What kind of certificate do I need?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cierax

Reaction score
Hi, i live in london and not really sure what kind of certificate or qualification i need to be able to work in a salon. Some colleges offer 1-2 years beauty courses involving nails and some places do week long courses. I dont know what to go for and really need help. Thanks :)

Look for an Ofqual regulated qualification if possible such as an NVQ. The standards are roughly the same and they are offered by both colleges of FE and private colleges these can be 1-2 years in length depending. Usually Level 2 in the first year followed by level 3 in the second. Private courses that are NVQ accredited can be done quickly and you can sometimes pick the units you do. Such as you may just want to do Waxing and Eye Treatments and none of the other stuff. But you won't get a full qualification if you do this. Just unit credits that qualify you in these areas. There are also private colleges and product training for companies that offer training to use their products specifically. Just because they have an accreditation like CPD or an IIQ license doesn't mean they're any good. Distance learning colleges can issue these types of qualification even without any practical training. It really comes down to research and what you want to achieve and do in the future and how you want to develop. For example, lots of people just want to do Permanent makeup so they just do that course. This can also open up entry to other similar courses. But if you want to do dermal fillers you will need a minimum of a level 3 in beauty for most providers. Some people just want to make a career out of nails so they do Manicure. Pedicure and Artificial Nail Structures and maybe, later on, do foot care for example. Just bear in mind that course providers in most cases just want your money! Ask around about courses see what other people say about them before committing and don't be afraid to ask questions! If they don't answer them move along. A couple of years ago we had to deal with the fall out of a course provider that came out of nowhere and took the UK by storm. We helped the students that were left behind and mopped up all the damage they did. Now they have moved onto the USA. We helped trading standards, MHRA, and the advertising standards agency kick them out of the UK. A good place to start is your local college because at least you will be gteed a NVQ qualification. There are currently no legal requiremenst even to have a qualification, but these are the best places to start as they teach business and management as well.

Hope this helps

Nicky xx

Most London boroughs have enacted bylaws that require salons to pay for a ‘special treatment licence’ to offer even basic manicure services and to employ staff with a minimum of a level 2 NVQ/VRQ or equivalent qualification. The council can close salons who don’t comply.

Even if you want to work on a self employed basis, you may have to apply for a special treatment licence. Contact your local borough for further info.

There‘s not much point wasting money taking courses if they aren’t recognised by govt. bodies. Lots of short courses will be ‘accredited’ by an insurance company but this may still not be adequate for council registration. Look for courses that offer a VRQ accreditation.

VRQ courses are standard these days. NVQ’s tend only to be offered if you’re following a recognised apprenticeship scheme. A VRQ Level 2 is a perfectly adequate entry level qualification.

There seems to be an increase in people who believe they can operate without any formal training.
I wish this country would enforce licensing as our profession is becoming more & more of a joke!

Latest posts

Back