What is the shiniest top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valerie N

Reaction score
I'm on the hunt for the shiniest top coat.

So far I like CND Brisas top coat but it doesn't last as long and although it has a blue tint to keep colors bright it can also slightly alter the color shade that's very obvious to my own eyes.

I also really like Orly's non-wipe top coat. It's very shiny and lasts a long time. But for some reason has the strongest of odors while the rest of their gel polishes does not!!

What is the shiniest top coat you've tried?

Last edited:
Glitter bells! It’s quite thick but I love it!
We got rid of The Gel Bottle one

The best top coat is the one that is brand matched with the base & colour coats you have used.
I've found that sometimes using an unmatched top coat, it peels off a couple of days later.

What brand are you using currently and is this for gel or normal polish?

I use CND Brisas for extensions and various brands for color like Shellac, OPI.

I usually follow through the brand line from start to finish. I have to disagree with top coats not agreeing with different brands. Most gel top coats are chemically similar, thus will behave chemically similar i.e. bond similarly, stick similarly. Gel needs a rough surface to attach to. If you lightly buff the final color with a 180 grit then apply ANY top coat, you shouldn't have any peeling issues. The issue I have is longevity of the shine.

Only shellac seems to be the tricky one to mix different brand top coats with since it would be the least chemically similar, it being the only nail polish/gel hybrid formulation. So the color could appear to have an uneven surface (if not buffed over) when applying a different top coat. But that's me going on a bit of a tangent here.

Also have to note that I have seen longevity of shine with different brand pairings.

I use CND Brisas for extensions and various brands for color like Shellac, OPI.

I usually follow through the brand line from start to finish. I have to disagree with top coats not agreeing with different brands. Most gel top coats are chemically similar, thus will behave chemically similar i.e. bond similarly, stick similarly. Gel needs a rough surface to attach to. If you lightly buff the final color with a 180 grit then apply ANY top coat, you shouldn't have any peeling issues. The issue I have is longevity of the shine.

Only shellac seems to be the tricky one to mix different brand top coats with since it would be the least chemically similar, it being the only nail polish/gel hybrid formulation. So the color could appear to have an uneven surface (if not buffed over) when applying a different top coat. But that's me going on a bit of a tangent here.

Also have to note that I have seen longevity of shine with different brand pairings.
Tgb top coat is pretty damn shiny to me

Latest posts

Back