What meaning do you take from the term 'mixing systems'

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicole333

Reaction score
I've read a lot on here about mixing systems and would like to throw it out there, to see how you all interpret this.

Personally, from reading the forums on this, I am not 100% sure myself, so this will help me too. The reasons why I am unsure are because...

1)I read advice about how to cater for Shellac clients that need extra strength by including an extra layer of building gel or other (not in the Shellac system).

2) There is a lot of work going on by you all to educate your clients on recognising what to expect from a genuine service and then some do example 1

3) I'm sure I read by a hugely respected nail geek that mixing systems only refers to uncured products. Yet, I read about not using Gelish TIO over an ACG colour.

Are the mixing systems concerns getting confused with giving the client a complete service using the whole system? Did that even make sense?! What I mean is, we all know how hectic and unprofessional it would look if our service was made up of a pic n mix products, so my question is not geared toward this side of things.

I would like to educate myself and know exactly what is meant by not mixing systems and why.

The shellac video that was posted a few days ago was really interesting as it explained the science behind why it's different and why it needs to stand alone. So this is not an issue to me apart from not understanding why the situation in example 1 is ok to do.

I look forward to hearing how you interpret this term regarding the science and I hope to gain a full understanding myself as the discussion progresses.

I think there are a number of different concerns regarding mixing systems - firstly mixing products that may well react to one another and cause e.g. allergic reaction - such as using monomer from brand A and polymer from brand B. Another mix would be curing product A from lamp brand B - again both examples would have concerns regarding damage to client from overexposure/allergic reaction to uncured products.

The other risk of 'mixing' would be service breakdown or not offering the client the branded service. This could be for example using top and base coat from one system that is your favourite (whatever reason) and a colour from another as it's the client choice. While it may work (eve IF we could guarantee no allergic reaction) we can no longer guarantee the service won't break down or will wear according to manufacturer's instructions. I think when a company has gone so far to promote their brand/product it undermines them and other techs to compromise the service. IF a client had service breakdown there would be no way of knowing where the blame lies (client/product/tech).

I wouldn't even wish to make a claim on insurance if I had done anything like mix brands in a service.

I know it sounds very rigid but in order to protect myself, my service and the brand I am shouting about all over my website, I would stick to the manufacturer's instructions. That's how I interpret mixing :)

Applying an overlay underneath Shellac or gel polish doesn't count as mixing as the overlay is fully cured prior to the hybrid product. Anything we can put on our natural nails, we can put on an enhancement, and it would probably last a bit longer like how nail polish lasts longer on enhancements versus natural nail (no base coat is needed when placing over enhancement as it bonds just fine without). The way I explain to my clients who need the added strength (mostly new ex-enhancement clients) is that their nails in their current state is unsuitable for the product, alone. If they're really set on having that particular service, I can give their nails a little overlay for added strength so they don't run into the expected problem ( chipping, peeling, lifting) if they were just to wear the product alone. And this would only be til the damaged bits grow out. If they don't want the overlay, I just make note of that and proceed with what they want. :)

As for the rest of how I interpret mixing, PixieBeauty pretty much nailed it. Mixing, to me at least, is not using products and equipment the way they were intended to be use, thus compromising your's or the client's health, the service, your reputation, ect.

I think there are a number of different concerns regarding mixing systems - firstly mixing products that may well react to one another and cause e.g. allergic reaction - such as using monomer from brand A and polymer from brand B. Another mix would be curing product A from lamp brand B - again both examples would have concerns regarding damage to client from overexposure/allergic reaction to uncured products.

With regards to mixing uncured products and also risking an inproper cure by not using the correct lamp, this has always been pretty clear to me.

But, the side that isnt is the cured products subject. For example when a manufacturer/distributor says yes, you can use this top coat with this colour coat (TIO and ACG) as NH have done, and then others comment that it is 'mixing systems' and it's risky.

Add to that the the well respected nail geek that commented before, that mixing is referring to uncured products, I am left wondering whether the whole mixing issue within the cured products example is more about not portraying a professional image, by not offering the whole branded service.

This leaves me with doubts that I fully understand exactly what people mean when they refer to the risks of mixing.

Thanks so far for your replies. :biggrin:

Applying an overlay underneath Shellac or gel polish doesn't count as mixing as the overlay is fully cured prior to the hybrid product. Anything we can put on our natural nails, we can put on an enhancement, and it would probably last a bit longer like how nail polish lasts longer on enhancements versus natural nail (no base coat is needed when placing over enhancement as it bonds just fine without). :)

Thank you Chickafish, I like how you explain things so simply and make it make sense. :biggrin:

I've just watched the Shellac science video again. If you are not using the base coat and going straight in with colour coat over an enhancement, how is the Shellac going to 'lock together' by the blocks demonstrated in the video?

I hope nobody thinks I'm being provocative, as that is not my intention at all. I really want to hear all your views on this to help me understand properly. There's been 131 views and only two replies so far!

Thank you Chickafish, I like how you explain things so simply and make it make sense. :biggrin:

I've just watched the Shellac science video again. If you are not using the base coat and going straight in with colour coat over an enhancement, how is the Shellac going to 'lock together' by the blocks demonstrated in the video?

I hope nobody thinks I'm being provocative, as that is not my intention at all. I really want to hear all your views on this to help me understand properly. There's been 131 views and only two replies so far!

It's a good question, and it's good you ask questions when you're unsure. My guess would be it bonds the same way anything else bonds on enhancements. When we apply things to our natural nail, we have to cleanse, dehydrate, ect to remove debris and oil to get products to adhere to them. With these hybrid products, I'm guessing the base is the chain link that keeps the color coat to the natural nail. With enhancements, I would picture it as the enhancement being a link as well since its already porous, but without the natural oils like natural nails. I'm just comparing it to how it is with regular nail polish, cuz we also don't need any base coat when applying nail polish to enhancements. Again, this is just how I'm picturing it. If I'm wrong, I'm more than happy to be corrected.

Thanks Chickafish, again another well explained scenario. I hope it is the case, as I fully understood everything you said and it made sense! :biggrin:

I'll flip through Doug Schoon's book when I get home and get back to you if I find anything related to this! :lol:

That would be good! I'm getting mine shortly, then I'll have the trio. :biggrin:

Great question nicole :) chickafish you explained that so clearly. Thats how i understood it but always great to have it clarified for my own peace of mind :)

sorry guys cant heart or rep as on app :) x x x

Latest posts

Back