What makes you successful?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pure

Reaction score
Following on from another thread, I thought it might be nice to have a thread where those who have successful businesses can share their experiences and insights and perhaps give some tips.

I know we have lots of geeks who are doing exceptionally well whether it be in hair, beauty, nails or all 3! Also some who own salons, or work from home or mobile. Yet we also have many who are just starting out or who are struggling and would appreciate knowing your secrets :)

So what is it about your business which makes it a success? Is it something which has gradually been built? Did you have sudden turning point? What makes you stand out from the rest?

Can't believe no one has commented,

I think gel polish has been most popular in my salon also I rented a skinbase md machine which had no lay out costs but really brought in a good income for as little as £12.24 a week rent and skinbase are so reliable and helpful send all products and leaflets u need also and I get 2 week free trial to use machine as much as u want but it also charges £12.24 per treatment after the first £12.24 payment which u only pay for if u do no facials if u get me I think everyone should try it xc

Consistency in treatment quality (never taking short cuts), a good pricing structure (not undervaluing your work), keeping up to date with the latest training, a thirst for knowledge, investment in good quality equipment and products, a real love of beauty therapy, finding enjoyment in your work, your enthusiasm and knowledge about your treatments rubbing off on your clients and a positive outlook. Word of mouth makes you a success.

Last edited:
I was very softly softly. I had a home salon for many years and only rented a room because circumstances forced it. As a home salon I don't think I ever really did much training, just same old same old.

I rented in a golf club and a friend mentioned a new treatment all her friends had called shellac. I trained in shellac and really enjoyed it. While it was still just me, I took on a booking system, salon iris, and felt it really made me seem like a business. Clients really liked reminder texts etc and I started to do promos using texts. Around this time my daughter qualified as an nvq2 in beauty. We did a text promotion for her and as I sent the promo out my friend rang. We had a chat and I got off the phone and I had a message from an on/off regular wanting to book with my daughter. I suddenly thought we could go places!

I did a lot of networking at the time and met a guy who pushed and challenged me with my business. He became a mentor and helped me see the possibilities.

After alot of consideration, we moved into the small end of a barn nearly two years ago. Every penny went on growing the business and furnishing it. I got a few clients come back to me who didn't like the golf club environment. My daughters column filled up as she did her level 3.

Last May, the farmer rented the other end of the barn to a film crew for a fortnight and we realised that sharing would be tough. We either had to lease the whole premises or give notice and move.

In June this year I signed for the whole barn. It has been incredibly hard work and money has gone out hand over fist, but I have never had a bank loan. A client 'lent' me her Travis Perkins account to pay for materials. This gave me extra time to pay. I have sat wringing my hands over money more times than I care to remember.

We moved into the big end of the barn in September and our lessees moved into rent the rooms in the little end. We have complete control and all get on well.

This past weekend we have been to two local restaurants. The staff were awful and the food and atmosphere were mediocre. It made me realise that what we have that a lot of places don't have is warmth and care. We really care if our clients come back. We care if they're happy and we go out of our way to be warm and welcoming - all the time!

My advice. Don't go into this business thinking is easy, it isn't. Owning a successful business is a massive commitment. My money just gets ploughed back in for the time being and I don't have a lot to show for it. Be the very best you can be, and use the very best you can afford. Learn to retail as this can make a huge difference to your business in the lean times. I have never been as rich as I was working from home, so if you're growing your business, don't do it thinking you're going to get rich quick. The overheads are astronomical.

Having said that, our turnover has grown more than I could ever have anticipated and as we enter the new year we are going vat registered, so we're doing something right!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I totally agree with Vic that this industry isn't easy. You have to work incredibly hard and always keep one step ahead of the season, training, everything.

I have a home salon and most clients book up to 4 months in advance to get the slots they want. I always make sure every client gets the very best I can give and I never, ever keep them waiting.

In the early days when I wasn't busy I'd walk the streets delivering leaflets, giving talks...anything to get my name out there.

It may be hard work but I am rewarded with great clients, a business that can work around my life and, very importantly, a good income.

Good quality products , when starting out we is easy to think I Wanna get set up and have everything straight away - which means a lot of the time we buy cheap products or equipment - the best thing U can do is wait - earn some money and buy quality goods and equipment the difference this makes is unreal ! Results are better and more consistent clients are happier and word of mouth is the most important publicity !

Using quality product.
Knowing your product you use inside & out.
Being consistent with your work.
Abel to do a big change from the usual on a regular when asked.
Little details that tailor your work to each clients specific needs making each unique in some way.
Communication skills, explain the procedures in detail to clients, use more than 1 pic for reference, see different lighting effects on work,
In tricky situations, promise the least-average & deliver the most.

Latest posts

Back