What might be happening here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a regular client who has some white marks appearing on several of her nails and is slightly concerning me as to what is going on. When she first ever came to me, she had some of these marks on just her pinky and ring finger nails. She used to go elsewhere for shellac before finding me.

Over the first few times of coming her nails really improved and the marks began to fade. She uses solar oil twice a day. Her nails are mega strong and were starting to look really lovely.

Last night when I removed her shellac her nails were like this in the attached pictures. She's recently returned from Egypt a few weeks ago and got a nasty bug. Could ill health have caused this? They were looking so lovely it was quite a shock to see this underneath last night. Any thoughts very welcome. It can't be dehydration as she uses her oil and isn't damage from me "scraping" as a) I don't do that and b) as said above they were looking really lovely before she went to Egypt. Whether that's just coincidence I don't know but I'm very puzzled.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1377162921755.jpg
    1377162921755.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 838
  • 1377162936990.jpg
    1377162936990.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 827
Hmmm, I'm a bit stumped with this one myself. I would usually suspect dehydration or onycholisis, but her nails are clearly in good condition and well hydrated and surely it would need to be right up to the free edge to be onycholisis.

Is it possible that she has just knocked them?

Hi planky I can't see properly as I'm on my phone, try rubbing solar oil into the affected area. If it's simple dehydration which could have been exacerbated by the holiday.. Ie in the sea, sunning etc. The oil will soak right in and themsrks dissapear if that's the case.
If it's damage done by for example hitting her nails then the oil will have no effect and that damage will have to grow out.

Looks like she's knocked them.

It looks like she's been picking?

I asked if she's knocked them at all and she says not. And no, she doesn't pick. Ring finger on first photo is damage from where it peeled off after getting caught in her hair from where some of it had lifted but she is very good and always comes back with nails all still in tact usually. This is the first time any shellac has come off. And I can tell she's using her oil like she says she is as the Shellac comes off beautifully and also she purchases it regularly.

I was wondering if there might be something she's lacking in health wise and it's affecting her nails?

So Rinn, you're suggesting I rub the oil in after removal and leave for a few minutes before scrubfresh? Xx

Yes Clare, you'll see straight away if the marks go, it's just a bit of dehydration. She could have hit them and not realised, I often get bruises and don't know how they happened. Iykwim.
Doug Schoon says that white spots caused by mineral deficiency is a myth. There's a link on here somewhere about that.

Doug Schoon says that white spots caused by mineral deficiency is a myth.

Mr Schoon usually knows what he's talking about!

Looks like Leukonychia to me.

Looks like Leukonychia to me.

This is what I was thinking which was why I was saying about it maybe being a health issue as I know Leukonychia can be caused by zinc deficiency and/or stress and she has been under a lot of stress lately.

Should I maybe advise we remove her shellac at her next appointment and leave them for a while so she can perhaps get seen by her GP? I did ask if she takes any multivitamins or anything and she doesn't but as we're not gp's and mustn't give advice I obviously didn't say any more but just said I'd investigate and ask my nail gurus if they might have any ideas as to what is going on ;)

Don't think this is really any help at all, but first pic hands look ok, but second on my phone the surrounding skin around her nails looks rather swollen, a bit inflamed.

I've read in Nails magazine (I can't find this article now) that white spots might indicate some illness going on elswhere in the body so I would suggest a client to see a GP, just in case. Not sure that oil would get rid of them completely, it probably has to grow out but she wears shellac on regular basis so spots will be covered anyway. I would remove Shellac just before her appointment and put it back on just after.

I've read in Nails magazine (I can't find this article now) that white spots might indicate some illness going on elswhere in the body so I would suggest a client to see a GP, just in case. Not sure that oil would get rid of them completely, it probably has to grow out but she wears shellac on regular basis so spots will be covered anyway. I would remove Shellac just before her appointment and put it back on just after.

I would want to go to my GP to be on the safe side!

Leukonychia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Don't think this is really any help at all, but first pic hands look ok, but second on my phone the surrounding skin around her nails looks rather swollen, a bit inflamed.

Might just be how it looks on your phone, she has no swelling or anything xx

Ok, well I think I'll say to her again about getting them checked out by GP just to make sure, as Leukonychia was my initial thought too so would be best she sees a GP I think. Many thanks all of you for your replies :hug:

I don't have a clue about nails, but when I was younger I was told that the white was due to lack of calcium ? Could be completely wrong but thats what I was told when I had white marks on mine

I think seeing as there is no sign of infection or obvious trauma, I would just keep an eye on it. If after a period of time and it hadn't improved or had got worse then I would suggest a visit to the gp.

After doing a manicure course last week I was told it was due to nail damage. I am a total novice at the mo though!

Has she been taking more water on board? During this heat and especially in a hot dry country our bodies dehydrate more, in this weather we need to take on an extra litre of water on top of the usual 2 ltrs a day.
Some clients dehydrate more and the bodies water stores will be going to provide support for more important organs other than our nails.
Up the solar oil application and advise her to up er water/fluid intake too. Not tea as tea is a natural diuretic.
Jen xxx

Has she been taking more water on board? During this heat and especially in a hot dry country our bodies dehydrate more, in this weather we need to take on an extra litre of water on top of the usual 2 ltrs a day.
Some clients dehydrate more and the bodies water stores will be going to provide support for more important organs other than our nails.
Up the solar oil application and advise her to up er water/fluid intake too. Not tea as tea is a natural diuretic.
Jen xxx

I will let her know to do that. Thanks Jen xx

Latest posts

Back