What more can I do for my client's nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I'm a bit stumped on where to go with one of my clients. She has been coming to me for the past 5/6 months for Shellac and Brisa Lite Smoothing Gel.
Her nail condition isn't great, nails are ridged, dry and weak.
First few times of wearing shellac and brisa lite, her nails lasted not too bad. She had a few little chips in a couple but wasn't using her oil so we put it down to that.

The last few times she has come to me, she has had nails where the Shellac has completely come off. I asked all the usual questions about chemicals being used/washing up with no gloves etc and we decided that perhaps it was these things that were to blame. She had started using her oil, which I could tell she had been as the nails that we still soaked off, removed much more easily than they did previously.

She called me last week to ask for a repair appointment as she had lost one nail again. By the time she arrived 2 days later, another 6 had come off. She brought a few of them in an envelope to show me and this is them in the attached picture, right enough, off in one whole piece.

She said they were just literally falling off. One of them even came off when she was serving dinner :eek: I explained that there had to be something she was using/doing as they don't just fall off but she assures me she has been much better behaved sticking to her aftercare and definitely didn't pick or peel them off.

In 2 years of being a Shellac technician I have never had anyone where this has happened ever. In fact all my clients get great results from their manicure, including an improved nail condition in some.

We have tried using just shellac and no gel underneath, we have tried scrubfreshing one hand, base coat and in to cure then doing the next hand. We have tried nailfresh then scrubfresh. We have tried just nailfresh. My coats are always nice and thin, my bulbs are relatively new and are clean. She's using her oil and has been applying at least 3/4 times a day and is now wearing gloves when cleaning etc. The nail pieces are from both hands not just one.

What can I do for her? I'm a natural nail tech so I can't do L&P or hard gel but she wouldn't have these anyway as she doesn't want any "damage" to her already not great nails, which was why she was excited by shellac and brisa lite.

I do have some BL sculpting gel but haven't had the training in how to use it as yet.

Is it just a case that shellac clearly doesn't work for her or should I get her in for regular manicures without polish to try and build up the strength in her nails perhaps? Or are we fighting a losing battle?

She's such a lovely lady and is really upset that shellac isn't lasting on her. She said her nails had never looked so beautiful as they do with shellac. Both her daughter and friend come to me too and both last 3/4 weeks so she's feeling fed up that hers doesn't last the same (and I'm frustrated that I can't help her too at the moment)

Any ideas or advice on what I can do for her would be greatly received as I'd love to help her get the nails she so desperately wants.

Many thanks xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1378060747776.jpg
    1378060747776.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 501
how old is your client? is she on any medication or any medical conditions?

how old is your client? is she on any medication or any medical conditions?

She's 63 (not that she looks it!) On no medication and no medical conditions. Very fit and healthy

is she having problems with skin being particularly dry? I have found that a cou[ple of my clients who are in their 70s go through phases where there skin is particulary dry and at the same time there shellac doesnt last very well. AS you know we lose moisture from our skin as we get older and although you say she has been using solar oil 3-4 days a day it just may not be enough( i know its a miracle in a bottle but some just need a little extra tlc) so i would suggest you retail them some cuticle eraser for a moisture pack or extra rich handcream.

If that doesnt work then i would suggest letting her have a break from shellac and having regular manicures and then trying again. As you say though aswell it could just be that shellac isnt for her, although it suits the majority there is the occasional person that it doesnt. I have one client in particular that it just comes straight off of BUT that is with anything on her nails not just shellac.

hth xx

No her skin seems fine. Ok, I'll suggest we just do some regular mani's for a while to try and get them in better condition then we'll give it another whirl. It may well be it's just not suitable for her but at least we'll have done all we can to try. Feel so frustrated for her..

