What is your religion?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C of E, Sunday school girl, brownie and guide. I do believe in god and can't make much sense of anything without him but I no longer believe in religion and forced worship and all that comes with the church, I am fascinated with religion though and as soon as I meet someone who has another religion I want to learn all about it, about their different ceremonies and traditions and beliefs, when me and my Jewish friend attended a catholic friends christening we were amazed and fascinated, the same when I attended a friends baptism, just fascinating.

Sent from my ST23i using SalonGeek mobile app

I was brought up as a Roman Catholic, Latin Mass every Sunday. I still love the scent of incense.
I questioned everything, not just religion, when I hit 13. I suppose that's when I "lost" my religion, although I married in a Catholic church. Our first child was baptised there too, but my second wasn't, as the priest told me I would have to promise to send him to a Catholic school. I could have just promised, but I honestly didn't think I'd have the transport and so I felt it would be wrong to lie.

When I moved from high school teaching to primary I had to teach world religions as part of the curriculum. I chose Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism. There is so much similarity between them, and other major beliefs. I think educating children about these similarities helps eradicate a lot of prejudice.

It's interesting to see comments on religion and society control. I actually think from that point of view it can be a very positive force. Too many people today think that if they don't get caught they can get away with anything. I'm not implying that having no religion means having no morals - far from it- but for those inclined to dishonesty religion can be a curb.

Great thread, and great posts too.

I was brought up as a Roman Catholic, Latin Mass every Sunday. I still love the scent of incense.
I questioned everything, not just religion, when I hit 13. I suppose that's when I "lost" my religion, although I married in a Catholic church. Our first child was baptised there too, but my second wasn't, as the priest told me I would have to promise to send him to a Catholic school. I could have just promised, but I honestly didn't think I'd have the transport and so I felt it would be wrong to lie.

When I moved from high school teaching to primary I had to teach world religions as part of the curriculum. I chose Christianity, Islam, and Hinduism. There is so much similarity between them, and other major beliefs. I think educating children about these similarities helps eradicate a lot of prejudice.

It's interesting to see comments on religion and society control. I actually think from that point of view it can be a very positive force. Too many people today think that if they don't get caught they can get away with anything. I'm not implying that having no religion means having no morals - far from it- but for those inclined to dishonesty religion can be a curb.

Great thread, and great posts too.

On the other hand, some religions forgive all your sins. So do whatever evil you want and then count some beads and babble some mantra and all will be forgiven.

I think if you're a bad egg, you're a bad egg. Religious or not. I don't think it curbs the evil, in some instances it encourages it.

Did you hear how Jimmy Carr referred to the Pope?

Last edited:
On the other hand, some religions forgive all your sins. So do whatever evil you want and then count some beads and babble some mantra and all will be forgiven.

I think if you're a bad egg, you're a bad egg. Religious or not. I don't think it curbs the evil, in some instances it encourages it.

Did you hear how Jimmy Carr referred to the Pope?

Seriously i cant believe people think they can talk their way into heaven

Seriously i cant believe people think they can talk their way into heaven

everyone has different beliefs

i personally believe we all go somewhere nice when we pass not matter how bad we were
but thats my view, no one taught me it, it just gives me piece of mind

The older I get the less I know about anything. I have faith in a lot of things none of which I could verbalise eloquently enough to explain. I try not to lose my faith in mankind but that is tested to the limit at times by events in the world as a whole, but daily I see random acts of kindness frequently. I can say that I don't believe in any kind of absolute religion just because I see the horror that by naming something as absolute has brought to the world over the years in the name of different religions throughout the ages, not that I am say religion is wrong in any way just abused in namesake by mankind.

Over the last 10 years a lot of really hard and at time heartbreaking events have occurred in my life for which I have questioned why? Times when I truly could not have believed that such sadness could happen and if so only in a godforsaken world. However in early January 2013 I was woken by a policeman knocking on my door and told my husband was seriously injured in a car accident and they were working to release him from the wreckage but to be prepared as he was not expected to survive. He was airlifted to a London hospital and we where driven to the hospital some 90+ miles away by the police with blue lights.

I don't remember very much about the journey other than looking at my teenage daughter next to me frozen in shock and fear. All I can say about that time is the only thing I could do was to pray. I prayed for her, my husband and all those involved and helping him and us.

At numerous time that day we were told he could not survive his horrendous injuries and he was kept alive by machines and medicine created by mankind and evolution. By the next day he was still holding on and by the end of the week we were told that if he could survive the operations his and our lives would never be the same and he would be left with permanent severe disabilities, but he was alive and making progress. He did survive and has made a good recovery with the aid of modern medicine and a lot of help form many people, it also helped because he was exceptional strong and fit due to training for a sport, but mostly and because he received vital and life saving care from countless people very quickly at the scene of the accident and ongoing, trickling right down the line - Mankind.

During that time I can honestly say that I have seen the very worst in some people which borders on evil and more, much much more I have seen so much compassion and kindness from so many people all of different religions and some quite open and honestly of none.

I can't explain who or what I was praying to, but all I know is at the time is is all I had and if my husband had of died I would like to think there was a better place for him to go where he would be out of pain and could heal where he was with loved ones who passed over before him. It just was what I believed or wanted to believe at that moment in time and it helped and it still does.

