What makes you nostalgic?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snugglepuss

Reaction score
I got reading a thread by Jac Extreme which was absolutely fab so (I thought with along with a little help from a talented lady :wink2: ) that I would do a thread on a similar vein! (I'll add the link in a second)

So geeky ones what makes you feel nostalgic - is it a certain record, a picture, a smell a rerun of a tv series?.

I was watching Life on Mars (on CD) and it brought back loads of memories for me :green: mainly about how much easier life seemed to be in 1973 :hug:

So come on then geeky ones - what takes you back in time???

for me it would be ;
music .. old songs from the school disco's
sweets... lol finding that longed for goody I've not seen since I was 10 (those flying saucers !! and red shoe laces !)
kids TV.. I've found nick 2 shows all my childhood favs after 7pm, me and the little man sit and watch them before bed time, rainbow, bagbuss, button moon, mr ben, the flumps anything late 70's lol .. arh it all seems soo much calmer then.

Well now I was in the salon the other day doing some waxing on a lady when "If we hold on together" by Diana Ross came on. Suddenly I was nearly in tears as it bought back such vivid memories of when my girls were little and we used to watch The Land Before Time all the time, and we'd always cry when Little Foot's mum dies and then this song comes on. It was like I was in a time machine, snuggled up with my two poppets watching tv!

Oh and I flicked on TV Gold the other day and there was Dallas, complete with Jay Arrrrr, Swellen, Barbeee and Pammeeee! I remember having one of those sad badges that had "who shot JR?" and we all know it was Swellin's sister Krysten played by Mary Crosby , Bing's daughter! I loved that series and the windswept breakfasts and massive shoulder pads you could serve a banquet on!

I love looking through my photo albums. Seeing my little men as newborns and thinking 'how did they grow so quickly?' and also 'glad they're not that age again!'. And the older ones of me and my sis on hols when we were little. Life was good then but better now! Wouldn't swap my babies for anything!

Well now I was in the salon the other day doing some waxing on a lady when "If we hold on together" by Diana Ross came on. Suddenly I was nearly in tears as it bought back such vivid memories of when my girls were little and we used to watch The Land Before Time all the time, and we'd always cry when Little Foot's mum dies and then this song comes on. It was like I was in a time machine, snuggled up with my two poppets watching tv!

Oh and I flicked on TV Gold the other day and there was Dallas, complete with Jay Arrrrr, Swellen, Barbeee and Pammeeee! I remember having one of those sad badges that had "who shot JR?" and we all know it was Swellin's sister Krysten played by Mary Crosby , Bing's daughter! I loved that series and the windswept breakfasts and massive shoulder pads you could serve a banquet on!

omg how sad am I, I've been watching the re runs of this (gold at 5, damn that sky tv !) but I never knew kristen was bing crosby's daugher !! learn something new every day on here .. I'm putting that in the next pub quiz lol !

I'm the trivia queen lol!

It is always songs that do it to me, Wind beneath my wings and missing you remind me of my lovely Dad and I laugh cry and remember him with so much love whenever I hear them. The song dream reminds me of playing out as a kid on the playground and singing our heads off and the streets of london was another we sing while eating a chip butty on the pavement Oh the memories :)

I made a steak & kidney pie tonight from scratch, even the pastry :green: and because I had the time to do it, really enjoyed it. It took me back, though, to my dear Nan in the 1970's, letting me help her in her kitchen, showing me how to wet the edges before placing the top on, even the shape of the little glass she used to put the water in to dip her finger in came back to me, how she used a fork to press down the edges and my clumsy attempts when I was about 4 or 5 to press the fork on the edges like she did without breaking the pastry with the prongs:hug: ahh, sweet memories.

I even cut little leaves and placed them in the same pattern she used to. And I made the pie on an old plate like she used to, instead of a dish . . . it came out lovely btw, hubby was well impressed :lol:

Right down memory lane I was . . .

Well given that Snuggs just bumped up an old thread of Gigi' from about 3 years ago I saw so many old faces and just wondered ... where are they now? :hug:

Well given that Snuggs just bumped up an old thread of Gigi' from about 3 years ago I saw so many old faces and just wondered ... where are they now? :hug:

Yep shame that they didnt stay for the ride :) But we are still here lmao

Ooh I've got another one - the smell of polo's always reminds me of my nan (god rest her soul) because she always had them in her bag.

Music brings nostalgia and memories back for me....especially one called Nostalgia (lol) by The Chamelions.....Amarige perfume reminds me of my mates wedding where I was bridesmaid....I haven't been in touch with her for years...but the smell always reminds me and makes me wonder....

So sassy...and Clara,maybe i should organise a "dallas" night...i have the whole series on DVD...LMAO

Still waiting for |Knots landing to come out on dvd:cry:

Im nostalgic thinking of that...i just wanted to be Valene Ewing,dancing with Lucy her daughter by the californian sea...:lol:

Im watching at the moment Huckleberry Finn and his friends that ive got on dvd...Oh the memories...:green:

But dallas and Knots all the way for me...and on that note ill get back to season 5....No Sue Ellen dont get back with JR...you belong to Dusty Farlow:lol::lol:

Nostalgia should be my middle name lol. Whenever I hear a song from Grease or a clip from the movie it takes me back to standing in the queue at the pics waiting to see it for the 5th time!!! Arguing with your your friends as to who is going to be Sandi or Danny when bobbing to Your the One that I Want in your bedroom:eek:

Music wise there are loads but the one that always gets me is And the Beat goes on by the Whispers, great memories of bopping to that round my handbag with my best mate, before we were involved in a car accident and tragically she died, but happy memories though.

