unite everyone in terms of education and 'somewhere to start'... then the Practical could come later...
If this book/course started being used everywhere.............

baby steps...

The only thing that would be a problem is the differences in regulations, some places are more strict than others and might not recognise what is trying to be done

That would be a simple issue to deal with. Theory is theory, no matter where you are (for the most part) we all get taught the same basics. It's the practical part where the more important things come into play. If we had a theory part that was recognized worldwide, that would be half the battle right there.

If anything you'd need to have 2 certs.. 1 for universal theory and 1 for country/province/region practical (to maintain the minimum standards for that area). If you had the universal theory then you've be able to get obtain a certificate on practical anywhere in the world.

Am I making any sense?? I just woke up and I'm still out of it a bit. It makes sense in my head... lol :green::green:

Fab idea tho V -- would certainly make things a LOT easier for everyone!

That would be an excellent idea!
In France it's so messed up there is no nail tec diploma and anyone can do nail extensions but to do manicures and pedicures you need to hold a beauticians diploma where is the sense in that!:rolleyes:

Fantastic idea V!
I'd like to see something like that happen in our country too/soon! It's very frustrating being in this industry in Canada right now. If just one country can't get their butts in gear it may take a while for a large number to come together. But it's definitely worth kicking up some dust over!

I'm going to toss some more examples/ideas at you... ok? (and those named, don't feel targeted, and those not named, please don't feel left out... haven't finished my coffee, so drawing blanks in my mind right now).

Soooo
Say this 'Theory" course is prepared by leaders world wide... (ok, maybe a few provinces/states/countries don't participate... gotta start somewhere). And a real DOOZY. It EXCEEDS the minimum requirements for theory EVERYWHERE..
That's what's key: it has to EXCEED the minimum requirements EVERYWHERE.

Then... a few Leaders of the industryhere and there, go to their government and present this "Exceptional" course/book, backed up by their own credentials AND the portfolios and credentials of the contributors of the book and say "Hey, let's make this the standard requirement here. Let's make this 'recognized...." and so on...

Let's say for arguments sake: Gigi for Spain, Jeni Giles for Idaho, Carl for Australia, Ant for UK and so on and so forth etc etc etc....
They all do the same.

If the course at the very least becomes recognized and RESPECTED, it is somewhere to START turning this industry around.

Then perhaps other places/schools/countries etc... might start actually USING this material and they might want the same as we do: UNIFIED STANDARDS to better the industry and eventually, rid ourselves of NSS. (ok, not entirely, that's not feasible, there will always be someone cheating.... but at least not on every street corner).

Baby steps......
Didn't this very same website start as a blog or some such?
NOW LOOK AT IT!!!!!! A few short years later and it unifies nail geeks world wide! And now hair and skin geeks too!!!
Why not start something here where everyone gathers?
It only makes sense?

this is a great idea in theory (no pun intended!) when I was in school I'd say at least 98% was practical, the only theory we got was on our own time through reading and watching videos, sure by graduation we could all sculpt a great looking set of enhancements but that didn't mean we knew what we were doing. but if you think about it, education is nearly impossible to standardize in any subject, not just our industry. for example, two high schools in the same city could be teaching the same class with the same curriculum but each separate class of students may be learning something completely different. not to mention curriculums should be constantly changing to reflect new technologies and discoveries. jmo; great idea -- I don't think it'll ever happen!
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back