What is the GSM of your towels?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClaireWalsh

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm looking to replace both my manicure hand towels and massive bath sheets that I use for massage. I have seen some ranging in GSM (grams of cotton per square metre) from 400-750. Obviously the 750 gsm towels are the most luxurious but I need to strike a balance between luxury and affordability (as I spent all my money at GMex:irked:).

My current manicure towels are a bit rubbish (hence the pending replacement), I got them from Salon Services when I started training. I tried to look on Salon Services website to see what their GSM is to provide me with kind of a benchmark figure, but their website's encountering problems! Grr.

Sorry to have wittered on a bit but I'd be very grateful if you could let me know what GSM your towels are, and what, in your opinion, is the minimum quality necessary for a salon towel? (I don't want to sandpaper my clients to death!)

use a good quality towel and use some softener in the rinse cycle, then tumble dry them, stretch, then fold them while they are still warm.

I get mine from Matalan and Tescos.

I did buy some from a market stall and although they are totally washed out and shapeless, they are still fluffy and soft, I use these at home now.

I just checked out the Majestic site, I think I'm going to order from there. I have just posted a thread asking about towels to, that's what I get for not searching the site properly first :rolleyes:

just had a quick look at the site (thanks for the link) and they are more expensive than getting them from Tescos and matalan.
So, was wondering, is there something to these towels that are really special? Otherwise I;ll just keep on getting them for the supermarkets.

just had a quick look at the site (thanks for the link) and they are more expensive than getting them from Tescos and matalan.
So, was wondering, is there something to these towels that are really special? Otherwise I;ll just keep on getting them for the supermarkets.

Don't know if there's anything special about them:lol: but last year for college I bought a mix of Tesco, Matalan, Next and Majestic towels.

Tesco and especially Matalan are no good for anything to be hones, the Majestic are still perfectly use-able and soft for the salon, but the ones from Next (also the most expensive) are by far the best.

thanks for clearing that up.
got to buy some new ones tomorrow and been putting off.

My best towels come from Majestic, the luxury ones I think? They may cost a little more but they have lasted a lot longer than the ones from Tesco and Debenhams. I allways tumble dry them.....keeps them fluffy!

Oh also, Majestic do a massive towel that's the same size as my couch so is great for keeping clients all snug!

I always tumble dry my towels, but I roll mine rather than fold, takes up less space and makes them easier to get at.

I do have a tip that my mother gave me years ago when I moved into my first home. NEVER NEVER NEVER add fabric softener to your towels when you wash them it reduces their absorbancy. I must say my towels are lovely and fluffy and soft. :Love:

Latest posts

Back