Could you do an overlay with your brisa sculpting gel? Like you would use the smoothing? ( I haven't used so not sure if this is possible?) my auntie has lots of ridges never keeps anything on her hands- think she gets a little lifting then picks/ peels. Maybe the brisa sculpting may last longer?? Good luck frustrating for you I'm sure

The fact that other clients nails are lasting 3/4 weeks suggests that its nothing you are doing. The first thing that popped into my head was is she pregnant as I had this happen when a client was pregnant. Then I read she is 63. Is she maybe going through the change. Maybe try regular manicures to rehydrate the nails. As you are using shellac maybe try her with vinylux. Hope you get to the bottom of it as its really frustrating when it happens. Like I said I had a client it was happening to & it wasn't until about 6 weeks of trying to solve it she said could it be because I'm pregnant lol.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

its funny you should mention this, it sounds exactly like my friend ! I started doing her nails after her acrylics were removed, I started using BL smoothing gel and shellac because they were weak after the acrylic, so it was all going fine and lasting 2 weeks, I also gave her solar oil to use, she started using it 3-4 times a day and being good, - she's also a nail tech but hasn't been doing it for the last 6 months or so as she works full time now so she knows how to look after her nails, but the last couple of weeks shellac is peeling off in a day or two !! its frustrating !! is there such a thing as using solar oil too much ? I wouldn't have thought so though. on the plus side her nails are growing longer and stronger lol, hmmm better check to see if she's pregnant haha

Last edited:
Right now with her nail condition I'd say she's the perfect candidate for almond spa manicures instead of shellac. Get her nail healthy and deeply hydrated so that the shellac can stand up better :)

I did think about the BL sculpting as a NNO but because I haven't been trained in how to use this product yet, I'm not sure how to apply it properly as an overlay.

I think the task of getting her nails into a good condition and then trying again later down the line might be the best option at the moment. Many thanks for everyone's replies, I'll look into the best products to use on her and we'll get cracking :)

Could she have had her hands in excessive amounts of water before she had her manicure done? Like doing all the washing up or something just before she cones to you?

Weird.

Planky does she do a lot of cleaning? Perhaps if she does and she has rubber gloves on while doing it this could be causing the problem. I had a retired lady with the same problem who we eventually discovered was wearing rubber gloves for everything but because she had a lot if time on her hands she was alway in rubber gloves cleaning which then caused her hands to sweat which we think in turn caused the Brisa light to pop off. She cut down on the rubber glove use and the problem seems to have gone

Could she have had her hands in excessive amounts of water before she had her manicure done? Like doing all the washing up or something just before she cones to you?

Weird.

I asked her this Gigi but she says not and they would fall off at different times. She found one in her bed after waking up one morning and then another fell off as she was serving dinner :eek: It is very weird as with her nails being so dry, I would have expected the gel and shellac to cling on as it usually does on those who don't use their oil. It's like she started using the solar oil and then we started getting the problems with them literally falling off. Very odd.

Planky does she do a lot of cleaning? Perhaps if she does and she has rubber gloves on while doing it this could be causing the problem. I had a retired lady with the same problem who we eventually discovered was wearing rubber gloves for everything but because she had a lot if time on her hands she was alway in rubber gloves cleaning which then caused her hands to sweat which we think in turn caused the Brisa light to pop off. She cut down on the rubber glove use and the problem seems to have gone

She does do a bit of cleaning but not excessively. She was doing it both with and without gloves as we had discussed that perhaps one of the chemicals was causing them to lift. But it still happened even when she did wear gloves. It's all very baffling and frustrating. I don't like being beaten ;) Lol xx

It's like she started using the solar oil and then we started getting the problems with them literally falling off. Very odd.

yes thats what happened to my friend and I am absolutely baffled !!

I think the hydrating manis could be the answer as suggested.

Not everyone is suited to a specific product. When I had a salon I used to find that, for no understandable reason, a client would suddenly not suit what she had worn for ages.

If extra strength is needed for the nails I am still in favour of an old fashioned method of using a resin and activator for an NNO. But if she can manage with some regular manis I'd try that for a few weeks then try Shellac again.

I think the hydrating manis could be the answer as suggested.

Not everyone is suited to a specific product. When I had a salon I used to find that, for no understandable reason, a client would suddenly not suit what she had worn for ages.

If extra strength is needed for the nails I am still in favour of an old fashioned method of using a resin and activator for an NNO. But if she can manage with some regular manis I'd try that for a few weeks then try Shellac again.

Thank you so much Marian for taking the time to reply. I will give those things a try :)

Latest posts

Back