What is required to start a salon from my summer house please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foxy67

Reaction score
Hi guys, I would like to set up my beauty salon at home and would be using my summer house.
Do I need planning permission? What else is required?
Can I go ahead with my domain before I have registered my business?
I keep on going in circles and have no idea where to start :biggrin:
All help would be greatly appreciated. TIA xx

You can register your domain name whenever you want as you don't actually ever register as a business unless a limited company or trademarking your business name.

You can register your domain name whenever you want as you don't actually ever register as a business unless a limited company or trademarking your business name.

Excellent. I was told that I need to do intellectual property office to ensure that my business is not already in use and then trade mark. I took it that it is a must?

Excellent. I was told that I need to do intellectual property office to ensure that my business is not already in use and then trade mark. I took it that it is a must?

You need to look to see if it's not in use but provided it isn't you can use it. If you want to trademark it then that's up to you :)

Most haven't but I personally like it.

Most haven't but I personally like it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. Can I just check that I have covered everything?
So I need to get planning permission from Council, need to contact HMRC to notify that I have gone self employed, register the name with IPO and obviously insurance.
Is there anything else that I may have forgotten? 😊

Most haven't but I personally like it.

Thanks for that. Can I just check that I have covered everything?
So I need to get planning permission from Council, need to contact HMRC to notify that I have gone self employed, register the name with IPO and obviously insurance.
Is there anything else that I may have forgotten? 😊[/QUOTE]

I doubt you'll need planning permission but obviously check with them as it varies from council to council.

Trademarks with IPO take up to 3 months to be granted as an FYI.

What about your mortgage company, that's if you have one and also your home insurance? Definitely check with your council as the area I'm in you do need to apply for planning permission due to disruption to neighbours/parking etc.

What about your mortgage company, that's if you have one and also your home insurance? Definitely check with your council as the area I'm in you do need to apply for planning permission due to disruption to neighbours/parking etc.

Luckily I no longer have a mortgage, but will check with home insurance. Parking shouldn't affect any neighbours, as I have plenty of space. But I will be contacting the council as I want it all done by the books, no cutting corners :lol:

Good luck and let us know how you get on with the council. Mine wanted a scaled drawing of the garden with the exact location of cabin, the dimensions of the cabin, working hours and how many clients I will be expecting in a day, where these clients will be parking(I don't have a drive, but there is loads of parking on street), I'll have a look at the email and see if there was anything g else. X

Latest posts

Back