What is considered a reasonable price for a beauty room

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikki Martin

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been offered a beauty room in a friends salon.

I have been offered it on a day rate of £50 a day or 40% of my earnings. I believe that i supply the products.

Is this reasonable as it seems a lot ?

Thanks x

£50 a day, = £800 PCM

Imo that's a lot but it does depend upon your area and what you get for your money.

I wouldn't pay a percentage

£50 a day, = £800 PCM

Imo that's a lot but it does depend upon your area and what you get for your money.

Hi Beckybee!

As far as i am aware just the sole use of the room and no products. It is a reasonably affluent area but not the most affluent.
The Beauty room is a decent size and upstairs out of the way so getting people in will need to be eye catching for sure.

What are the usual arrangements for this? Do you normally get things in with the price or just the room. Sorry if this sounds daft but being such a newbie i am learning all the time.

40% felt high too esp. If i supply all my kit and products?

Xx

I pay £100 a week and that includes bills.

I think that's a fair rent but, I opened in the Summer and am still not making much money above the rent as a really busy week seems to be followed by a very slow week that swallows the profits from the previous week!

Be careful, I really didn't think it would be this hard to pay that rent and earn a fair wage when I took it on as I have 8 years experience and a client base from working at home.
I would not be able to continue if I didn't have my Husbands wage to support us.

I know I will be busy at Christmas but that will then be followed by a slow couple of months again. In hindsight I think you need to know you can survive for at least a year or even more with very little income when taking on a rented room.

I think if you are prepared to work extremely long hours, every day, you would get there quicker but this depends on whether you have this much demand from clients.
I do work a late night and Saturday on top of my day hours but this is as much as I am willing to do as I don't want to lose more family time.

That's just my experience, don't want to influence you but think it's important to have eyes wide open as it is tougher than it's ever been to make a decent living in beauty for some of us.

Good luck with your decision.

I pay £100 a week and that includes bills.

I think that's a fair rent but, I opened in the Summer and am still not making much money above the rent as a really busy week seems to be followed by a very slow week that swallows the profits from the previous week!

Be careful, I really didn't think it would be this hard to pay that rent and earn a fair wage when I took it on as I have 8 years experience and a client base from working at home.
I would not be able to continue if I didn't have my Husbands wage to support us.

I know I will be busy at Christmas but that will then be followed by a slow couple of months again. In hindsight I think you need to know you can survive for at least a year or even more with very little income when taking on a rented room.

I think if you are prepared to work extremely long hours, every day, you would get there quicker but this depends on whether you have this much demand from clients.
I do work a late night and Saturday on top of my day hours but this is as much as I am willing to do as I don't want to lose more family time.

That's just my experience, don't want to influence you but think it's important to have eyes wide open as it is tougher than it's ever been to make a decent living in beauty for some of us.

Good luck with your decision.

Hi Applepie,

Thank you for your reply, this is why I need some feedback from all of you with the experience.
I have no client base as yet, i will continue to work in my job which gives me tues, thurs, sat and evenings to build up. I really do think that i would never stand a chance at 50.00 a day !!!

If the salon were paying for advertisement, products it maybe different. But I am just weighing up my options,

My husband id building me a room at home and I can be mobile and then I was thinking maybe a day or two in the salon for experience? I am retraining and it feels like its all eating away at our bank account :eek:

I do realise this is how it is when you start up and its always the way in business.

xxx

hi there

I pay £50 a day now in the salon i work in (i am in a busy town centre)... for that money i get a room, use of the spray tan room and use of a manicure table.
the bed and the side boards etc where already there so i just provide my products and wax pot etc....
i also get use of the washing machine and the tumble dryer and my towels are included aswell...

When i first joined the salon it was a 50/50 split and all my products were included in that price (which was good as i didn't have to buy them) but i found the more i was earning the more i was giving away so it then got changed to a rent a day which has been a lot more beneficial to me, don't get me wrong it has been hard, i work long hours (luckily i don't have a family atm) and work roughly 45-50 hours a week and more over the xmas period.....as applepie said if you are willing to put the hours in and are somewhere that you think you can get a steady flow of clients it is totally worth it!!

i have always found that you will have a quiet couple of weeks but the busy times make up for it.

hope this helps a little bit
xx

Is it a hair salon or beauty?

If you are newly qualified and want some salon experience, I would personally look for an employed therapist role as you will earn and learn at the same time.

That way you will have support and experienced therapists around you and no financial worries.
It's actually a little lonely working alone above a hair salon!

Or see if you can start of a client base by being mobile ready for when your own room at home is ready.

Is it a hair salon or beauty?

If you are newly qualified and want some salon experience, I would personally look for an employed therapist role as you will earn and learn at the same time.

That way you will have support and experienced therapists around you and no financial worries.
It's actually a little lonely working alone above a hair salon!

Or see if you can start of a client base by being mobile ready for when your own room at home is ready.
It's a hair salon with two beauty therapy rooms upstairs. The hair salon is over two floors.

I will def. Have a think about it all and start from home.

What's included with the rent? Where abouts are you? Is it in London?

Is it a big room and will is be you plus another beautician?

Is it a big room and will is be you plus another beautician?

No there are two reasonably sized rooms. One therapist is there a few days a week.
Its in hertfordshire the salon. In the high street so has a lot of footfall.

Hi Applepie,

Thank you for your reply, this is why I need some feedback from all of you with the experience.
I have no client base as yet, i will continue to work in my job which gives me tues, thurs, sat and evenings to build up. I really do think that i would never stand a chance at 50.00 a day !!!

If the salon were paying for advertisement, products it maybe different. But I am just weighing up my options,

My husband id building me a room at home and I can be mobile and then I was thinking maybe a day or two in the salon for experience? I am retraining and it feels like its all eating away at our bank account :eek:

I do realise this is how it is when you start up and its always the way in business.

xxx

if your husband is building you a room at home that would be so much better. Its also a really cool idea.

We have been working away at the room at home. It could do with a tiny bit moreroom but I can work well in it for now. I am hoping to be up and running or at least a start in the next four weeks!

Latest posts

Back