What makes you posh?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel none the wiser as to what this essence of poshness is. I mean are we talking Made in Chelsea posh, aristo posh? Or Middleton posh?

Are we saying money can cause poshness or is it a state to be born not to buy into.

I like Karens style, we all should be what we are and proud. I guess if you are really posh then you wouldn't know any different and probably wouldn't know about it, you probably wouldn't be on Salongeek either so we might never get to the bottom of true poshness. Anyway I can't think of anything worse than having to create an illusion of posh that would be awful.

Right off to my unposh bed :D

Remember when Naomi Campbell was introduced to Victoria Beckham ...she asked " why do they call you posh" .....Victoria cut the nose off her with the response " why do they call you beautiful" ....lol

Like it!
Not that I'm a 'Vicky' fan, but like the response.

I feel none the wiser as to what this essence of poshness is. I mean are we talking Made in Chelsea posh, aristo posh? Or Middleton posh?

Are we saying money can cause poshness or is it a state to be born not to buy into.

I like Karens style, we all should be what we are and proud. I guess if you are really posh then you wouldn't know any different and probably wouldn't know about it, you probably wouldn't be on Salongeek either so we might never get to the bottom of true poshness. Anyway I can't think of anything worse than having to create an illusion of posh that would be awful.

Right off to my unposh bed :D

Night skingeek

I have two double barreled names. I can official join the geek club for my name alone!

Doh!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's not money that makes you posh. I'm looking at Robbie Savage on TV. He's rich but he's not posh.
In my area there are some wealthy people (an ex premiership footballer lives down the road in the village) but only some look, act and talk posh. My sons friend lives in a stunning house and got a Mini with a bow on it and a personal number plate for his 18th. But his parents have built a business from nothing. They're not posh.
Maybe it's old money? Some people in my town just look more polished, wear their clothes better, look more groomed etc and buy the best. They are more like posh.
If I like you I like you whether you're posh or not.

I shop in Waitrose and one of our vehicles is a LandRover but we are most definitely not posh! I think it's hard to define because money or possessions do not automatically make you posh, the same as living on a tight budget does not make you less of a person.
Maybe it's a state of mind, or living by a certain set of standards or criteria that conform to a certain social class? Or maybe it's just like the X-Factor!

I don't mind posh people as long as posh doesn't equal 'I'm better than you'

It's not money that makes you posh. I'm looking at Robbie Savage on TV. He's rich but he's not posh.
In my area there are some wealthy people (an ex premiership footballer lives down the road in the village) but only some look, act and talk posh. My sons friend lives in a stunning house and got a Mini with a bow on it and a personal number plate for his 18th. But his parents have built a business from nothing. They're not posh.
Maybe it's old money? Some people in my town just look more polished, wear their clothes better, look more groomed etc and buy the best. They are more like posh.
If I like you I like you whether you're posh or not.

Missy, like you said, I think its old money. Your village sounds a lot like mine. They may all be rich but they're not posh. Money doesn't buy class.

Missy, like you said, I think its old money. Your village sounds a lot like mine. They may all be rich but they're not posh. Money doesn't buy class.

It certainly doesn't I am living proof of that fact hehehe

When I was a kid in an East End council estate, we referred to posh people by the way they spoke and thought they were better educated, rich and in some ways better than us.

However, these days now that I'm older and wiser and have met so many people from different walks of life, I would never use the word posh unless they really spoke with a plum in their mouth like the husband from the Posh Pissed Couple on Gogglebox.

It's just an accent and it doesn't make them any better. It's always thrown me when I've met very 'posh' people that were not at all rich and had awful manners and morals.

It's just an accent!

When I was a kid in an East End council estate, we referred to posh people by the way they spoke and thought they were better educated, rich and in some ways better than us.

However, these days now that I'm older and wiser and have met so many people from different walks of life, I would never use the word posh unless they really spoke with a plum in their mouth like the husband from the Posh Pissed Couple on Gogglebox.

It's just an accent and it doesn't make them any better. It's always thrown me when I've met very 'posh' people that were not at all rich and had awful manners and morals.

It's just an accent!

Just asked my friend for definition of posh. Anyone from south of Derby. *Giggles. She's from Leeds

I get classed as posh from where I grew up. When I was training for my level 2 hair this old woman would come in and not speak to me, until she found out where I grew up. It suddenly made me posh enough to be able to talk with her. She assumed I was from, well I don't know. She judged me straight away. And judged me again thinking I was posh. I am anything but. I am stuck up about things I will admit that. I won't shop in charity shops. Me and my boyfriend do live in the nice part of the area. Literally around the corner looks horrid. I wouldn't say I'm posh. I'm anything but!

The Oxford dictionary definition of posh is "elegant or stylishly luxurious" and/or "typical of or belonging to the upper class". So I suppose you can only be born into the upper class but you could BECOME elegant or luxurious if you came into money, ie winning the lottery - so you could become posh overnight!!!!!

The Oxford dictionary definition of posh is "elegant or stylishly luxurious" and/or "typical of or belonging to the upper class". So I suppose you can only be born into the upper class but you could BECOME elegant or luxurious if you came into money, ie winning the lottery - so you could become posh overnight!!!!!

Essentially but that would require me to become elegant and stylish...

Well I wish I was posh sometimes... Or certainly elegant and stylish! I have Champagne dreams and a lemonade budget!
I need to enter the lottery!!

Essentially but that would require me to become elegant and stylish...

It's either or, so you're probably there already without the elegance!!! Lol, living the dream eh?!!!

It's either or, so you're probably there already without the elegance!!! Lol, living the dream eh?!!!

Hahahaha yes I will pretend I am stylish

Ok now I'm on a mission. I fancy being posh for a bit. I've spent the afternoon drinking Guiness. I need to up the ante and start drinking fizz. My village pub does a cracking home made pork pie. I'll be too posh for those in future.

Ok now I'm on a mission. I fancy being posh for a bit. I've spent the afternoon drinking Guiness. I need to up the ante and start drinking fizz. My village pub does a cracking home made pork pie. I'll be too posh for those in future.

I suppose you could have the pork pie if you walked in with your wax jacket on, rifle half-cocked over your arm and your pedigree retrievers at your feet!!! That would be a hoot for sure and you'd look frightfully becoming lol!!

This thread just gets better. Except the mention of pork pies has made me want one and I can't get any pork pies at all over here. Gutted but chuckling

My husband and I aren't posh. We weren't brought up with money. But by golly we are utter snobs now! I won't let him drive down certain roads when I'm in the car because it could ruin my good mood. :wink2:

Standards are now higher. I don't look down on anyone, ever, unless they are scum, and by scum I mean living on benefits because they're lazy, robbing, drug addicts, etc.

So, because we can afford it, and not because we're posh it's private education for our girls. There will be no horse riding as it's cruel. Holidays to the south of France, because we can and we like it. No Mexico or Benidorm for us. Money can't buy class as I said before, but I like to think I had a bit of class before I had money.

Latest posts

Back