What is meant by the term Sealing a nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dionne1

Reaction score
Forgive me i'm new to all this nail stuff and i when to a nail shop to find out some info on drills, they kept on sayin drill seals better than filing. Help me what do they mean?

There is a bit you can use with your E-File that is a cone shaped bit either called a 'prepper bit' or 'sealing in' bit depending on where your purchasing it. You can use it to gently tidy up around the cuticle and 'seal in' the enhancement. This can be done just as well with a hand file with the right technique. Of course product application helps as well.

I cant speak for e-files as I've never used one, but I can tell you that sealing in the enhancement with a standard abrasive is just as good a way as any and I cant see e-files being any better for this job (was this a sales person that told you that?). I've only ever used standard abrasives, and so I seal mine in with a 180. My nails do not lift, or very rarely, although proper sealing is only a minor contributor to preventing lifting, the real key to not getting lifting is good thorough prep, followed by good application.

I cant speak for e-files as I've never used one, but I can tell you that sealing in the enhancement with a standard abrasive is just as good a way as any and I cant see e-files being any better for this job (was this a sales person that told you that?). I've only ever used standard abrasives, and so I seal mine in with a 180. My nails do not lift, or very rarely, although proper sealing is only a minor contributor to preventing lifting, the real key to not getting lifting is good thorough prep, followed by good application.

I absolutely agree with this!

Thanks for that! I'm less confused now, guess i've got to use my 180 grit file a bit better

What does 'sealing in the enhancement actually mean' ?

I have never heard this term :o

What does 'sealing in the enhancement actually mean' ?

I have never heard this term :o
Making sure all the edges of the enhancement are flush with the natural nail plate hun hth

sealing is done by pressing the acrylic flush to the nail and using a push pull action and feathering out the product leaving a tiny free margin before the eponychium.
You use a drill or file to thin out a ledge left in this area if you havent mastered the above.
You cannot possibly seal product that has already cured with any abrasive, you can only make it appear more natural.

thank you its all becoming clearer to me now.

no worries hun, i have nothing against efiles (i have a dusty one). IMO if you get your application and prep spot on, and dont use one from the beginning, you can get by without one.
A "tech" or company who's trying to sell you one to quick fix application problems doesn't really have much skill, or knowledge.
Techs though who have used one from the beginning with quality training (eg application as well as drill) dont fall into that basket.

I,m getting better at sealing the nails!

Latest posts

Back