What learning style are you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What learning type am I?

• Visual -learn through seeing

Votes: 32 26.4%
  • Auditory - learn through hearing

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Kinesthetic - learn through doing

Votes: 88 72.7%

• Total voters

hotnailz

Reaction score
I have been having real problems lately with getting to grips with my technique.
I've posted on Critiques a couple of times and always get great feedback, usually saying "check out the tutorials, get Nailclass, get mum's Encyclopedia of Nails." All of which I've done.
Here's the crunch.....
A teacher friend was telling me about the different types of learning styles there are and how everyone learns in a different way. There's:
  • Visual learners - best with illustrations, videos, flipcharts, diagrams etc. These learners will usually take detailed notes when in a learning environment.
  • Auditory learners - best with lectures, discussions, audio books etc. The written word may have little meaning for these learners until it is heard.
  • Kinesthetic (tactile) learners - these learners are best with the hands on approach, practical experiments. They need to be able to closely watch someone giving a demo and then practise doing it themselves.
I now know I'm a Kinesthetic learner!

So I've realised my problem. As fantastic a book as Nailclass is (for example) which is full of spot-on advice, perfect techniques and factual info - it's got no pictures and very few diagrams. It's no good for the likes of me, as no matter how much I read it, I just can't picture what I need to do!!:irked:
I have found things such as Carl's (nailzoo) website and other sites that have videos on them much better for me as I can watch and learn.

So what sort of learner are you? If you are like me and need to see practical demos to really understand something, how did that affect your training?

I too am a hands on learner I find reading all good and well but I need to see it and do it before I fully understand it.:hug:

I couldnt vote, cos I am 2 of them, I have to see and do. If its listening to somebody, their voice tends to turn into a drone for me and I switch off!

xx

I couldnt vote, cos I am 2 of them, I have to see and do. If its listening to somebody, their voice tends to turn into a drone for me and I switch off!

xx

Me too. I work much better seeing someone doing it first and then copying. Carl's vidseo have been great for me.

I, like you, have read the tutorials and the smaller ones are OK for me but, my mind loses the imagery, after a while, on the larger tutorials. No offence to anyone intended.

i voted wrong :eek: but anyway i'm a Kinesthetic learner for sure x

I learn from watching and then doing. Luckily I have had plenty of practice watching, which has helped me a heck of a lot.

I found this to be interesting:

We remember 10% of what we read

We remember 20% of what we hear

We remember 30% of what we see

We remember 50% of what we see & hear

We remember 80% of what we say

We remember 90% of what we say & do

:lol: hth

You are welcome to come over to the salon and watch me work if you want jane, im not the best tech in the world but you are more than welcome and we know each other now so you could leave your nerves at home lol :hug:

I definately like to be able to watch something first and then go away and have a go myself.

I read a lot of text/technical books but I have to be able to visualise things before they make sense.

If I am just verbally instructed then I'm hopeless. My short term memory is not good for a few reasons and so I just can't remember what I'm meant to be doing!!:lol:

I think I lean kinesthetic and visual. If I'm only hearing instructions, I think they go in one ear and right back out the other. The combination of some of Carl's videos and Nailclass together with my nail trainer have been really productive for me.

Partly too, I think it's just such an uphill battle when *everything* that you're learning is completely brand new to you. Now that I've got the routine for most basics in my head, it's much easier to concentrate on actual application.

S

Watch......do..........do again.....get it wrong.....watch again..........do.....penny drops and....LEARN!:lol:

I'm a bit like that!:)

i believe i too, like u, prefer a hands on approach to learning such intricate arts as nail extensions. i do believe that the first stage of learning any nail extension technique would be auditory & visual , however in practice there are so many tiny intricate moves and details needed to perfect this art, that very very few people, if any in my opinion, would be able to master the art simply from looking or listening. i strongly believe that 99% all great nail techs/beauticians/hairdressers learn to perfect their art down to a T using a hands on approach, being taught by someone else in the form of a practical demo with commentary, and then having that someone watch and correct them as they go to highlight and put their mistakes right. nails, hair and beauty are very much practical subjects for which one needs particularly dexterous hands, much like any form of art, hence a hands-on approach to teaching will always be superior to any other method, so i completely agree with u :)

xxx, love to all geeks,

ps) i love this site, learning new things everyday!

Yes, there are crossover styles, but of course I couldn't put all of them on the poll! lol.... but if you look at the Kinsesthetic style, you realise it should be visual/kinesthetic because you do need to watch something done first and then do it yourself. As opposed to just visual, which means you can pick something up just by looking at pictures or diagrams.

Also missing from my original post is that I want to make it clear that I'm certainly not dismissing tutorials and books out of hand, I just struggle to use them myself to great effect - that is my problem, not my learning materials!!:) The information in Nailclass is superb - it is the tech's Bible (and rightly so!) but oh, I wish there was a DVD version of it!!!:green:

Hey everyone... I def need to watch then try. I just cant seem to grasp something when just being told need to see and then do.....I think maybe because I doubt myself, that if I hadnt watched it being done, I would question if I was doing it right as would have nothing to compare to, if that makes sense.Lol

Aaaaah dvd of nailclass, how fab would that be? Its great anyhow, but that would be the icing on the cake if we could watch too!!!

i'm sure i read in another thread by geeg that there will be a dvd of nailclass soon

so your wish may come true

(apologies if i just totally got this wrong or misunderstood - cant find the thread now - always the way isnt it)

to learn and understand something new, you will lean to towards one of the learning styles - but you really need all 3 learning styles/ teaching methods to fully understand - well i do anyway lol

nicola
x

hi - found it

it was on the 'nailclass on cd' thread but aaargh dont know how to link it to my reply

have to sleep on this can't do technical things at this time of the night

nicola
x

I think im all of the above... its how you are taught that matters to me. i love to learn by all methods....... I really would struggle to choose a stronger method! a teacher by respect wins me...

xx

Hmmm, hard one this but I think I learn through practising over and over so Id have to say Kinesthetic.

I definatly learn through doing, if someone tells me something it will go in one ear and out the other...most of the time, but when i practice and actually do something i learn it much faster and also better!

from sitting a test at college i have just found out i am a kinasthetic (watch then learn)learner.......learn something new everyday

Latest posts

Back