What is wrong with my brush?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenSparkles

Reaction score
Hi geeks.

I have been qualified in l&p since July. I have been getting on fine but recently iv noticed my brushes keep going funny!

They are the Nsi precision brush and iv bought 3 now and everyone of them has gone a funny shape! It's like they have poofed up. I have tried everything to put them back to shape but they all go flat like a paint brush :( I can't afford keep buying brushes and wondered if anyone knew what the occurrence Is?

Picture attached xxx

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1350667971.348078.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1350667971.348078.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 444
How do you clean these brushes Hun?

buy some brush cleaner and soak them in it, also run brushes under hot water to get back to original shape

Cleaned in brush cleaner, soaked in warm water! Still nothing :( xxx

Did u cleN your brush in acetone or leave it sitting in brush cleaner??

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Did you read the topic it needs soaking cleaning in monomer

Sorry sent that too quick.. I was out of brush cleaner once and used acetone n that happened to my brush!!

Yes I read the topic.

I dip it in brush cleaner then wipe it on the side of the dish but as soon as it goes in monomer the bristles just flare. Its like it's been washed it the same stuff Cheryl cole uses to get all that volume in her hair!

I'm not getting product in my brush it's like my bristles have been plumped up xxx

Hi Lauren,

Did you say that you haven't gotten acetone on it? Or, accidentally get disinfectant on it??

When I was first training I thought I had to disinfect my brushes.. SILLY..I know...And ended up ruining a $50 brush...then got another one and ruined it with acetone...Now I have a beautiful brush that i've been using for 8 months or so and it has done amazingly. I only ever use monomer to clean it, and then put it away. Geeg mentioned to me once to dip a brush that is misshapen in boiling water for 10-20 seconds and reshape it that way.

I would definitely try the boiling water method before getting rid of them. Good luck, hun.

Yep boiling water fixed mine :)

Funny that this thread has just come up as only yesterday I totally wrecked my NSI precision brush that ive had for nearly 3 years!! I was chatting away to my client and dipped it into a dampen dish that had sterilizer in it instead of my monomer. :eek: Its just totally lost its firmness and I cant sculpt with it. At least I got 3 years out of it though and thought i'd try the CND one :)

I only ever clean my brushes in clean monomer and rolled up in a point, stored away in a case.

2 of the brushes look quite dehydrated (the lighter haired ones), how do you wipe them on your mat? You should be gentle when you wipe your brush, wipe as flat to the desk as possible (and slowly, rather than quick), what kind of brush mat do you use ?

as i said earlier boiling water. it restores the brush back to its original condition (i dont know the science). i used to run the tap till boiling and then hold my brush under the stream for a few seconds then wrap in kitchen roll to dry...perfect brush again!

Clean monomer only! Most brush cleaners contain acetone and they are not nice to your delicate haired brush.

I've had the NSI brush and have only just replaced it through preference for a different size, i have had it over a year without any issues.

A brush should go flat when placed in the monomer, we use a flat brush to work the product and roll it back into a point before storing or doing delicate art work, cleaning smile lines etc. From the pictures your brushes do look like they have had excess product left behind in them. If you are newly trained, there is a good chance that you are working too wet and this is eventually effecting your brush.

In future, place some clean monomer in your dappen dish when you have finished you set of nails and submerge your brush hairs in it, wipe slowly on a clean pad and repeat until you brush it free of any product, then twist while wiping to form a point and store.

Its all part of learning and most of us have sent a brush or two to the heavens when starting out xx

When iv put my brush into boiling water the bristle just flare so it looks like a chimney brush. The same thing happens when it goes in monomer. It's flat as a pancake!

I was taught to press my brush in the dapper dish to remove bubbles then the 2:2 ratio. They have been fine for ages then iv come back off holiday and noticed yesterday. They have all been stored away.

I once spilt barbicide on one brush but that went to heaven. I was also taught at Nsi in Manchester to clean my brush after in brush cleaner then monomer before putting it away.

Brush mat? I was taught to wipe my brush on clean tissue which I do each time.

Xxx

When iv put my brush into boiling water the bristle just flare so it looks like a chimney brush.

Brush mat? I was taught to wipe my brush on clean tissue which I do each time.

Xxx
NEVER boiling water, I mean what do you wipe your brush on while doing nails? Like a dental bib, etc

I just use clean couch roll and wipe my brush gently on that making sure never to wipe over the same area, and yeh I used boiling water *hand on head* I think iv probably killed it xxx

:eek: must be doing something wrong, needing 3 brushes since July

Latest posts

Back