What makes a good business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

squidgernetball

Ubergeek
Reaction score
A little food for thought for those of you in business. Yet again, I'm looking for a new hairdresser. Why??? The last lady I went to did great colour and cut, but revelled in drama - the phone would ring, she'd answer it and chat while I sat there meekly waiting for her to finish. The salon wasn't the cleanest, she often ran out of milk and the coffee cup was chipped. She also used to use about 3 different colours for my highlights and a darker colour for in between. After a while, this went down to 2 colours - light and dark, with no comment and no price change.

Fast forward to a new salon. Lovely hairdresser, but puts 2 colours on my hair - light and dark. I've asked for honey tones several times, but it just doesn't happen. They don't take cards, which to me is the biggest sin. If you want clients to spend money with you make it easy for them. They have told me for a year that they are sorting the card machine. They've also told me for a year that they're sorting the very unattractive toilet. Neither has been done, and they told me yesterday that they're not getting a card machine. Why bother when there's a cash point two doors away. I asked them how many products they sell. None was the answer. My salon retails in the region of £600 per week - we wouldn't do that without a card machine!

I'm voting with my feet. I want a clean, warm salon with a nice toilet and coffee in a decent cup. I want wifi so I can put pointless things on forums. I want to pay with a card. Oh and I want someone who is going to be able to do more than one colour on my hair.

Not all salons are the same - I'd rather pay more for what I want than go for the cheapest. It's the same in my industry which is beauty. How does your salon compare? Are you losing clients and wondering why?

I look at our salon and I have ticked off all the things I can control. There's milk in the fridge, the cups are pretty and clean. The salon is warm and the toilets are lovely. There's free parking outside. Prices are competitive. The treatments are down to us, but everything else is in order.

How does your salon stand up???

Vic x

Great post. Just for any ladies who do gents hair also, we also care about those things. I've spent many years going to all sorts of barbers and getting £10 cuts etc. out of convenience. Since moving to the west country I now visit the same hairdressers as my partner and pay £42.50 for a wash and cut and have to book at least a few weeks in advance. I get a drink in a proper glass and as I'm thinning young (trying to keep as much of my hair as possible for my wedding!) I get a decent consultation and a fantastic cut in a great environment. Best I've had in fact. She spends time on it and cuts it to what's needed. I don't mind paying more for someone who is going to take their time and do a 'proper' job on my hair because time is money and I understand that.

It's exactly how I price my own business services. Time is money :)

Such a brilliant and relevant post! So many of the issues we find in sub-standard salons, in my opinion, have to do with lack of emotional intelligence. There seems to be an inability, or lack of desire, to think ahead and prepare for expectations of your cliental.

I've honestly not one clue why these areas of focus would not be the first and foremost of concerns! How would your stylist like to go to the mall and get into the dressing room to find no mirror? How about going to her favourite coffee shop and asking for her regular drink, only to find the've left out a couple of the ingredients? Do you think she would be satisfied with that? Do you think she would go back?

It's also often the littlest of things that mean the most. Putting your client first means making sure they have a lovely cup to drink from. It means taking the time to fill out a card which also lists little things about them, such as how they like their tea, what their hobbies are, little things you would find while working on them. It isn't that hard. It's your livelihood for goodness sake! Make an effort. Please. xx

I walk myself thru the client experience at my home salon on a monthly basis, from driving up to the house through to lying down on my beauty bed semi-naked, seeing what they see, checking for draughts and seeing if there are cobwebs on the ceiling [emoji51]. I'm always surprised at how unclean some places I've visited for treatments are - and that includes the staff - I don't want to be able to smell the cheese and onion salad you ate for lunch on your clothes, hands or breath!

My major bugbear is timekeeping. I tried a new hairdressers last month, my appointment was supposed to be at 10.30, the stylist got to me at 11.10 (as I was about to walk out). Apparently they were running late because the client before me had arrived late. I'm not sure why they then decided that would become MY problem, but even if they'd given me the best hairdo I'd ever had in my life, I wouldn't go back.

I take your point about the card machine, I actually ordered one last week - most of my clients will probably still pay with cash but I've had a couple of occasions where someone has wanted to add another treatment on (eg, underarm wax) but hadn't had enough cash on them. And I'm going to try a bit of aftercare retail.

Good post and all food for thought.

I love the idea of putting how they take their drinks on a record card, what a lovely, thoughtful little touch!
I used to visit a salon and have waxing done. When I was laying on the bed, there was nothing to do other than to look for imperfections on the ceiling/walls, of which there were plenty! I hate seeing cobwebs around - they just make the place look and feel dirty. It doesn't take much to remove them. Grubby fingerprints on walls as well, makes me cringe!
I don't think I'd be able to justify having a card machine for a while after getting started although I've not looked into cost etc but I do agree, it definitely makes life easier, for both parties.
I will be mobile and I have a summerhouse in my garden to work in, once it's all completed and I'm up and running. Because of being mobile, it must make the nice little touches like tea/coffee etc more difficult?

Argh! My downfall is my wonky floor and crappy (pardon the pun) toilet.

However. There isn't masses I can do about that!