The smell of yeast, my dad making home-made bread.

OOO I wonder what they are all upto now????

Dallas brings back memories for me as well :green:

Neighbours - Peter O'Brien - now in Casualty ????

music and smells do it for me,
especially old songs
my dad is a country fan, and i remember all the old songs, remind me of a time when my mum and dad seperated, still some songs today really get to me!!
and smells
particulary the smell of a florists, i cant walk in one or past one without it reminding me of my first daughter, i like that memory

great thread debs xxx

My eldest daughter named her younger sister Paige after the character by the same name from Knots Landing...she was Macks daughter played by Nicolette Sheridan ( Edie from Desparate Housewives). Knots Landing was my fave...Dallas was brill and I knew all along it was Krystle who done it...I have a school diary from that time telling my teacher who had done it!!! I also informed him she was Bing Crosby's daughter...what a know-all I must have been...well still am :rolleyes: I'm sure my poor teacher must have just skipped my work.
I also loved Falcons Crest, Dynasty, Colbys and every other 80's American soaps. Oh and not forgetting Kids From Fame...loved Leroy R.I.P :cry: Watching my DVD's takes me back to 1982 and wearing the ra-ra skirts with legwarmers.

As for smells...Estee Lauder Youth Dew and Aramis reminds me of my mum and dad from my childhood.

Music has to be the Carpenters, played all through my younger days....
Stop..whoah yeah wait a minute mister postman...wayyy ayyy ayyyy ay mister postman...:Love:

And holidays to Tenby...South Wales... ahhhh bliss takes me back to happy times. Whenever I get the chance to go back I can go right back in time as its one of those places that has barely changed in 30 odd years...well more than that probably. :hug:

My eldest daughter named her younger sister Paige after the character by the same name from Knots Landing...she was Macks daughter played by Nicolette Sheridan ( Edie from Desparate Housewives). Knots Landing was my fave...Dallas was brill and I knew all along it was Krystle who done it...I have a school diary from that time telling my teacher who had done it!!! I also informed him she was Bing Crosby's daughter...what a know-all I must have been...well still am :rolleyes: I'm sure my poor teacher must have just skipped my work.
I also loved Falcons Crest, Dynasty, Colbys and every other 80's American soaps. Oh and not forgetting Kids From Fame...loved Leroy R.I.P :cry: Watching my DVD's takes me back to 1982 and wearing the ra-ra skirts with legwarmers.

As for smells...Estee Lauder Youth Dew and Aramis reminds me of my mum and dad from my childhood.

Music has to be the Carpenters, played all through my younger days....
Stop..whoah yeah wait a minute mister postman...wayyy ayyy ayyyy ay mister postman...:Love:

And holidays to Tenby...South Wales... ahhhh bliss takes me back to happy times. Whenever I get the chance to go back I can go right back in time as its one of those places that has barely changed in 30 odd years...well more than that probably. :hug:
Its good to know theres another Knots Landing geek...there isnt many of us out there...:lol:
I always loved Abbys make up...her eye shadow:eek:

And as for valenes twin babies,when she "lost" them:rolleyes:

Was always a fame fan aswell...those leg warmers:eek::lol:

Another thing that makes me feel niostalgic is whenever i start knitting or crochet...my grandmother taught me...and several years ago,when i underwent major surgery and was in hospital for several weeks,i started to do it again...and it makes me feel secure,and find it so therapeutic.

As for Bing crosby,Mary Crosbys father,he sang a song called "let me call you sweetheart",and it was my grandmothers song when she used to play it on the piano,and i was about 5 years old.Im feeling very warm and fuzzy,and nostalgic now.LOL

We went to the sweet warehouse the other day to buy my wedding favours. We decided on Black Jacks & Fruit salads...they brought back sooo many memories. Penny Chews!

Andy also found Sweet Tobacco...I didn't remember this until I tasted it...very swet coconut taste...then I remembered having it as a child.

We saw so many things there like Cola Cubes, Traffic Light Lollipops, White Mice, arrow Bars etc...

Oh gosh, LOTS of things trigger nostalgia for me.

I'm sure you've all heard about my Nana, but here goes:
Humbugs (like duh, you didn't know that LOL), forest fern St-Michaels talc and body lotion for M&S (which my Nana had given me cause I played in the forest a lot and she said I always came back smelling of it. I still have a wee bit left that I save carefully, using only sparingly), very TART lemon meringue pie, trifle (which I haven't had in YEARS), minced meat tarts at xmas...... yeah, lots of stuff reminds me of my Nana. She was a special lady.

Music will trigger all sorts of memories.
"Follow Me" by Uncle Kracker which played incessantly on the radio when I was pregnant with my eldest and for the first year of her life.. It always seemed to be playing when I was in her room (where there was a clock radio) rocking her to sleep . "Follow me, everything is alright, I'll be the one to tuck you in at night" etc...

A bunch of other tunes bring me back to different days...
Bon Jovi was 'the rock star' when i was in high school. Anything bon jovi brings me back to then obviously LOL

etc etc..
list is endless.

Latest posts

Back