All I am saying is what is religion? Surly faith and humanity is more important if you can find some in whatever. Am I religious, no if I am truthful I am not still, but I do have faith in many things prayer, my family, my friends, love, persistence and not giving up, random acts of kindness, mankind and its resilience, a new day when I wake up and whatever gets you through the day. But, most of all I now know I believe in the freedom to believe in whatever works for you in a time of need or throughout your daily life and to judge no-one else for a peaceful, non-violent path that they choose in whatever they want to name it or not xxxx

Last edited:
I was brought up e catholic which I must admit had its ups and downs.
I had good morals and due to the catholic community we had a lot of friends and families around us. I didn't like being told at the age of five when I was naughty that I would burn in hell!!!!

However I decided to 16 to leave the faith since then I haven't been a practising Catholic, then I met my husband who is a science mad freak he's told me basically that God doesn't exist or two his knowledge he doesn't exist, all of the scientific fact and things he comes out with has really made me believe that God and the whole bible isn't really true no heaven and hell etc. The big bang is the way we started. In a way I feel like I've joined another religion atheist is it?!?!

I do have one customer who is a Jehovah's Witness and I love her way of life & thinking, she's so happy since she found her faith. I think I could deal with that, apart from no Christmas!!!

Like the idea of having faith, it gives people hope, happiness and friendship. I do wish I did have it sometimes x

I was brought up e catholic which I must admit had its ups and downs.
I had good morals and due to the catholic community we had a lot of friends and families around us. I didn't like being told at the age of five when I was naughty that I would burn in hell!!!!

However I decided to 16 to leave the faith since then I haven't been a practising Catholic, then I met my husband who is a science mad freak he's told me basically that God doesn't exist or two his knowledge he doesn't exist, all of the scientific fact and things he comes out with has really made me believe that God and the whole bible isn't really true no heaven and hell etc. The big bang is the way we started. In a way I feel like I've joined another religion atheist is it?!?!

I do have one customer who is a Jehovah's Witness and I love her way of life & thinking, she's so happy since she found her faith. I think I could deal with that, apart from no Christmas!!!

Like the idea of having faith, it gives people hope, happiness and friendship. I do wish I did have it sometimes x

I heard on BBC radio 4 a while back that there's an atheist "church/group" that meet up like a regular church. I'm thinking of going one day to have a nosey. They sounded like a friendly bunch who like in a religious church do things for charity and help each other out.

From a website:

"The Sunday Assembly idea was conceived by comedians Sanderson Jones (the beardy one from the Gumtree adverts) and Pippa Evans in the car on the way to a gig in Bath. We're talking a ‘godless gathering’ that has snowballed since its inception in January of this year.

The gathering is, what Sanderson has previously called ‘all the best bits of church’, but without the religion bit: the coming together, the singing, the dancing, debate, discussion, reflection, charity, tea, cake and establishing a mutually beneficial sense of community.

It’s a ‘church’ for people that like to congregate, but don’t believe in a god. It’s positively anti-dogmatic."

I heard on BBC radio 4 a while back that there's an atheist "church/group" that meet up like a regular church. I'm thinking of going one day to have a nosey. They sounded like a friendly bunch who like in a religious church do things for charity and help each other out.

From a website:

"The Sunday Assembly idea was conceived by comedians Sanderson Jones (the beardy one from the Gumtree adverts) and Pippa Evans in the car on the way to a gig in Bath. We're talking a ‘godless gathering’ that has snowballed since its inception in January of this year.

The gathering is, what Sanderson has previously called ‘all the best bits of church’, but without the religion bit: the coming together, the singing, the dancing, debate, discussion, reflection, charity, tea, cake and establishing a mutually beneficial sense of community.

It’s a ‘church’ for people that like to congregate, but don’t believe in a god. It’s positively anti-dogmatic."

that is an amazing idea! xxx

I am a Christian and was brought up Roman Catholic but don't follow the Catholic religion any more. This video has made me very sad. I can't believe it. Anyone wish to comment on it? feel free to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWn5_0t1pZk

Last edited:
Last edited:
Anyone good at reading Latin? Is this translation correct?

Fully fluent but what am I looking at lol. Unless I've missed something

Surrey Girl through and through x

The videos put up which is in Latin please x

Last edited:
I am a Christian and was brought up Roman Catholic but don't follow the Catholic religion any more. This video has made me very sad. I can't believe it. Anyone wish to comment on it? feel free to do so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWn5_0t1pZk

Hm.
I don't really know what to say about this.
All I'm going to say is that there is always going to be people that will make a religion look bad.
Christianity is nothing about worshipping lucifer so these people are making it look like that, who knows why they could be getting paid.
But I never judge a religion based on the people that follow it, judge the religion based on what it teaches.

I was brought up catholic and attended church right up until I was 15 (I'm now 23) I lost my gran, my papa and my uncle all with a short space between them and to be honest that completely destroyed all my faith. I know a lot of people turn to it when something like that happens but i just couldn't. I turned to being Wiccan for a while of my life and in some aspects it still makes sense in my head but I'm not practising anything. I'm just me haha. :)

I was raised as a Roman Catholic. Had my Christening, first Holy Communion and Confirmation. I love First Holy Communions, my little sister has hers this year and I cant wait. I just love seeing them in their mini wedding-style dresses.

I used to very strongly believe in my faith up until I was 14/ 15 but now I'm in two minds.

Its nice to think that maybe life after death isn't so bad. Xxx t

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back