What nail training next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becca@PolishedToPerfection

Reaction score
I've just done a manicure and pedicure course, done 4 nail art courses and am halfway through the acrylic course. What should i do next? I really really want to do facials but think i need to concentrate on nails so its either gelish or stocking up on more acrylic stock, what would you say is best? Thank you! X

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Oh and i also want to invest in doing paraffin wax and callus peel x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Good question, but difficult to answer!

Where do you work ie are you mobile, renting a room, own your own salon?
Whats your local area like? young and vibrant, rural, etc?
Who are your clients? Young, middle aged, mums, professionals?
What are your local competitors offering?

Have you considered compiling a survey and asking your clients to complete it? You could enter them into a prize draw for a free treatment for completing it, and could list some treatments and ask the client which of those treatments they would consider having by number ie 1 for extremely likely to have, down to 5 for extremely unlikely to have. You could use the opportunity to ask other marketing questions too.

If you are new to nails I would stick with nails for now. There's nothing wrong with offering a variety of treatments in the long run, but nails is probably the most difficult skill to master, specifically enhancements. there as thousands of nail techs out there some of whom are offering ridiculous prices, but many of them are at best "average" at what they do. If you develop your nail skills and become and excellent nail tech who offers a first class service you will be offering something that the majority of techs out there dont, you'll never stop learning and developing, but when you've reached the point that you feel that doing nails has "clicked" for you, I think that would be a good time to move on to other skills. Mind you, even as I'm typing this the words "spray tan" are coming to mind because its profitable, quick and easy to learn, and popular, learning to spray tan wouldnt divert you from concentrating on your nail skills, so if you're keen to add another service, maybe that?

My last bit of advice would be to think about why people have certain treatments, this is another factor that may help you to decide. Personally I have decided to focus on repeat treatments, ie those that require some maintenance or that the client feels that she needs to have regularly, as opposed to those which clients are more likely to have as an occasional treat such as a massage or facial. I'm not saying this is right or wrong, it's just how I've decided on what treatments I intend to offer.

Well i'm moving to a different town in July so i'll be setting up a treatment room from home so don't have any clients as yet, its not a very big town and in the area i'm moving to there's a mixture of ages but mostly 40+ i'd say. I thought about putting a survery on my website but not many people have looked and i'm not sure how to make sure it comes up on google! I have thought about spray tans as like you said it does go well with nails but the start up costs are a bit out of my budget for now and it doesn't excite me too much so i don't think my heart would be in it, i want something that i love doing. My thoughts are to stick with natural nails for now (gelish, paraffin wax and callus peel) and once i've perfected that move onto acrylic and then think about doing something else. Thank you for your advice :) x

Has anyone else got any suggestions? :) x

Latest posts

Back