What letters to put after your name?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teena_B

Reaction score
Me again!
Just wondering, how do you know which letters you can put after your name? I mean, when you make up your business cards, etc, do you put VTCT, ANT, etc etc, or what? Just interested to know what other people do! If for example I joined the ANT would I be able to put that on my stationery even though I did not train with them?
Teena B

Teena_B said:
Me again!
Just wondering, how do you know which letters you can put after your name? I mean, when you make up your business cards, etc, do you put VTCT, ANT, etc etc, or what? Just interested to know what other people do! If for example I joined the ANT would I be able to put that on my stationery even though I did not train with them?
Teena B
I have at the bottom of my business cards put:

Proprietor: Carole Lindsay (VTCT NVQ Level 2)

I find it extremely confusing so do hope that i've put the right qualification on it, lol!! I was told by the college that was what i'd done so took their word for it ;)

Carole - Just noted that you have NVQ level 2 which I am sure would go towards the new NVQ qualification.

NailNovice2 said:
Carole - Just noted that you have NVQ level 2 which I am sure would go towards the new NVQ qualification.
I think that's what i'm trying to establish really! What does my qualification allow me to do! I did VTCT NVQ Level 2 in Nail Treatments (ie man & ped) at college then did foundation course for enhancements and nail art with Star Nails so am very confused!!

im studying towards my nvq 2 so im doing about 5 beauty vtcts includin manicure and pedicure, waxing, skin tanning , facials , eyetreatmnts and make up then i will have the full nvq 2 thats wat my local college and brentwood academy do. as far as i know if you have just done a vtct in mani and pedi you have only done part of an nvq this is wat my tutors have told me xx so if i wanted to do nvq 3 after it will include massage nail tech etc xx

Hi Carol,

I think emma is right . I did my NVQ Level 2 (Beauty Therapy ) about 5 years ago . This qualification is made up of lots of different units . Manicures and Pedicures is just one unit ( unit 13 )of the NVQ. To qualify for the NVQ Level 2 you need to have done all the units . These may vary only slightly from college to college . Typically though it is made up of
Manicure and Pedicures
Waxing
Facials
Make Up
Eyebrow treatments (ie shaping and colouring )

To go on to Level 3 NVQ (Beauty Therapy) you MUST have done the whole NVQ Level 2. A lot of colleges offer the VTCT in Diploma of Advanced Nail Techniques (Extensions) and do be able to do this you must usually hold Unit 13 of the NVQ2 which you have .Hope this makes sense .

Kind Regards
Karen
Light Elegance UK

perfect10kb said:
Hi Carol,

I think emma is right . I did my NVQ Level 2 (Beauty Therapy ) about 5 years ago . This qualification is made up of lots of different units . Manicures and Pedicures is just one unit ( unit 13 )of the NVQ. To qualify for the NVQ Level 2 you need to have done all the units . These may vary only slightly from college to college . Typically though it is made up of
Manicure and Pedicures
Waxing
Facials
Make Up
Eyebrow treatments (ie shaping and colouring )

To go on to Level 3 NVQ (Beauty Therapy) you MUST have done the whole NVQ Level 2. A lot of colleges offer the VTCT in Diploma of Advanced Nail Techniques (Extensions) and do be able to do this you must usually hold Unit 13 of the NVQ2 which you have .Hope this makes sense .

Kind Regards
Karen
Light Elegance UK
Thanx for the clarification. I understand that my qualification is part of the NVQ2 so can you tell me, by any chance, what i'd be entitled to put on my business cards?

Hi again carol

Oh god thats a hard one .

I suppose that technically you would be entitled to put NVQ Level 2 Unit 13 (lol). But that is a real mouthful and not sure it would mean that much to the people reading your cards .

What about something like - Fully qualified in Manicures,Pedicures (NVQ2/13)and Advanced Nail Techniques (god thats a mouthful too ) Sorry not that good at this .

