What MPV would you recommend?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hope

Reaction score
We bought a VW Sharran nearly 4 years ago (second hand), and we haven't had any luck with it at all.

This month it has got to go.

Now I know that you never really know what you are getting from a second hand car, but who has bought an MPV and found it to be reliable?

It needs to be a BIG one, we have been looking at the Chrysler Grand Voyager and the Toyota Previa. Does anyone have one of these?

Thanks All xx

My friends have a Previa as they have 5 girls its excellent..very reliable and lovely inside.

We got a Range Rover but a Chrysler was definitely a choice of mine, I think they're lovely!!

Teri x:hug:

Thank you both xx

As Teri says I have heard that Chryslers are brill although never actually owned one.

However, Our first MPV was a Renault Scenic Megane 1.6 litres. Did us proud with several long trips. But only having seating for 5 we converted to a Scenic Grand 2 liters which has more boot space and an opional 2 extra seats which you just fold down when you are not using them.

We never buy brand new cars as they devalue massivly the minute you drive them off the showroom floor. However, if you can afford it, we always buy a demo or staff car (about a year old) from a main dealer as the cars are under warranty. This way they are cheaper than brand new but as good as new.

I personally shy away from private buys as you don't know what you are getting and you have no comeback if the vehicle is later faulty. A main dealer like Renault will usually trade with your current car.

Good Luck!

Hi

We have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 03 plate and have had it since it was 6 months old. We regularly drive down through France and fill up with wine etc. as we have family there. Its great for the kids, they dont end up squashed in, and if you change the seat config. you can get everything in. Only prob is that the seats are heavy and awkward to change about, but if you get a stow and go version (wasnt out when we got ours) you realy do get the versitility. Other down side is that the main dealer servicing is very expensive - so try to find someone else when waranty has expired. Ours has now done about 80K and no major probs.

Hi

We have a Chrysler Grand Voyager 03 plate and have had it since it was 6 months old. We regularly drive down through France and fill up with wine etc. as we have family there. Its great for the kids, they dont end up squashed in, and if you change the seat config. you can get everything in. Only prob is that the seats are heavy and awkward to change about, but if you get a stow and go version (wasnt out when we got ours) you realy do get the versitility. Other down side is that the main dealer servicing is very expensive - so try to find someone else when waranty has expired. Ours has now done about 80K and no major probs.

Thank you for that, that is just what I wanted to hear :hug:

Do you know which model/engine you have please

We have the 2.5 CRD LX with privacy glass and leather seats (makes a big difference whenthe kids eat etc. in the car), and my husband has also had reversing sensors put on as its a big car and not great vision if reversing in tight spaces.

Hi,

I have a "smaller" or so people think mpv. My car is a "02" Fiat Multipla.

My boys are 16, 12, 10 and 7 and I also have a 6'3" husband. When we bought this we had so far tried out a ford galaxy and a vauxhaul zafira (both as rentals) and were actually looking at buying a renault espace or a voyager.
What won us over was the fact it has 6 adult seats, 3 in the front and 3 in the back and more boot space than the other cars we had tried or looked at. A lot of people we know have discarded this car as a choice but are now totally shocked at how comfortable and roomy it is and how much we can actually get in it. I have actually had a full bathroom suite in the car!
We have now had this car for almost 18 months and we have not had a single problem with it, in fact the only problem I have with it is the fact it has a cassette player not a cd player.

I dread the day we have to sell it, as we are (hopefully ) emigrating to Oz and they don't sell them out there so I won't get another one. :cry:

Helen

I'm watching this thread with interest as we will be getting a bigger car soon. We're looking at the Kia 7seater, anyone got one of those? Thanks for all the useful info everyone.

Hi,

I have a "smaller" or so people think mpv. My car is a "02" Fiat Multipla.

My boys are 16, 12, 10 and 7 and I also have a 6'3" husband. When we bought this we had so far tried out a ford galaxy and a vauxhaul zafira (both as rentals) and were actually looking at buying a renault espace or a voyager.
What won us over was the fact it has 6 adult seats, 3 in the front and 3 in the back and more boot space than the other cars we had tried or looked at. A lot of people we know have discarded this car as a choice but are now totally shocked at how comfortable and roomy it is and how much we can actually get in it. I have actually had a full bathroom suite in the car!
We have now had this car for almost 18 months and we have not had a single problem with it, in fact the only problem I have with it is the fact it has a cassette player not a cd player.

I dread the day we have to sell it, as we are (hopefully ) emigrating to Oz and they don't sell them out there so I won't get another one. :cry:

Helen

Thank you for the info :hug:

There will be 7 of us soon though, so we need at least a 7 seater

I have a ford galaxy and have been really happy with it. Its got lots of space and is comfortable.

We have a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6. Bought it brand new just over a year ago and I love it! Even I can move the seats around, it fits our 6 children in it with all the seats up. with normal seating the boot is huge and easily fits my treatment couch, cases and pushchair!! And with all the rear seats down it's the size of a van! Not had any trouble with it at all, fairly economic on fuel and the after service from Vauxhall has been great.

HTH :hug:

We have a Vauxhall Zafira 1.6. Bought it brand new just over a year ago and I love it! Even I can move the seats around, it fits our 6 children in it with all the seats up. with normal seating the boot is huge and easily fits my treatment couch, cases and pushchair!! And with all the rear seats down it's the size of a van! Not had any trouble with it at all, fairly economic on fuel and the after service from Vauxhall has been great.

HTH :hug:

Can I ask, when you have all of the seats in, is there much of a boot left?

We need to have at least 7 seats, and a boot large enough to fit pushchair, travelcot, suitcase in.

Thanks xx

We had an imported Toyota Estima, I loved it, sooo easy to drive, so much room, only 2 downsides, it means you are ALWAYS the taxi service when going out with friends, and it drinks fuel, we only got around 23 to the gallon.
Ours died last week, and a new engine would have cost 2 grand, not worth it when you can get a good one on ebay for less than that.!
I would advise getting parking sensors as they are very long, very easy to manoevre but hard to see the back.:lol:

We need to have at least 7 seats, and a boot large enough to fit pushchair, travelcot, suitcase in.

Thanks xx

Not really. When all 7 seats are up we can get the pushchair in and a cuple of bags but we wouldn't fit a case or much else in. :irked:

Thanks xx

Have you looked at the Grand Espace by Renault, I've been on the phone to them today. I currently have a (full) Scenic mini MPV. It has 5 seats but a huge boot, I got a massive traditional pram in it when Hughie was little. I want a similar sized boot but 7 seats now, just like you (but I won't be filling them all). They recommended the Grand Espace. It has about 10 inches extra boot space than the standard Espace MPV. Or as the kids get older, you can push back all the seats and use it for extra leg room.
My other (rather cheeky) option is calling my Dad for you, he works for the mayor of London, in London Transport engineering. They're selling off all the old Routemaster buses. Maybe one of those would do.:lol: :hug:

You'll need a double decker soon Rach :wink2: xx

You'll need a double decker soon Rach :wink2: xx
That's what I just said Becki. Route masters are the really old fashioned London Buses where you just jump on the back. One of my dad's friend has bought 2 of them. They'd be great for "Summer Holidays" a la Cliff Richards.:lol:

:green: I am too young to get that :lol:

Latest posts

Back