What is the difference between Solar Oil and cuticle oil?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feetcompany

Reaction score
Can basic cutticle oil be used instead of solar oil? What makes the solar oil so special? Lol and i tell clients just to mositurise hands so lather them in the oil is this right? Pllleassee x

Can basic cutticle oil be used instead of solar oil? What makes the solar oil so special? Lol and i tell clients just to mositurise hands so lather them in the oil is this right? Pllleassee x

SolarOil is not just any cuticle oil.

Now, rubbing almost any oil into the nail and surrounding skin will have benefit. Vegetable oil would be better than nothing - LARD would be better than nothing, lol. But SolarOil does the job better than any other product I have ever used. It's quick and efficient, so the client just needs a teeny bit massaged into each nail and surrounding skin and it'll soak in in no time - so they are not left all greasy leaving fingerprints everywhere, which can put them off using oil daily. They can use it all over their hands, but a combo of SolarOil on nails and a good quality hand cream for hands is what I'd recommend for clients.

It's so important clients wearing any of the four CND coatings use SolarOil every day at least once. One of the more common causes of service breakdown is dehydration. CND products are designed to be used as a system for best results - this definitely includes SolarOil as a daily home care ritual.

SolarOil specifically, as opposed to a basic cuticle oil, has a synergistic blend of naturally light oils and Vitamin E, designed to deeply penetrate and protect skin and nails. Jojoba oil carries Vitamin E deeply into skin to help reduce visible signs of ageing. These naturally light oils keep skin soft and supple. The ingredients are exceptionally high quality.

I've gone on a bit haven't I? Ok, in a nutshell! -
Keeps natural nails, nail Colour and nail enhancements tough and flexible.
Repeated use drives oils deeper into natural nails and nail enhancements, maximising the benefits and reducing service breakdown.

I could talk about SolarOil all day! Magic stuff :)

So SolarOil penetrates THROUGH polish, Shellac, L&P and Gels?

So SolarOil penetrates THROUGH polish, Shellac, L&P and Gels?

ABSOLUTELY - and all polymers benefit from lubrication. That's the building blocks of the coatings and the building blocks of your natural nails.

You need to look at the ingredients when buying a cuticle oil if they contain jojoba oil and vitamin e then it will be a decent one jojoba oil has smaller molecules so penetrates more than other oils whitch tend to sit ontop of the skin. Solar oil and nuture oil by nsi are the best in my opinion . X

Should you use solar oil with harmony gelish (Ive just splashed out on my first harmony bits!)

Sorry for probably a silly question, but can solar oil be used with regular polish - or just shellac?
thank you;)

Can it also be used with Gelicure? I would of thought it will work with any gel layer?

It's oil ! You use it as you would any other oil! Xx

Solar oil is a cuticle oil so can be used with any brand or system.

It can be used on natural nails with polish on, gel on, l&p on, Minx or other wraps on, shellac on, gel polish on.... basically it can be used with anything you put on your nails or even on bare nails.

I would say replace your cuticle oil with it as it is super absorbant and does what it says it does aswell as a ton of other things.

If you search solar oil you will find threads where people talk about using it on their lashes, burns, scars and loads of other things, solar oil is a miracle in a bottle. ;)

The difference is Brand & Quality.

Just like in grocery stores; heinz versus storebrand ketchup.

Granted, some smaller brands are very good.
But they don't have the branding behind them.
Some smaller brands are terrible (I've seen some with mineral oil in it, and that's just plain useless).

Key ingredients in Solar oil are Jojoba and Almond oils.
These have the smallest molecules and are carrier oils. Meaning,they grab the elements of the other ingredients and pull them into the skin, carrying them. Jojoba also most closely resembles oils found naturally in the skin.

Mineral oils/petrolatum/petroleum products will only create a barrier to prevent moisture from LEAVING the skin. It will NOT add moisture. And simply leaves a residue/barrier on the surface of the skin.
It's like putting grease on a squeaky hinge; the squeak is gone but the rust is still there.

Whereas, jojoba/almond oils will penetrate the skin and FIX the problem by replacing lost moisture AND will also assist in keeping Shellac/L&P/Gel plasticized and help prevent breakage/chipping.

If your brand of oil has those ingredients (jojoba oil, almond oil) high on the list of ingredients, and no mineral oil; it's fine and will do the job.
I mean no disrespect to CND Solar Oil, but I make this claim with confidence because my own oil contains those, amongst other oils; and I can't keep it on the shelves, it sells out. Clients use it for their nails, their callused feet, facial moisturizer, excema etc. They are in love with it.

hth's

PS: keep in mind that these forums are largely populated by CND users, so it's only natural that we hear more about CND products than others. But yes, Solar Oil is a great product. I won't dispute that.

Wow! Thanks Wee Fee!

Thanks for all the info , would it be ok if I borrow some of it to put on my website, FB page please ?
Also out of interest would Solar Oil be good for a dry itchy scalp . I have a family member whosometimes suffers from it, especially in this weather , but didn't want to suggest it they use it in case it causes problems .

NSI Nuture oil has transformed my nails, its great

Hi read this thread the other night but didn't have time to answer. I have dug out the cuticle oil I am using it's salon servis own make and the ingredients are:
paraffinium liquidum,carthamus,tinctorus , retinyl,palmititate,parfum and looks like some sort of additives c161565.c147000
I don't know what any of this means or if it's any good.????xx

Hi read this thread the other night but didn't have time to answer. I have dug out the cuticle oil I am using it's salon servis own make and the ingredients are:
paraffinium liquidum,carthamus,tinctorus , retinyl,palmititate,parfum and looks like some sort of additives c161565.c147000

From my knowledge of product ingredients, it's basically a high percentage of mineral oil, with safflower seed oil and a vitamin a derivative.

Although the safflower and retinyl will soften and nourish, the large content of mineral oil means it won't rehydrate and moisturise the skin- just create a barrier that helps temporarily keep moisture in. It will sit on the surface of the nail and skin, but won't penetrate for the benefits you would get with a higher quality and more effective combination of ingredients as in Solar Oil xx

x Fee x
Thanks. I have been checking all ingredients on every thing now even my personal moisturizer's and face creams lol.xx

hya Jo i just got my salon system's nail oil out.. the ingredients are different from the bottle you have, perhaps you have an older version.
it has; sunflower oil,calundula oil, lemongrass oil, jojoba oil, vitamin E, aloe vera, citral, geraniol,limonene, citronellol. (simplified the technical names of the oils lol)
so from what i can tell it has the same main ingredients as solar oil and works wonders on the nails i use it on :)

Hi butterfly :) I came across this thread today whilst researching solar oil (I am waiting for my delivery of pinkie's today). I am writing a little card to give to clients about the benefits of it. Anyway sorry my mistake the oil I was using was Salon services from sally's, I got it mixed up with salon systems.xx

I belive Its the same as long as you use a cuticel nail oil that has quality. I use one that goes with the system I use(resin) and contains different oil blend like sesame, lavendel, almond, vit e and some other I cant remember.

Latest posts

Back