Karen x :confused:

Teena,

If you joined ANT it would mean you being a member of that association so that is what you could put on your cards
Member of A.N.T.

When I first did my cards I actually put Member of the Association Of Nail Technicians as I though they would understand this better ! :biggrin:

Karen
Light Elegance UK

perfect10kb said:
Hi again carol

Oh god thats a hard one .

I suppose that technically you would be entitled to put NVQ Level 2 Unit 13 (lol). But that is a real mouthful and not sure it would mean that much to the people reading your cards .

What about something like - Fully qualified in Manicures,Pedicures (NVQ2/13)and Advanced Nail Techniques (god thats a mouthful too ) Sorry not that good at this .

Karen x :confused:
This is fun isnt it??? What's the Unit 13 bit?? At the moment my business cards have:

Carole Lindsay (VTCT NVQ Level 2)

Do you reckon that's ok??

what about Miss XXX (you bet I'm trained!!!) lol

Carole Lindsay said:
This is fun isnt it??? What's the Unit 13 bit?? At the moment my business cards have:

Carole Lindsay (VTCT NVQ Level 2)

Do you reckon that's ok??

Technically Carole you have only done a small section of the NVQ 2, So i would just put IHBC VTCT.

Unit 13 is the manicure and Pedicure bit of the NVQ2 Beauty therapy :biggrin:

Now I'm confused lol because VTCT isn't the same as an NVQ ..although the VTCT can count TOWARDS an NVQ (Carole did you do a VTCT and an NVQ?) also I believe VTCT IS the same as IHBC! :)

Hi Tracy,

NVQ as we all know stands for National Vocational Qualification .

VTCT and IHBC are two of the bodies that issue various certificates .

VTCT stands for Vocational Training Charitable Trust
IHBC stands for International Health and Beauty Council

For example I have an NVQ Level 2 in Beauty Therapy and the issuing body is the VTCT. My Diploma in Advanced Nail techniques is issued by the IHBC

Bit like my sons A level certificates .He got three but although they were all A Levels all the certificates were from different awarding bodies . Hope I havn't confused you more :confused:

Kind Regards
Karen x
Light Elegance UK

TracyUK said:
Now I'm confused lol because VTCT isn't the same as an NVQ ..although the VTCT can count TOWARDS an NVQ (Carole did you do a VTCT and an NVQ?) also I believe VTCT IS the same as IHBC! :)
This is exactly why i was confused coz at the top of the certificate it says in big bold letters INTERNATIONAL HEALTH AND BEAUTY COUNCIL and at the bottom where the signature is it says "for Vocational Training Charitable Trust". I think i'd best change it to what Lesley has suggested!

lesley1965 said:
Technically Carole you have only done a small section of the NVQ 2, So i would just put IHBC VTCT.
Thanx for the advice, Lesley. I will change it to say that ready for the next batch i print!

Hi Carol,

Just because I am nosy :lol: . Like you my certificate has IHBC at the top and down at the bottom by signature For VTCT BUT it also has what the certificate was for .i.e. mine says Diploma in Advanced Nail Techniques . Your must say on it somewhere what it was issued for . Probaly in the centre in big letters . can you see it . ? What does it say ?. This should give you a clear indication of what the certificate is in .

karen x

perfect10kb said:
Hi Carol,

Just because I am nosy :lol: . Like you my certificate has IHBC at the top and down at the bottom by signature For VTCT BUT it also has what the certificate was for .i.e. mine says Diploma in Advanced Nail Techniques . Your must say on it somewhere what it was issued for . Probaly in the centre in big letters . can you see it . ? What does it say ?. This should give you a clear indication of what the certificate is in .

karen x
Hi Karen: it says Level 2 Certificate in Nail Treatments

Hi Karen no I understood about the various qualifications thanks ... it's just that I wouldn't have put nvq as my list of qualifications (as carole mentioned)if it was just a vtct certificate i had...like leslie said :)

Latest posts

Back