What is happening-about to cry!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlitzyGlam08

Reaction score
Previously I was doing comission at another salon; we used OPI Harmony & Absolute acrylic there. About a month ago I switched salons. I had continued to use OPI Absolute but used a universal monomer, also used the same dehydrator and primer.. not the same glue.

I had a co-workers acrylic nails fall off.. Now.. one of my regulars is having nails pop off. It's been happening for awhile and I feel like a terrible nail girl.

Here is my process, maybe some of you could give me advice? :( I have never had this happen.. I even bought a whole new line of products.

1. Sanitize both my hands & my clients. 2. Remove polish. 3. Push back cuticles.. make sure there is no skin on nail plate. 3. Dehydrate. 4. Apply tips if doing a full set. 5. Cut down tips & shape. 6. Apply primer to nail bed only. 7. Apply acrylic. 8. File, shape, buff. 8. Top coat and cuticle oil.

THe simple answer is:

Universal monomer doesn't exist.

Each powder has an amount of initiator that is designed to work only with it's matching monomer to create complete cure
Professional monomer bonds to it's matching primer (if any is needed)
It's not your fault if the product cannot cure and create adhesion.

If you mix brands you can kiss results good by (and your insurance)
This is paramount playing chemist at a molecular level...

Sorry but that is not a professional service that should be offered in a professional salon to me...

To add: I assumed you had been supplied the product. On re-reading I realize you purchase your own.

Sorry for sounding harsh, but your training should have enforced and explained that each brand us designed to work only within it's manufacturers specification.

Your money would be well spent on doing a conversion training and setting yourself up with a full system of pro product rather than one size fits all (as we all know that never works...)

Your procedure sounds fine the only thing you mentioned here is using a different brand of monomer. Stick to products from the same brand, they are designed to be mixed together. Maybe the liquid your mixing with your powder isnt bonding, its all chemicals at the end of the day. Id say if your using an OPI powder get the matching liquid to create the correct formula if that makes sense. HTH in any way x

Ahh Envy you bet me to it!! :)

I always use a complete system ... I never use a 'universal' anything as there is no such thing.

Systems work which is why we use them and how they are designed, to give YOU and your clients the best results. It is professional and looks professional. Nothing looks finer than a branded salon. We are a CND branded salon ...

No one ever questions that we know what we are doing, and the results and our success speak for themselves. :biggrin:

I always use a complete system ... I never use a 'universal' anything as there is no such thing.

Systems work which is why we use them and how they are designed, to give YOU and your clients the best results. It is professional and looks professional. Nothing looks finer than a branded salon. We are a CND branded salon ...

No one ever questions that we know what we are doing, and the results and our success speak for themselves. :biggrin:

Geeg where can I buy your book? xx

Thanks .. But before you all kinda yell at me (which I will admit I kinda deserve) you should have read the part where I said I purchased a whole new line of products.. So I am now using the same brand of monomer and acrylic. And I am still having the same issue. The only thing I can think of is maybe I am not getting the dust off well enough before I apply my acrylic? But then wouldn't all my clients nails be lifting? It's so frustrating..

Thanks .. But before you all kinda yell at me (which I will admit I kinda deserve) you should have read the part where I said I purchased a whole new line of products.. So I am now using the same brand of monomer and acrylic. And I am still having the same issue. The only thing I can think of is maybe I am not getting the dust off well enough before I apply my acrylic? But then wouldn't all my clients nails be lifting? It's so frustrating..

No one is yelling :hug: just trying to help.

I can't see where you mention removing any surface shine from the nail plate before applying your dehydrator and primer. Lastly. .. Make sure the nailplate is absolutely DRY before applying your product, and don't wet the rest of the nail with any monomer while you are working ... Bone dry is the key to good adhesion.

Did you buy a good brand? It does help if you do. :biggrin:

Omg, I can't believe I forgot to include that when I listed my prep. Yes, right after I push back their cuticles I 'etch' the natural nail.. Gently enough to where I dont hurt them but enough to remove shine and give the give the acrylic a rough surface to stick to.
I am using Envy products now.. And I love their acrylic. (envynailsupply.com) no, it's not a well known brand like EzFlow because they are a company in CA.. But have gotten recognition in Nail magazines. :)

Omg, I can't believe I forgot to include that when I listed my prep. Yes, right after I push back their cuticles I 'etch' the natural nail.. Gently enough to where I dont hurt them but enough to remove shine and give the give the acrylic a rough surface to stick to.
I am using Envy products now.. And I love their acrylic. (envynailsupply.com) no, it's not a well known brand like EzFlow because they are a company in CA.. But have gotten recognition in Nail magazines. :)
Well that's OK then ... Check out that the nails are dry and finally, make sure you really press the product into the dry surface before you smooth it out ... Often this is necessary for perfect adhesion. HTH

Ok so to re-start this thread

You use envy acrylic system and experience 'some' nails coming off on 'some' clients

This is sounding much better :)

Geeg has probably hit the issue on the head with her advice

Can you detail how it happens? Do they notice a bubble in the middle or lifting on the side first?

Is there any damage on the nail plate or is it smooth?

If it's smooth and they see a bubble in the middle it's pocket lifting. This happens when the mix is too wet. The product shrinks excessively and creates so much force it pulls up off the nail...

If there is damage and lifted from the edge it may well have been 'helped' off

Hopefully were on the right track now...
Did you do conversion training with with the new system? This would help you get the most from it...

Ok so we find the answer in another thread where we get the essential (and slightly more detailed) information that leads to a resolution and solution...

Acrylics nor shellac will stick

I'm just wondering if you have checked out the ingredients list on your monomer from Envy nail suppy? I have bought monomer from there out of curiosity (because its advertised to be mango scented) and had to quickly chuck it as it lists MMA on the ingredients. To be honest, I was quite ticked off because on their website, it says absolutely NOTHING about it being MMA based. They have nice glitters, but I would suggest you just get rid of any acrylic you have bought from them.

You mentioned that your coworkers nails "fell off"...I don't think I've ever had an enhancement "fall off". If she is a hair stylist, it could be because her nails are over hydrated when you are applying your product. Hairdressers should have their nails done on a day off so their nails can shrink back to normal. The nail bed will expand as it is exposed to water. It can take up to 3 hours for them to recover.

If you look peeps this thread was from spring last year ... I would think the OP has sorted her problems out by now! :lol:

Latest posts

Back