What might be happening here?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading replies & looking again I'm still thinking dehydration. Surely that's too many fingers to be affected from a knock/trauma.
What did u do anyway? Did u reapply new shellac?

After reading replies & looking again I'm still thinking dehydration. Surely that's too many fingers to be affected from a knock/trauma.
What did u do anyway? Did u reapply new shellac?

Yes she has Shellac on again. Will give her the advice to hydrate more and keep an eye on them. If they get worse we shall remove and refer to gp.

Thanks everyone :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Sounds like a plan :)

As Doug says, white spots due to calcium or zinc deficiency is a myth. If there is such a deficiency there would be other symptoms (not just white spots) and they would be on all nails not just a few, if at all.

Looks like trauma to me. Be super careful in removal and all the other advice is good. Dehydration due to the summer wouldn't show up in nails immediately and, again, its a systemic issue so there would be other symptoms.

I second dehydration.
My client went like this, and she admitted that she didn't use solar oil. Uses solar oil and now fine.
Sometimes r clients do tell us white lies x

Yes she has Shellac on again. Will give her the advice to hydrate more and keep an eye on them. If they get worse we shall remove and refer to gp.

Thanks everyone :)

Would you really go to a GP just for those tiny marks though? Seems very trivial to bother a GP with. Perhaps asking a pharmacist might be a better first point of call?

This is not leukonychia ... it is not a mineral deficiency ... it isn't onycholysis .... it is simple temporary surface dehydration. There is no need to see a GP about it!

Temporary surface dehydration can and will happen with the constant wearing of any nail overlay material (minx, gel, L&P, fibre wraps, gel polishes and even normal polish). Rough removal, picking, anything that disturbs the surface will also cause damage. ... surface dehydration will also occur when clients get a bit slap dash about using their Solar Oil. It is what I call the trade-off, or the dues we all pay for having our nails perfect all the time, just as dry hair is the trade-off or having it bleached and dry skin the trade-off for using shower gels every day. You want to do all these things? Then there are going to be consequences.

It's not life threatening it even disappears when the product is reapplied only to reappear when it is removed. My guess is that no matter what she says, she has not been religiously using her Solar Oil.

Last edited:
Would you really go to a GP just for those tiny marks though? Seems very trivial to bother a GP with. Perhaps asking a pharmacist might be a better first point of call?

If in doubt and all that ;) She had been so poorly in Egypt she may have something going on that needs attention and the nails are showing it perhaps. I had e- coli once and didn't know until I got very unwell. My skin, hair and nails were shockingly bad during that time. We aren't doctors so referring to one might not always be trivial when perhaps it might seem so. I don't think pharmacists are a point of call for that type of thing.

This is not leukonychia it is not a mineral deficiency it isn't onycholysis it is simple surface dehydration. There is no need to see a GP about it! This can happen with the constant wearing of any nail overlay material (minx, gel, L &P, wraps gel polishes even normal polish). rough removal, picking, anything that disturbs up the surface. ...it can also happen when clients get a bit slap dash about using their Solar Oil. It is what I call the trade-off for having your nails perfect all the time like dry hair is the trade off or having it bleached.

It's not life threatening it even disappears when the product is reapplied only to reappear when it is removed. My guess is that no matter what she says, she has not been religiously using her Solar Oil.

I will get her to increase oil and see how they get on xx

If in doubt and all that ;) She had been so poorly in Egypt she may have something going on that needs attention and the nails are showing it perhaps. I had e- coli once and didn't know until I got very unwell. My skin, hair and nails were shockingly bad during that time. We aren't doctors so referring to one might not always be trivial when perhaps it might seem so. I don't think pharmacists are a point of call for that type of thing.

Hmm well Geeg has also said that its not something to bother a GP with. Plus we are not doctors so we don't "refer" people to them. I'm sorry but it just gets my goat when people clog up gp's waiting rooms with trivial things like this. It's not an illness it's a bit of dehydration from wearing nail coatings!

Hmm well Geeg has also said that its not something to bother a GP with. Plus we are not doctors so we don't "refer" people to them. I'm sorry but it just gets my goat when people clog up gp's waiting rooms with trivial things like this. It's not an illness it's a bit of dehydration from wearing nail coatings!

And I have listened to Gigi's helpful advice as well as everyone else's. Flippant remarks like the above are unnecessary and not very helpful.
If I was certain of what the problem was and was something that wasn't concerning me, I wouldn't have started a thread asking for advice. I thought it "may" have been leukonychia, I thought there "may" have been more to it seeing as she HAD contracted an illness abroad and this can "sometimes" be apparent in our nails. Indeed there have been cases in the past of illnesses being picked up by what was happening with the nails. In fact I have had a client previously where exactly that has happened.

In this instance the more experienced geeks have advised that they feel this isn't the case and that was why I asked here, knowing that those with more experience would comment and advise.

Thank you again to those who have given constructive advice, I can now inform my client on how to improve their condition.

I have always had these in my nails, from I was no age. They grow out with the nail. Some people say it's lack of zinc or damage to the matrix but I have had these long before I started to wear nail polish/gel/acrylic etc. I don't know what the truth is but I haven't found anything that clears them up.

I have a client that just started coming to me an her nails have white marks like this but much worse she said to me she has problems since having meningitis a couple of years ago and is always anaemic which causes the white marks on her nails xx

Hi
I had this on my toe nails about 18 months ago, it did grow out, with no adverse reaction left. I wasn't using shellac at the time, but was quite stressed and do suffer from Chrons disease (which does have an impact on my mineral and vitamin levels).
Just thought I'd let you know from my experience if any help at all:) xx

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek app

When I took on a new client and I removed her Shellac, which was applied by another Salon, her nails were like this but slightly worse. After asking a few questions it seems that she was never told about, given or offered to purchase solar oil. I gave her some solar oil and asked her to apply it three times a day. I booked her back in 5 days later and her nails were fab so I applied Shellac. 7 months later and her nails are still fab and she has shellac every two weeks without fail. So I would def say its dehydration. Gotta love Solar Oil :)

I have this on my nails,
It's dehydration. I've stopped wearing extensions and started shellac and every 2 weeks I take my shellac off at night, leather my hands in solar oil and clarins hand cream and sleep with cotton gloves and keep applying so the next day and stop at lunch time then reapply in the evening, by then they are nearly gone :) x

Latest posts

Back