What makes a good educator?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wee Fee

Reaction score
I would love to become an educator in the future, I'd like to know, when you first trained as a nail technician what was it about the educator that inspired you to want to become a fantastic nail tech?
Was it their patience?
Their professionalism?
Their demos?
Thier dedication?
Their knowledge?
Their personality?
A combination, or something else?

Fe fo sawasdee ka

You have to be everything u speak and MORE .

Mui from Thailand

I got into training cause i felt my trainer was a load of ****!!!!!

I then re-trained with Gigi (11 years ago! and she still holds my hand even now) and she inspired me so much, i realised there was more to being a trainer than sticking on nails. The support, advice, inspiration you give will stay with your student forever.

I do feel that trainers need experience in the nail industry, as you learn a lot from day to day work. I trained for 2 years at college part time, worked full time in a salon for 2 years, did 3 months in 3 different nail salons for work experience, worked as a tech/beautician for 5 years in my own family salon, and trained with 5 different nail companies before i started teaching.

I took my assessors qualifications, then my internal verifcation exams, then my 7306 in adult education. I also did my NVQ level 4 in training and development and this taught the importance of structured training courses, lesson plans, professional confirmation letters, feedback forms, training manuals, information and support systems and loads more. I hope now that after 7 years of teaching and assessing, that i have finally got my training courses up to a high standard.

You must have a patient and understanding personality, be able to give negative and positive constructive comments, and make your student feel like they have your total attention, even in a class of 20!

Its a great move on from being a nail tech, and even better if you combine both. I love my job ( i think the geeks have gathered that!!), and i struggle to cope with 3 kids and the business. When my family moved to Portugal and my hubby buggered off with another woman, i felt like giving up. Its only the support from students, and this fantastic industry that kept me ging with my teaching, and boy am i glad, I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

WOW! Chocolate .... your post is the kind that I find inspiring!

Thank you so much, thats really sweet. xx

If you ever want to teach in the future, come and spend a day with me, its bloody hard work ;) but it will give you a chance to see what goes on. It may put you off, or like me, you will LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

I think a good educator is somebody who can speak everybodys language. I mean adapt his/herself to individual peoples needs. Some people learn by doing, some by seeing, some by having someone behind them all the time, some by being praised alot, and some by being pulled into line now and again.ha ha ha!

And much more, chocolate said the restxxxx

Thanks for your replies folks :)
Chocolate, your message sure is inspiring. It's great to get information and advice from someone with so much experience and such a love of the industry.
Now more than ever I am full of enthusiasm and looking forward to what lies ahead.
Thanks for the inspiration :)
xXx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back