What is the best tool for smile line in Acrylics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdufrain

Reaction score
Hello, I need to know what is the best tool to help me make the perfect smile line on my acrylics, and is there something to use for gel french smile line as well.
Thanks,
Tire of fighting the smile line.

FOr gel smile lines you can get an angled gel brush. I just use my normal gel brush, and clean up with a 2nd gel brush if needed.

For l&p, I just freehand it, so hopefully someone else has some advice for you

Yes I do both, but being new I have a hard time with l&p getting both sides of the smile equal. Even a client said there is a tool out there I can get that make the happy face perfect. Do you know what she might be talking about?

There have been some tools suggested over the years but they tend to be as difficult to use as a brush is. I am afraid it is just practice and technique that you need. Have a look on either the Young Nails website or on Youtube for Greg Salo and his demos, they are really easy to follow. He will show you the reverse application technique which will really help you with crisp smile lines every time! xx:green:

I am with Sheila on this, as most of these tools have their own problems to solve ;)
At the end of the day you don't even need to buy these tools as a tip will do the job just as well though.
Apply your chosen tip colour product in a straight line, then as it dulls down but before it is set you can use the c curve end of a tip like a cookie cutter to push in and scrape away product leaving a perfect smile :rolleyes:. Not always perfect though as you have to time it just right or it is too late and the product has set or too soon and you get a gooey mess. It doesn't save much time, doesn't look professional, and you will NEVER get the hang of doing smile lines if you stop trying lol!!

If you haven't tried the reverse application method I would definitely give it a try, I can't believe I didn't use this method sooner, it really does make sharper easier smiles ;)

A girl I know has French acrylics all the time and the lady that does hers uses the end of a tip as suggested previously....they always look fab. I guess it's alot of practice :)

Yes I do both, but being new I have a hard time with l&p getting both sides of the smile equal. Even a client said there is a tool out there I can get that make the happy face perfect. Do you know what she might be talking about?
They are called smile line cutters have a look on youtube. I bought some but they aren't easy to use and are somewhere in the back of a drawer.Do check out Gregs videos for reverse application. :hug:

There have been some tools suggested over the years but they tend to be as difficult to use as a brush is. I am afraid it is just practice and technique that you need. Have a look on either the Young Nails website or on Youtube for Greg Salo and his demos, they are really easy to follow. He will show you the reverse application technique which will really help you with crisp smile lines every time! xx:green:

I tried the reverse smile line and found it so much easier than the traditional way...honestly...give it a go...I have only tried this with l&p but I had a gel demo at pro b and she did it using gel :)

I did reverse gel the other day and loved it x

Hi there,
practice and more practice is the prefect tool... I know, its hard, it gets frustrating, but anything that is worth doing is worth investing time on.

there is a fab tutorial on here that The Geek did, it helped me getting my smile lines to smile......

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/2734-million-dollar-smiles.html

You can follow it step by step..... give it a try....I am right handed so my dominant side is the right, I would always start there, Liza Smith gave me this fab tip, after placing your bead, start at the non dominant side first, it made so much difference.....

Practice, practice and practice some more, I went through a box of 500 tips to get it right lol....and eventually it clicked....

Dont give up, it will come in time xxxx

Hi there,
practice and more practice is the prefect tool... I know, its hard, it gets frustrating, but anything that is worth doing is worth investing time on.

there is a fab tutorial on here that The Geek did, it helped me getting my smile lines to smile......

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-application/2734-million-dollar-smiles.html

You can follow it step by step..... give it a try....I am right handed so my dominant side is the right, I would always start there, Liza Smith gave me this fab tip, after placing your bead, start at the non dominant side first, it made so much difference.....

Practice, practice and practice some more, I went through a box of 500 tips to get it right lol....and eventually it clicked....

Dont give up, it will come in time xxxx

I'm in the same position with my smile lines! It's getting so frustrating now but I'm determined to get there. When you say you practised on tips, this might sound silly but did you just practice on the tips just as they are? I'm thinking of purchasing a box of tips just to practice on?

I'm in the same position with my smile lines! It's getting so frustrating now but I'm determined to get there. When you say you practised on tips, this might sound silly but did you just practice on the tips just as they are? I'm thinking of purchasing a box of tips just to practice on?

Hiya,

I am the same I cant get my smiles smilling for toffee, well I get 1 smilling and 9 straight faced with a lsight curved lip lol!

I brought some really cheap tips just to practive smiles on and the tips are in different sizes so i can practice getting the right size bead. But i do also have my nail trainer (Jane) that i practice on too when i want to practice full nails :)

Jo xx

I was given some really good advice from my CND educator - apply a white tip first and then apply your smile line over the white tip so that you can see where you need to be and the more times you do it, the quicker and easier it becomes.
I am getting better at it, although my smile lines with a natural tip still leave a lot to be desired!
Hth x

Hiya,

I am the same I cant get my smiles smilling for toffee, well I get 1 smilling and 9 straight faced with a lsight curved lip lol!

I brought some really cheap tips just to practive smiles on and the tips are in different sizes so i can practice getting the right size bead. But i do also have my nail trainer (Jane) that i practice on too when i want to practice full nails :)

Jo xx

I have a nail trainer too, not yet named her, should do that really  which i love but would love even more if her nails were smiling! I think I'll purchase some cheap tips & keep on at it! I was advised to look in to 1:1 training with CND, has anyone done this?

I have a nail trainer too, not yet named her, should do that really  which i love but would love even more if her nails were smiling! I think I'll purchase some cheap tips & keep on at it! I was advised to look in to 1:1 training with CND, has anyone done this?
121 training is always worth the money, little things like the angle you have you brush at can make all the difference to your work and having someone who is just concentrating on you is great. I still feel that my 121 trainer earned his money in the first 5 minutes I was there.
Smiles, I love the reverse technic, I love it that if I mess up I can take the form of and refine with a file, put a new form on and then go for zone 1.
I still wish my smiles were perfect doing it the traditional way but put white l&p on my brush and I go to pieces, but as a few peeps have told me, doing what works for you is what's important, so long as your prep is right and your ratio is right find the technic that works for you:hug:

Yep I just took them out of the box, gave them a little buff and worked just on the smiles...... just to get the hang of pushing and getting the product to go where I wanted it to go.... it gave me, brush control and bead control.....

xxxx

Latest posts

Back