What new procedures following Covid-19?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lillypie

Reaction score
What new procedures if any will you be introducing when we return to the salon?
Will you use masks ? Appointments only ? Reduced bookings ?
Would love to hear your ideas.

An interesting thread and I’ve been pondering on this, as no doubt lots of us have. About a third to half of my client base is elderly (over 60) and I’m concerned that they are going to be cautious about going completely back to “normal” so will definitely be offering masks to anyone (in any age group) who would like them. I’m by appointment only anyway, and I will certainly be cleaning thoroughly between clients and cleaning doorknobs and anything they come into contact with, between each client. I work from home so there’s only ever the two of us at any one time. I will probably wear gloves too.

I get peed off anyway when clients turn up with colds and coughs esp for a nail appt when you literally sit a foot away from each other and can’t avoid being breathed on. It’s bad manners and inconsiderate at the best of times. But when we start back, I’m going to add a paragraph to my Facebook page and to my reminder texts not to turn up poorly or they’ll be going home again. Not sure of my wording yet obv lol

One of the things we’ve learned about this virus is how highly contagious it is and that there are lots of asymptomatic carriers of the virus. They have the virus but suffer no obvious symptoms and they are passing it onto everyone they come into contact with.

Therefore, I think as a therapist, it would be sensible for you to wear a mask as well as gloves in the short term at least.

Yes we are just putting together all new procedures at the moment and I definitely think masks for now at least .
Scheduling will also have to change with extra time for sanitation.
Going to take some planning I think.

I work from home on appointments and usually only just myself and the client. My family don’t interact with my clients and I wear gloves for most treatments. I could wear them fir every treatment. Masks fir every client will be very expensive. Have you seen what the suppliers are charging fir them? I ordered a box of 50 fir my dad at £22 and a box of 50 for myself at £21. You’d get through a lot of masks. I think I may tell clients when they book that if they prefer to wear a mask to bring their own as sourcing is proving difficult and fir those clients who prefer to wear them I will do like wise but I can’t see it being practically or financial viable long term. I do think we will struggle to get masks. It took nearly 3 weeks fir mine to arrive too.

One of the things we’ve learned about this virus is how highly contagious it is and that there are lots of asymptomatic carriers of the virus. They have the virus but suffer no obvious symptoms and they are passing it onto everyone they come into contact with.

Therefore, I think as a therapist, it would be sensible for you to wear a mask as well as gloves in the short term at least.

How do they know there are people with no symptoms carrying the virus when they were only testing those who had symptoms?

I can’t see ya returning before June/July though.

How do they know there are people with no symptoms carrying the virus when they were only testing those who had symptoms?

Thankfully, other countries are not following the UK’s lead when it comes to testing or treating the virus.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
If you look at the link and the column on the right hand side, it shows you how many tests per million of the population a country has been doing. Ireland for instance, has a tenth the population of the U.K. at less than 6 million people, but are testing almost 4 times as many people as the U.K. are testing. If you have symptoms, you can contact your GP and be referred for testing. A lot of Irish test samples are being flown to Germany for analysis to speed up the process.

Therefore, the U.K‘s current number of total cases is likely to be significantly higher than the figures in the left hand column show simply because they’re not testing as many people.

I’m reluctant to spend money at the moment, but realistically when we are allowed to reopen, we won’t be straight back to normal working, it will be like just before shut down when we were all feeling anxious and doing our best to stay safe. After we closed I could actually feel the fear in atmosphere of my treatment rooms. (I had to do some “hippie shit” before I could bear to enter them). I’m not going to offer facial services without a visor on.

I’ll use more single use products to reassure clients. I switched to disposable towels from scrummi spa because I didn’t want to handle potentially client infected laundry.

I’m polishing off the lacquer on my brass door handles to take advantage of the natural anti microbial properties of copper. Brass is usually at least 60% copper which is enough to kill germs and even Covid viruses after 4 hours. I’m going to fit copper or brass finger plates on doors and tell clients to use them so I know where to sanitise between clients.

I'm still fantasising about fitting copper sheet to my desk top and other high touch surfaces. It’s giving me something to research at the moment - copper plated stair rail anyone?

We can do social distancing between staff, but not between clients. What I have noticed when out and about is how the normal public have absolutely no idea about hygiene. I won’t trust my clients not to contaminate my work space with their germs. I might buy these good quality washable masks https://fashionizerspa.com. and I’m looking into reusable visors (perhaps from Foldall whom I volunteer for) and possibly some sort of sneeze guard for my manicure desk. I haven’t liked the sneeze guards I’ve seen, so I might have to get something made. I have a clear idea of what I want, but won’t know until I use it how practical it will be in use.

We stopped doing threading on clients before shut down. I’m now practising using the neck method but I don’t know whether I’ll be able to do that with a visor on.

I’m reluctant to spend money at the moment, but realistically when we are allowed to reopen, we won’t be straight back to normal working, it will be like just before shut down when we were all feeling anxious and doing our best to stay safe. After we closed I could actually feel the fear in atmosphere of my treatment rooms. (I had to do some “hippie shit” before I could bear to enter them). I’m not going to offer facial services without a visor on.

I’ll use more single use products to reassure clients. I switched to disposable towels from scrummi spa because I didn’t want to handle potentially client infected laundry.

I’m polishing off the lacquer on my brass door handles to take advantage of the natural anti microbial properties of copper. Brass is usually at least 60% copper which is enough to kill germs and even Covid viruses after 4 hours. I’m going to fit copper or brass finger plates on doors and tell clients to use them so I know where to sanitise between clients.

I'm still fantasising about fitting copper sheet to my desk top and other high touch surfaces. It’s giving me something to research at the moment - copper plated stair rail anyone?

We can do social distancing between staff, but not between clients. What I have noticed when out and about is how the normal public have absolutely no idea about hygiene. I won’t trust my clients not to contaminate my work space with their germs. I might buy these good quality washable masks https://fashionizerspa.com. and I’m looking into reusable visors (perhaps from Foldall whom I volunteer for) and possibly some sort of sneeze guard for my manicure desk. I haven’t liked the sneeze guards I’ve seen, so I might have to get something made. I have a clear idea of what I want, but won’t know until I use it how practical it will be in use.

We stopped doing threading on clients before shut down. I’m now practising using the neck method but I don’t know whether I’ll be able to do that with a visor on.

Interesting about copper ...

Definitely agree about a sneeze guard but the ones in shops are dreadful. Please post if you manage to source a decent one!

I feel like nails is the most risky thing with someone sat in front of you at close quarters. Anything on the couch I feel I’m more behind their head if that makes sense and some things like lash lift I can sit a little away while things develop. It’s nails that really bother me and thats what makes up at least 50% of my work.

I definitely don’t trust clients not to bring germs in or not to come with symptoms. They often used to come with coughs and colds or announce at the end that they’ve had v&d ... never ceases to amaze me but I’m guessing it won’t change. I think good quality washable masks in theory are a great idea but in practice are people going to want to wear one they know other people have been wearing, even if it’s been washed? Disposable is probably the way I’ll go and treatment prices may have to go up.

I’m not keen to provide masks for clients, that will means they’ll discard them and I’ll have to dispose of them. I’ll have to hide my bins!

Latest posts

Back