What makes a good manager?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l.a.m.x

Reaction score
Hi all,

A new thread for discussion!

I would like to hear what in your opinions makes a good manager? I've been hooked on Tabathas salon takeover and its surprising how many staff members say 'I hate that there's no rules here!'

I've had great managers and awful managers. Some of you will be 'your own' boss but I'd like if we could share our experiences... So I'll start!

The worst boss I had was SO nice, but she couldn't control anyone, let everyone walk all over her and couldn't use a computer.

The best boss I have had was one who would never ask us to do something she couldn't do herself.

Look forward to your stories x

My best boss was old school , really nice very professional took no sh!! off. Staff , helped me when training , loved her firm but fair ,

Worst was the salon I lasted 7 weeks in , ignoring me for no reason , buying products from the £ shop and supermarkets , slagged off clients , if she didn't like someone she would up the price to put the potential clients off , so unprofessional with a very very bad attitude and said once she will do what she wants as she's the boss ! X

I prefer my managers to be firm but fair, if a manager is too nice/friendly as you say they get walked all over.

They do need to be approachable, and understanding.

What annoys me is, when a manager treats staff differently. Example: rota isn't being stuck to by one member but they don't do anything about it, and the other staff pick up the pieces. I have confronted a manager on this, and she has gone to the colleague " Steph said you haven't been doing xyz" its up to them to manage things appropriately. Xx

I prefer my managers to be firm but fair, if a manager is too nice/friendly as you say they get walked all over.

They do need to be approachable, and understanding.

What annoys me is, when a manager treats staff differently. Example: rota isn't being stuck to by one member but they don't do anything about it, and the other staff pick up the pieces. I have confronted a manager on this, and she has gone to the colleague " Steph said you haven't been doing xyz" its up to them to manage things appropriately. Xx

I couldn't have put it better! I like managers to be firm but fair and also to know where you stand with them. Xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I think they should have passion to make the clients experience a good one, and encourage and support their staff to do the same (not slag the clients off....although I do have one!!!) They should lead by example - if there are no mobile phones allowed, they should be included in that. They should be prepared to get their hands dirty to ensure the smooth running of the salon and they should be able to delegate WELL - ie, not asking the same person because they know that person will always say yes! When I have had managers in the past, I know very quickly the good from the bad. The leaders are showing the way and the direction they want the business to go in, and the bad ones are up for an easy life, want to gossip a bit, but put you down if anyone more senior is around!!!

My best managers have been those that wouldnt ask you to do something unless they were prepared to do it themselves. My worst managerd have just b*****d about everyone else, been lazy and expect me to drop everything for them.

Good managers are few and far between compared to the bad ones ehich is a shame cos it gives good managers a bad name
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back