What perks do you give your staff?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbissell86

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Just want to see where I am on the stingy boss ladder.

We have 4 therapists 1 apprentice and two stylists

I allow 40% off for friends and family on the day bookings and 40% off for staff anytime. Free sunbeds also and 10% commission on product sales

I don't allow treatment swaps or taking products home and I only allow them one hot drink from the machine ( all other drinks teas coffees etc are free)

Anyone else have tight restrictions?

I hope I'm fairly fair?

I think 40% off for friends & family is quite alot, I understand it has to be in the day. But your staff also get 40% off (but any suited time) is alittle unfair.

Personally if I worked for you Id rather friends & family got a lower discount & your staff a higher discount. But I guess thats what Ive been use to.

We are allowed 1 free spray tan a month, free sunbeds, 50% off any treatment (nails, massage, etc) & a freebie thrown in every now & again if its not busy. Friends & family get 25% off.

When I did hairdressing my hair was always done for free when it needed doing, usually an afternoon if the salon was quiet. Or we could stay behind & do each others hair if we were happy too.
Xx

40% for friends and family is far too generous! (..unless i misunderstood what you wrote??)
The rest of it sounds pretty good :)

I just wanted something simple really as I didn't want to create confusion with cans and cants.

The friends and family works really well as they phone on the day and if there's a gap they fill it even if for a small amount.

I hadn't thought about giving the staff a better percentage thank you. I really wanted to avoid treatment swaps as it costs in products.

They all seem really happy and I believe in investing in the team. They even get free membership as our salons within a large health centre. I just wondered what other salons do as the girls said they used to treatment swap in most gaps in their old employment but I can't see how the salon made any money if that was the case

I feel like a real push over lol! My girls get free treatments and they book themselves in and family get 30%. Think I need to rethink xx

Yes I understand if they are working on each other & turning away custom you are loosing out twice. But sometimes (when its already quiet) thats one of the perks, & advertisement.

Spray tans dont take up too much time, plus we only usually have one for an event... Weddings etc which of course people mention your tan which is a good business plug ;)

Xx

Where I work you can have any treatments for free. Sinking as you don't take the mick (nails every 2 weeks not every 2 days etc)
And family get 20% discount if therapist is working. Or If therapist stays after work they just pay for product costs.
Every place I've worked therapists have gotten free treatments :)

Laura xx

Maybe this is why my staff are so loyal!

Manager - receives a bonus upon reaching end of day targets - mobile phone bill paid for, expenses paid, extra days in holiday, plus all of the below.

Staff - yearly Christmas bonuses, daily incentive awards for retail sales up to the value of £200 + free products over a 3 month period, unlimited hair services free of charge, retail purchases at cost, paid bank holidays, free training, unlimited free drinks.....I think I could list a few more as well!!

We get free treatments in our salon and no one ever takes liberties! Just nails (I always do mine at home myself anyway but using Shellac which our salon stocks) and the occasional spray tan which ALWAYS guarantees people booking in for them after seeing our lovely bronze natural glow ;) and waxing (well the bits we can't do ourselves anyway!) the odd massage doesn't go amiss either :) I wouldn't feel right doing facials etc on each other as using too much product :/

We only get 10% off for family and friends though! X

Free treatments and an allocation of products every month (staff have got to be seen to using the products etc ans they have to wear salons make up range while on shift)

Commission on treatment & retail. Regular days out / staff get together.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

I feel like a real push over lol! My girls get free treatments and they book themselves in and family get 30%. Think I need to rethink xx

Maybe only have the treatments when its quiet, or if they book in then their apt gets dropped if a client wants it?? Has always worked for me x

Hi geeks,

Just want to see where I am on the stingy boss ladder.

We have 4 therapists 1 apprentice and two stylists

I allow 40% off for friends and family on the day bookings and 40% off for staff anytime. Free sunbeds also and 10% commission on product sales

I don't allow treatment swaps or taking products home and I only allow them one hot drink from the machine ( all other drinks teas coffees etc are free)

Anyone else have tight restrictions?

