What is builder gel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessieR

Reaction score
I'm new to nails and I've heard a little about builder gels, could someone please explain to me what it is and how you apply it. I'm qualified in gel polish and was wondering if I could use it? Or do I need separate training? Thanks in advance

If you are qualified in gel you should know what builder gel is! Please search the forum for answers to questions before posting or use the consumer queries forum.

^^^ Op said she is qualified in gel polish not gel hence her question regarding a product she hasn't come across, so read the post properly before getting defensive.

Builder gels are a completely different system to gel polish. You use builder gels for enhancements and overlays. So to create longer nails, fix broken nails, for extra strength on natural nails and so on.

If you wanted to offer this then yes, you would need extra training.

X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

As I understand it, builder gel is part of a hard gel system, which is different to gel polish. Although I know of techs that mix the two, it doesn't work for me. Gel polish leaves your nails slightly flexible, whereas gel is solid and inflexible. You usually have to file it off, although there are a few soak off brands. It lasts longer than gel polish. You use a base, then a builder gel which you apply fairly thickly to give the nail strength and shape. Then you can use colour gels or gel varnish colours. If you are doing a french manicure, you can put the white in over the base and before the builder to eliminate the smile line ridge. The builder gel comes in various colours; clear, camouflage pinky colour (generally used for french manicures), milky white. Then you use a top coat. It's highly advisable to get specific gel training. Hope that helps!

I am new to the business too, and I trained in hard gels. Can I ask, from Nails' reply, should you not use extensions with gel polish then? would it not give enough support for them?

I am new to the business too, and I trained in hard gels. Can I ask, from Nails' reply, should you not use extensions with gel polish then? would it not give enough support for them?

You shouldnt just stick a ip on a nail and then cover with gel polish as it wont hold very well.

You create an extension by using the tipping or sculpting method and you can either use acrylic (L&P) or hard gel to create the nail and build up the nail so its strong and wont snap off

Then you cover the built extension with a gel polish if you wish, is that what u mean?

Builder gel is a type of hard gel. However it is a term only used by a few brands, not all.

You shouldnt just stick a ip on a nail and then cover with gel polish as it wont hold very well.

You create an extension by using the tipping or sculpting method and you can either use acrylic (L&P) or hard gel to create the nail and build up the nail so its strong and wont snap off

Then you cover the built extension with a gel polish if you wish, is that what u mean?

Awesome, that explains it beautifully. I trained in Portugal and honestly, it left a lot to be desired. Unfortunately I can't afford to come over to the UK and get decent training yet so I have learned so much from this forum! Thank you all you lovely people xxxx

Latest posts

Back