What is your favorite nail "hack"?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Do you have a tip or trick that you swear by? I love sharing and trading tips and tricks with fellow nail techs! One of my "nail hacks" is wiping the back of nail foil sheets with acetone before using them! It makes the foil stick to the tacky layer on gel polish without foil glue!!

Let's help each other out and share tips!
Screenshot_20180606-094422_Gallery.jpg

For super long lasting chrome I protein bond the tips cure for 5 secs apply base coat then top coat. Hth someone

For super long lasting chrome I protein bond the tips cure for 5 secs apply base coat then top coat. Hth someone
Awesome tip!

For inexpensive and TOTALLY lint free wipes I use wax strips. Zero lint. Have been using them for years. Just cut them to size.

After having a couple of issues with lifting a few years ago after proper prep etc a nail tech friend told me to try double priming...and it works! Double prime as a rule now [emoji6]

After having a couple of issues with lifting a few years ago after proper prep etc a nail tech friend told me to try double priming...and it works! Double prime as a rule now [emoji6]

What is a good primer to use?

Could you go through your full chrome steps for me ❤️

Could you go through your full chrome steps for me ❤️

Hiya
Prep nail for gel polish
Base coat cure
2x color coat cure in between
Non wipe top coat cure for recommended time
Apply chrome - for best mirror look apply with silicone tool then softly burnish a tiny amount of add'l pigment with sponge. Ensure particles lay flat. Apply primer to tips of nails only. I don't apply alot or color will disappear.
Cure 5 to 10 secs.
Apply base coat cure
Regular Top coat cure
Enjoy long lasting chromies

Hiya
Prep nail for gel polish
Base coat cure
Apply chrome - for best mirror look apply with silicone tool then softly burnish a tiny amount of add'l pigment with sponge. Ensure particles lay flat. Apply primer to tips of nails only. I don't apply alot or color will disappear.
Cure 5 to 10 secs.
Apply base coat cure
Regular Top coat cure
Can i ask what does the primer do afterwards?

Hiya
Prep nail for gel polish
Base coat cure
Cure 5 to 10 secs.
Apply base coat cure
Regular Top coat cure
❤️

Can i ask what does the primer do afterwards?
It gives the next product applied something to hold on tight to ensuring great adhesion between chrome and next product applied

For bling that lasts I use a gel base coat to place crystals in and seal with top coat. Any brand with strong adhesion works well. I've used akzentz x bond and artistic gloss with great results

I use Kiara sky dip base to stick on swarovski’s, then but up next to them with non wipe top coat.

An oldie but goodie ...
Polish smudges - blob of SolarOil, smooth over with finger, voila!

Space saving tip for stamping, swap the ever popular but cumbersome lint roller for a little roll of micropore type tape which you can then leave dangling from the edge of your table.

Use a tiny piece of blue tack over the end of a dotting tool/wooden stick to pick up Swarovskis/rhinestones/stars etc.

What a great thread! This is one I'll keep coming back to for all the great tips being shared

My hack to avoid heat spikes:
(For those customers who are prone to it. I always seem to get a couple who are sensitive especially if they want long nails that need a high apex).
Keep the hand a bit outside the lamp (let the light touch only the tip of the nail) whilst doing a couple rounds of flash curing. Then after a couple flash cure rounds, they can put their hand inside, and do flash cure again. This way I don't have to worry when I am building the apex on the nail in one go (especially for those who want long nails, where the apex has to be further back and higher). :)

For a nice and different kind of shimmer effect:
Use an opaque cover gel (I like CND Brisa Neutral pink) and mix in some white chrome (also called aurora/pearl/unicorn/mermaid chrome etc) and mix well. Make sure to not mix in too much or it will compromise the strength of enhancements. When you build with this mix, it gives a nice glow/shimmer from within, and doesn't look like you simply put it on top of the nail.

Latest posts

Back