I hope I'm fairly fair?

Do think your a bit mean on the staff discount lol!! :) maybe its just me but I've never paid for a treatment in the place I've worked !! Perk of the job??? ;

Just re read??? Are you a salon within a salon? (Does that make sense? ) then I can under the discount? ?

My staff get free treatment with some limitations.

Shellac - only every 2 weeks
Spray tans - buy a bottle and ill spray them how ever often
Microdermabrasion - I have a payg u it from skin base so they have to cover the cost if that.

I don't offer discount for friends and family BUT I might start. Maybe a 10% discount but only on the day bookings.

Staff can buy products at cost price.

Jemima :)

Maybe this is why my staff are so loyal!

Manager - receives a bonus upon reaching end of day targets - mobile phone bill paid for, expenses paid, extra days in holiday, plus all of the below.

Staff - yearly Christmas bonuses, daily incentive awards for retail sales up to the value of £200 + free products over a 3 month period, unlimited hair services free of charge, retail purchases at cost, paid bank holidays, free training, unlimited free drinks.....I think I could list a few more as well!!

sounds class place to work! and when you do the books are you making a good profit and yearly increase on profit?

My girls get unlimited drinks (we have a huge range if hot and cold cans/bottles), free treatments - although this is only on the basis of staying after work or when there's an empty gap and even then if a client calls to book the client gets priority. They also get any products at wholesale. Comission on products sold and treatments.

sounds class place to work! and when you do the books are you making a good profit and yearly increase on profit?

Ha ha Loveleelady...that made me chuckle...the day I write a status saying the studio is closing then I'll know what the problem is...I have various businesses and my background is management accounts and financial reporting...what I can't do believe it or not is hairdressing!! I'll leave that to the professionals in that field.

Ha ha Loveleelady...that made me chuckle...the day I write a status saying the studio is closing then I'll know what the problem is...I have various businesses and my background is management accounts and financial reporting...what I can't do believe it or not is hairdressing!! I'll leave that to the professionals in that field.

hehe yea blame it on the staff!

im just interested to know if being very generous with staff is profitable ie does it increase their work productivity etc and does it increase profit

hehe yea blame it on the staff!

im just interested to know if being very generous with staff is profitable ie does it increase their work productivity etc and does it increase profit

It does give them an incentive to work harder, sell retail products and find new clients, if there is a quiet period in the studio some of the girls go out leafleting in the town and go in to the shops. I will not have them all standing around in the studio...the idea behind the Manager's end of day targets is to motivate her staff - she reaps the reward if she passes the financial targets that I set. I am not based at the studio so I need someone to control the staff and manage the salon etc. Everything that I do is remote. I can see and hear at all times what the girls are doing where ever I am in the world. I can check the online diary management system to see who is booking what and who is cancelling what...I understand management accounts and I have regular forecasts that tell me what part of the studio may not be doing so well and can action accordingly. As a proprietor you will always be thinking of ways to increase business, gain new clients etc...more so than any manager or any staff member as you have a vested interest...the girls don't worry about where the wages are coming from that is purely down to me...frustrating as it is that's how it works. My girls are all state registered and assessors in their field.....do they think any more of me for giving them all the benefits...doubtful...are they loyal ....yes....do they take the occasional liberty.....absolutely.....do they help me...of course...it's swings and roundabouts to be honest...

I believe that my staff are walking advertisements!
So I offer free treatments, but they know when we're busy so always book a reasonable time.
Free sunbeds.
Xmas bonus
Xmas night out
20% fam and friend discount
I would prefer my girls looked fab and had a presentable appearance so when the treatments are free there's no reason there nails shouldn't be done etc
Also when they're shopping & such people always ask where they got their nails done and its getting our name out there.
I want my girls to know I appreciate them, it's super hard to find good staff so I'm holding on tight!

In our salon my boss gives us free treatments of any kind as long as we don't miss use this and do it all the time, our family gets 20% discount ad friends get 10% discount. We buy our products off the shelf but just at the price we buy it in at not at retail price, love the perks of my job x

Latest posts

Back