What is pocket lifting?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'm having less trouble with lift than I am having with yellowing, but wondering what pocket lifting is.

Now on to yellowing...
Can anyone help? I'm at the mercy of the product my school supplies, but I can't get a set of nails to go 2 or 3 weeks without coming back yellow. I look at other's work, who use the same product as I do, but it doesn't seem to yellow like mine.

Hi ya Hun,
Pocket lifting is when the product lifts creating a little pocket of air under the product, due to not pressing the Acrylic firm enough onto the nail plate.
As for Yellowing product, do they use a Sunbed, use a cream that contains a bronzing agent, UV light is mostly to blame. If you use a UV top coat it should cut that yellowing out.
Hope this helps
love Ruth xxx

Ruth has made some great points there, but also..check your brush!
The most common reason for L+P to yellow is brush contamination! When you have read this post, go grab your brush and a piece of white towel roll; take your brush in your left hand, and the towel roll in your right; holding the towel roll to the sable hairs of the brush - kind of squeeze like you were getting rid of excess liquid in your brush. If your white roll is greeny yellow or plain yellow, your brush is contaminated! If that is the case, you need a new brush immediately :rolleyes: If that isn't the case - let us know and we'll go to step 2 - we'll figure it out in the end (but I bet that's it!!! :oops: ) ;)

Thanks! Every little bit helps. I think this might be one of the most frustrating things I've come across.

You really have 2 threads here. 1 for pocket lifting and 1 for yellowing.

Yellowink (as it is pronounced in youtah) can be caused by 3 things:
  • contamination
  • incompatibility
  • UV light

contamination

This is when something is there that shouldn't be. As previously mentioned, brush contamination is usually the culprit.
If the yellowing seems to get less as you work on a set, then you are likely looking at brush contamination straight between the eyes.
This is usually caused by left over monomer partially polymerising in your brush (i.e. the ferule) and getting flushed out during your application.

incompatibility

This is when you are using products that are...um... incompatible.
Good examples of this is: Primer getting on existing product (designed for the nail plate only), solvents on product (i.e. Nail Fresh on existing product), Intermixing systems (i.e. using Brand A monomer with brand B polymer)

UV light

UV light can have a really lame affect on enhancements. UV light strips out parts of the enhancement and force it to reflect yellow light. UV light can also slow bake UV cured enhancements, causing them to become brittle and yellow. Most L&p enhancements will contain UV absorbers and optical brightners to counter this effect. Avoid faster setting powders as this can worsen the situation (fast it sets... faster it cures... faster it ages)

Yellowing is usually a sign that something is wrong. It is a symptom of enhancement aging and will often be combined with brittleness.

If your enhancement yellows within a few minutes, the reason is usually contamination. If its hours later, its usually incomaptability, if its later than that... its usually UV light.

Pocket lifting sucks almost worse than yellowing.

Pocket lifting is when there is an area of lifting in zone 2 (the body of the enhancement)... it looks like a big ol bubble.
This is usually caused by a combination of 2 things:
Excessive wet ratio and thick application.

The wetter the mix, the more the shrinkage. The thicker the application, the greater the effect of the shrinkage.

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back