What is in your opinion the best shampoo?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought you were asking for a specific shampoo!

Brandwise, I love Tigi for cheap and cheerful, and Kerastase for luxury. :)

In the past good ones that have suited my hair at that particular time are: Pantene, Sunsilk & Toni & Guy's

Currently i use Ojon shampoo & conditioner but my dry scalp problem is starting to get used to it now so i'm going to have to find a new one soon, at least the Ojon doesn't make me itch unlike so many others do now.

Ruth uses L'Occitane Milk & Shea butter shampoo and conditioner which really suits her long frizzy curly hair, she also liked the sample size bottles i got her of the Molton Brown shampoo & conditioner and in the past has also got good results with the John Frieda Frizz Ease range.

any thing goldwell especially kerasilk

I love Redken(extreme) though I liked it a lot better 10 years ago, it's not the same now.

On a side note...
My hairdresser uses 'professional' shampoo and it's the cheapest, most disgusting stuff! :rolleyes: The ''conditioner'' stinks and doesn't work at ALL. She actually told me to bring my redken in from now on! :irked: I'm not crazy about having to provide my own shampoo and conditioner but she colours my hair perfectly so it's a small price to pay I suppose.

i use tigi catwalk fashionista shampoo, conditioner and thermal protector because its colour safe, i used Toni & guy hair stuff for a while but it stripped the colour out of my hair every time i washed it!

Bit off topic but i love the Goldwell kerasilk conditioner.The one for chemicaly damaged hair, I used it as a hair mask when I had my bleach its brilliant want to get the shampoo aswell!!!:hug:

I love Redken(extreme) though I liked it a lot better 10 years ago, it's not the same now.

On a side note...
My hairdresser uses 'professional' shampoo and it's the cheapest, most disgusting stuff! :rolleyes: The ''conditioner'' stinks and doesn't work at ALL. She actually told me to bring my redken in from now on! :irked: I'm not crazy about having to provide my own shampoo and conditioner but she colours my hair perfectly so it's a small price to pay I suppose.

LOL x , :lol: some professional shampoos really can stink ,
when I was training many years ago,
the salon stocked a posh egg and lemon shampoo in little sachets and they smelled like the egg in it had gone off ,
I really dreaded using it on the customers :hug: x

my local salon uses Sebastian and they seem to have no problem with retailing it to me.
I've been using the Wella SP for greasy scalp lately but I don't know that it makes any appreciable difference. I don't use conditioner but I do use the Sebastian Potion 9 after washing. If I use conditioner my hair's lank and rat tail-like only hours after washing it.

my fave is the indola glamour range the mirror shine shampoo it smells lush and its thick like honey , but my boss won't let us stock it :( so when i can't have that I use kms shampoo color vitality for blonde hair as it makes me hair brighter.

we sell a beer shampoo that smells "odd"

I love the old GHD dsm conditioner at the mo, but nothing beats KMS for me, although getting used to Loreal Prof as the new salon ive just started at only stocks that....
I don't know what the silver shampoo is like in that range as of yet....

I like the aveda range of shampoo's although they are expensive they are well worth the money.

OOOOh yes they are so lush, I love aveda too ,
I cant use a shampoo on my hair that I dont like the smell of,

I once went to a fab hairdressers who shampood my hair
and I was waiting for the beautiful scent of the shampoo to waft up
and there was nothing :eek: it was a shampoo without a scent
it made my hair beautfully shiny but I was really disapionted ,

I just love getting that waft of shampoo from my hair when its all nice and freshly washed
and when someone says oooh your hair smells nice what shampoo do you use I just love that too :green:

I heard about a professional hairdresser has now brought out all kinds of scented shampoos you can choose at the backwash ,
what a good idea :hug: x

Hi I love anythng from joico shampoos are brill leaves hair very shiney and their 5 step treatment is just amazing!

i love purology shampoos and conditioners. i have not tried all of the products. you will love the shampoos and conditioners. they are organic or vegan and make your hair feel so healthy and soft no matter what condition it was to start with. it is a bit more pricey but you only need a lima bean amount to clean your hair. everyone should try it out!

I have long hair, a bit curly that is colourtreated and I´ve just turned 39 so my hair really needs a powerfull regimen. My choise no.1 is Alterna´s caviar regimen witch makes my hair wonderfully soft, shiny and it also calm down the frizziness. This brand really "does it" for me. Unfortunally it cost quite a lot...

Aveda products are brilliant for the hair. the products are organic, chemical free and they use botanical extracts to create a nice aroma. they have lots of shampoos for diferent types of hair and do exactly what they claim.

Works for me!:)

Started stocking L'anza products a couple of months ago and haven't been so impressed in a long while. Been hairdressing 12ish years now,have run 3 salons used Wella, Tigi, Matrix (Also part of L'oreal), Fudge, Schwarzkopf, etc. But with L'anza there's more emphasis on healing the hair, getting the basics right i.e. the protien and moisture levels for one, the p.h. balance (hair & scalp(it is skin, it does need looking after just like your face & body), triple U.V. protection, all sham & cons are colour safe (as are all of the styling products). My point is it's not what it smells like, does it match my bathroom, it's too expensive, it doesn't work in one shampoo, etc!! When was the last time you saw a hairdresser wash your hair with PA*T*NE!!! (quick fix, sells loads, now who's sold on marketing?). Strong (protein) , flexable(moisture) hair will grow alot better, not get coated and built up in quick fix solutions, better colouring, better styling, i could go on! RANT OVER, just make the hairdressers life easier, we're the ones who have to create your look with what is infront of us!:)

so are pro brand shampoos very much different from supermarket ones ?

Professional products DO make a big difference. In a over the counter product 80% is filler, like water and wax. 20% is stuff for your hair. The opposite is true of professional products. 80% is good for your hair and they don't put things like wax in the product at all. When you first use a shampoo with wax in it, it makes your hair look shiny because the wax coats the hair shaft. Soon the wax builds up though and makes your hair appear dull. I show my clients this by taking my scissors and running them down the hair shaft on DRY hair. When you look at the shears you can see a white residue that has come off of the hair, that's the wax. It makes the hair unhealthy. How can something that is coating the hair like that actually be cleaning it well? It can't

Find out who did a "study" before you believe everything you read.

P.S. I love Aveda!

This is a very interesting thread, even though I'm at a total loss :lol:

I'm not a hair geek (can you tell LOL) and seem to be having loads of problems with my hair.

I have long hair, which is coloured and dry, I have a problem scalp (itching and some flaking), and extremely dry, frizzy, fly away hair !.

I seems no matter what I use, it makes no difference. I thought I might be allergic to SLS (my scalp was itching like crazy) and bought some Modern Organic Products (MOP) products. In the beginning, it made a difference, but halfway through the bottle, it all started again. The shampoo also didn't do much for my dry, frizzy hair.

So here I am reading this thread, being blinded by science :lol:

What would be a suitable product for my hair which seems to suffer from every possible condition ??

I don't mind spending a bit more money if the product will actually make a difference !

Marlise

we use schwarzopf Q10 time restore shampoo & conditioner as it contains collagen for hair, leaving the hair feeling 20 years younger its fantastic

so are pro brand shampoos very much different from supermarket ones ?
You really don't want to get me started on this:lol:

Yes. Professional shampoos contain less wax, filler and preservatives that can build up on the hair leaving it feeling dry and lifeless or coat it so heavily that it cannot be colored evenly or curled.

At home RIGHT now, Joico RE:NU and L'Oreal Series Expire Shine Curl.

Latest posts

Back