I'm in a shop and the whole thing is Unlevel. I wish now. I had spent the money on levelling it.

The toilet are public loos. And they are improving. I keep meaning to go in and have a good scrub. But then I think that it's not just me and my customers that use them. And the stores customers abuse them, so why should I?! I also believe I'm paying rent, with facilities included, so they should keep on top of them!

The other concession has mentioned about us paying for it to be redone. So maybe time to approach the landlord.

Card machine I could not cope without. I didn't have one for my first week and was a nightmare!!

I do struggle with doing the customer journey. I struggle to see it from a different perspective and I would probably make excuses for myself...

I could now, be cleaning. But instead. I'm salon geeking!

If somewhere doesn't take card generally I'll go somewhere else that does. Honestly I can count how many days a year on both hands I actually have cash on me.

Just had my haircut and the shampoo and conditioner smells lovely! This is a plus for me. Sad I know...

I think consistency of service is also key. The majority of my clients have been coming to me in excess of 10 years, and several of them have commented on the fact that I pay as much attention to them now as the first day they came. I still set the room up properly, I still tuck them in when they're laying down, I never assume they want the same as last time (I.e. I ask them how their skin was after the last treatment and if they would like to make any changes in their treatment) etc etc.

I find some therapists have a tendency to put clients in the 'friend' category when they've been coming a long time, and treat them as such, despite the fact they are paying clients.

I put off getting a card machine for yonks until I ordered one last week.I put it off for two reasons- thinking it would be expensive & eat into my lower priced treatments & then worrying it would be overly complicated to work.

I was soo wrong on both counts! Wish i had got one years ago. Its been out allday today (first day having it) & makes upselling easier. I never have cash on me & pay by card everywhere so think nowdays its essential :) xx

A little food for thought for those of you in business. Yet again, I'm looking for a new hairdresser. Why??? The last lady I went to did great colour and cut, but revelled in drama - the phone would ring, she'd answer it and chat while I sat there meekly waiting for her to finish. The salon wasn't the cleanest, she often ran out of milk and the coffee cup was chipped. She also used to use about 3 different colours for my highlights and a darker colour for in between. After a while, this went down to 2 colours - light and dark, with no comment and no price change.

Fast forward to a new salon. Lovely hairdresser, but puts 2 colours on my hair - light and dark. I've asked for honey tones several times, but it just doesn't happen. They don't take cards, which to me is the biggest sin. If you want clients to spend money with you make it easy for them. They have told me for a year that they are sorting the card machine. They've also told me for a year that they're sorting the very unattractive toilet. Neither has been done, and they told me yesterday that they're not getting a card machine. Why bother when there's a cash point two doors away. I asked them how many products they sell. None was the answer. My salon retails in the region of £600 per week - we wouldn't do that without a card machine!

I'm voting with my feet. I want a clean, warm salon with a nice toilet and coffee in a decent cup. I want wifi so I can put pointless things on forums. I want to pay with a card. Oh and I want someone who is going to be able to do more than one colour on my hair.

Not all salons are the same - I'd rather pay more for what I want than go for the cheapest. It's the same in my industry which is beauty. How does your salon compare? Are you losing clients and wondering why?

I look at our salon and I have ticked off all the things I can control. There's milk in the fridge, the cups are pretty and clean. The salon is warm and the toilets are lovely. There's free parking outside. Prices are competitive. The treatments are down to us, but everything else is in order.

Vic x
Lol, I hope my salon would pass your test! I agree with the card machine, 80% of my payments are by card and although I don't shift a lot of retail, I doubt I would do any if we were cash only! We make notes on the computer about drinks and what clients do for a living or any thing interesting etc as it helps make conversation easier next time.
I need to invest in foot rests as a couple of clients have mentioned their feet don't touch the floor. Being a short Arse, I have this problem my whole life and it's never really bothered me but I feel I want to make them as comfortable as poss so as soon as funds allow, that's next on my list!
I def think clients would rather pay a bit extra for what they want rather then have you be the cheapest salon in town.

Vic x
Your chair awaits my dear :) I check every box :)
I do need to put some Lino down in the toilet but the current crappy square tiles are so clean you could eat your dinner off them (which you can buy from the cafe next door or pop your own in my microwave ;) ) i have plates tho so it's really not nessecary to actually eat off the floor :rolleyes:

Just a thought here, I think when you take on board customers views and actually take action on them it makes them feel valued :) like the foot rests for example, 20 people may have mentioned that to you and when they see them the next time they come each of them will think ah look she listened :)

Banner penguin... I have a totally new perspective on cutting men's hair now from the insight you shared here :) I watched a video once on YouTube called something like $100 haircut, he spoke about the luxury and how much he enjoyed it, I think I see a new avenue to add to my business :)

I think that's so right @surf girl. My hairdresser has talked to me for a year about getting a card machine. I bought both my girls hair vouchers from there for Christmas. I'm there every 5 weeks paying for cut and colour and I felt unfeasibly angry when they now say "there's no point getting a card machine when there's a cash point two doors away". I said you do it so clients can spend money easily.

