What is the popular style for nails where you live?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scratchmyback

Reaction score
This is something I've been curious about for awhile. It seems that nail styles are very different around the globe.

I am in central Canada, (the Toronto area) and around here it seems the permanent french, either gel or acrylic is most often seen. It looks like gel is more popular than acrylic (L&P) and I think it's because the nail techs find it easier to apply, and can charge more money for it, rather than try to perfect their acrylic application and provide what is most suitable for the client.

There is not a lot of sculpting done here, it is mostly tips with overlay. The lengths are not usually very long, either, unless you are in the...ahem...entertainment industry ;) I do see a lot of toes with gel and/or french manicure as well, in the summer months.

Just curious as to what is popular in your neck of the woods?

Here in Spain the number one product is liquid and powder.
Most popular service is tip and overlay although some of us sculpt.
The best technicians do Forever French service and most want it when they have seen it BUT we have the usual amount of techs that can't do pink and white and just use pink over the whole nail (ugh ... ugly) or clear (less ugly but still not what I would call enhancement).
Natural nail manicures are very big here and as you would imagine - pedicures, pedicures and more pedicures.
Very little nail art.

Forever french nails are the thang here. Younger gal's like square & squoval (square with rounded corners), while our more mature ladies (or 95% of them at least) prefer round or almond shaped. Lengths vary from teeny tiny short(dont c the piont in these myself) to semi-long (none of the "Jerry Springer" thype tho - whatever!!!)

The majority of tech's do tip overlays. Some sculpt (some do this BAD :pukeoff: - and give the client big ol' flat thick shovels).

Nailart ain't that big, but when the clients see what we can do, a lot of them want something - even if it's just simple, like a gem.

I`m in Essex and I find the youngsters want French liquid and powder with a square shape whilst the older ladies want a natural look with a rounded nail. I`ve never been asked for a sculpted nail (glad cos I`m a novice at that) so its always over a tip and the older ladies have a variety of gel, fibreglass or liquid and powder. Its the youngsters I find that are predictable in what they want.

In Crawley and the surrounding area, the poplular choices for nails are either pink and white/French acrylic mostly tip overlay (there are a few places that sculpt, me included) lots of places offer gel too but acrylic seems to be the winner at the moment. i dont know of any where that offers silk or fiber wraps but im sure there is some where
As Crawley is right next to Gatwick airport lots of my clients are cabin crew and are limited to what colours they can wear on their nails so i mainly sculpt pink and white acrylic mostly with square or squoval shape but this does depend on what suits the client.
Like everyone else older ladies prefer oval/round natural sculpts with either american manicure or coloured enamel while youger clients do like their nail to be square and permenant French.
i do also have a client that has coloured acrylic on her toe nails which does look fab....i love doing design nails on toes (providing we have nice clean feet......lol) its a shame that more people don't have it!

Jess
;)

scratchmyback said:
This is something I've been curious about for awhile. It seems that nail styles are very different around the globe.

I am in central Canada, (the Toronto area) and around here it seems the permanent french, either gel or acrylic is most often seen. It looks like gel is more popular than acrylic (L&P) and I think it's because the nail techs find it easier to apply, and can charge more money for it, rather than try to perfect their acrylic application and provide what is most suitable for the client.

There is not a lot of sculpting done here, it is mostly tips with overlay. The lengths are not usually very long, either, unless you are in the...ahem...entertainment industry ;) I do see a lot of toes with gel and/or french manicure as well, in the summer months.

Just curious as to what is popular in your neck of the woods?

Yes, I totally agree with you, shorter nails, french, very little art...very conservative crowd...gels are requested often (but that doesn't mean that many people do them properly ;) )
Sadly L&P got a lot of bad rep because of NSS...actually one of my clients (and I'm ashamed to say that because what she said was WRONG), but she said if she wants acrylic, she might as well go to NSS :shock: ....just shows you how people think....
I just couldn't help myself and said little too laud "you've got to be kidding me!"....I was shocked...so sad..I try to explain, but it goes in one ear and goes out the other :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

It is a shame that many clients do not respect the nail technician as an authority in her field ... and take your advice and learn from you Anna.

Everyone today feels that there is some ulterior motive going on and that you are 'bad mouthing' to keep business in your salon instead of having a genuine interest in helping to make sure that the client is not harmed by an illegal product. Unfortunately they will find out if they do not take your advice!

Well, here in the South :sunny: most are very conservative...short, oval and those mauvie :pukeoff: colors I hate.. LOL The nail tech that I took over for did strictly acrylic nails...no permanent french..she did not even have a box of white tips! no wraps..no art .. :shock: Her customers were so funny when I told them that there were other ways of doing a "french manicure" than just painting it on.
I am slowly but surely plodding away to open up a whole new world of nails for them. They now have a choice of acrylic, wraps, nail art, spa minis and pedis and permanent french acrylic nails. And currently I am trying to perfect my gels and when I do I will be the only GEL TECH :king: in my area!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back