Yesterday I took over £250 in card payments over the phone for vouchers and products - all on a card machine - not a regular occurrence, but regular enough. I can't believe that businesses can be so short sighted.

If you listen to your clients and implement what they discuss or suggest (as long as it's in keeping with your company) then as you say, it actually sounds like you give a sh1t!

Vic x

Your chair awaits my dear :) I check every box :)
I do need to put some Lino down in the toilet but the current crappy square tiles are so clean you could eat your dinner off them (which you can buy from the cafe next door or pop your own in my microwave ;) ) i have plates tho so it's really not nessecary to actually eat off the floor :rolleyes:
And as you know, I'm not telling you when I'm coming. I'm going to do a Mary Portas salon inspection without you knowing and then I'm going to plonk in your chair for my cut and colour ;)

Vic x

Just a thought here, I think when you take on board customers views and actually take action on them it makes them feel valued :) like the foot rests for example, 20 people may have mentioned that to you and when they see them the next time they come each of them will think ah look she listened :)

Banner penguin... I have a totally new perspective on cutting men's hair now from the insight you shared here :) I watched a video once on YouTube called something like $100 haircut, he spoke about the luxury and how much he enjoyed it, I think I see a new avenue to add to my business :)
I'm glad to be of some small help :)

I know I'm not alone. My cousin often spends a small fortune on his hair cuts and so does one of my friends. I'm from Essex originally as many of you know so things can be a tad more expensive down that way but where I actually lived there was tons of cheap barbers yet my friend still chooses to jump on a 30min train ride into London to go get his haircut and pay nearly £100.

Men are VERY loyal customers as a general I think you'll find. Once you have us, we'll keep coming back but always make sure we rebook before we leave because we are useless at that kind of thing and often won't call to book.

I'm glad to be of some small help :)

I know I'm not alone. My cousin often spends a small fortune on his hair cuts and so does one of my friends. I'm from Essex originally as many of you know so things can be a tad more expensive down that way but where I actually lived there was tons of cheap barbers yet my friend still chooses to jump on a 30min train ride into London to go get his haircut and pay nearly £100.

Men are VERY loyal customers as a general I think you'll find. Once you have us, we'll keep coming back but always make sure we rebook before we leave because we are useless at that kind of thing and often won't call to book.
I have found this with male clients, they are so loyal once they find a place they enjoy going to and come regularly once a month. Men are always more generous with tips as well. You can spend 3 hours with a lady doing cut and colour & be lucky to get a tip whereas men will be in your chair for less than half an hour and make a point of leaving a tip! There are lots of barbers in my little high street that are cheaper than us but that doesn't seem to be an issue for them. They get offered refreshments, a shampoo as standard & complimentary beard trims if required and I think they enjoy the relaxed atmosphere maybe more than the express in/out service of a barbers.

One of my clients was talking about haircuts today. She was going to try the salon I go to. I said I was annoyed as they don't have a card machine. She said "that's ridiculous. I'm not going there then".

But the cash point is just down the road :p

Great thread! I have a home salon and always ensure that my room is spotless and tidy. Scuff marks on the walls also annoy me so I touch them up with paint when I can as well. Looking at your salon from an outside perspective regularly is so helpful as being in the same environment day in day out can almost blinker you to problems there may be.
Unfortunately I still take cash only, but getting a card machine is definitely something I will be doing soon and know it will make a difference in the amount of retail I can sell. I actually never carry cash and am shocked when places don't take cards! I think this is relevant to a lot of small businesses; if you yourself mostly use cards not cash, why expect your clients to do differently?

I also work from home and ensure its warm, comfy (everyone says they love the squishy leather chair they sit in) and nice drinks offerings in a pretty Cath kidston cup. There's only me so I'm totally in control of the quality of service which going by my all 5 * reviews on Facebook and yell, and lots of repeat custom, hopefully is what they want.

This thread made me consider why, in the last few years, I've had to change hairdresser twice. Firstly, fab cutter so stuck it out but a don't care attitude got me in the end, when the greeting was "come in, siddown, what we doin" delivered in 5 seconds flat I decided that would be my last visit. Next place very good cut, but always had to remember to take cash ... Then after a few visits, twice running he just didn't listen to what I wanted and I know people say you should say afterwards if you're not happy but I feel when you've asked for something specific, in my case, several inches off, or to leave the fringe growing out not chop it all back in) you shouldn't be made to feel awkward by asking for more length off at the finish of service when you're shown the back, LISTEN the first time

Another thing I do like is for other people in the salon, incl those not involved in giving your treatment, to appear friendly even if it's just a smile. Massively changes the mood in there.

Also some places you walk in and nobody acknowledges you - dreadful

Current new salon/stylist ticking all the boxes - fingers crossed!

to be honest when it comes to hair - if they do a good job give me what I want then I don't really care if they have a card machine, amazing toilets, wifi, 10 flavours of coffee lol... I just want a good hair do.

.... when I go Belfast there's a little salon I've discovered and its the most basic simple place you can imagine.. but the guy does the best ever hairstyle for me and has a lovely personality.. wouldn't dream of going elsewhere

Latest posts

Back