What PPE is used for massage?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

body talk

Tinkerbell
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about massage - does the client wear a mask during the massage? Does the therapist wear a mask and gloves?

Sorry if it sounds like daft questions but we haven't opened up yet in Scotland so I'm just wondering how its going to work?

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can advise x

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about massage - does the client wear a mask during the massage? Does the therapist wear a mask and gloves?

Sorry if it sounds like daft questions but we haven't opened up yet in Scotland so I'm just wondering how its going to work?

Thanks for reading and hopefully someone can advise x

Your insurance provider should hopefully be able to advise you what is required and what is not.

Your insurance provider should hopefully be able to advise you what is required and what is not.
Thanks for your reply Noodle. I'm not self employed anymore so don't have my own insurance, so I'm just looking to find out what others are doing and what works for them. I noticed the UK govt guidelines was 'wear gloves unless its crucial to treatment not to wear them' - so I wondered if that would mean we'd be working without gloves? Also, the mask; I wondered if the client is face down for a BNS massage then would they still need a mask on? I noticed the guidelines said keep treatment time to a minimum so I'm expecting we won;t be doing one hour massages, but only doing 30-45 min ones? Just trying to gauge what others are doing really, what they're liking and what they're not liking about massage in this new bizarre world we've found ourselves in x

Thanks for your reply Noodle. I'm not self employed anymore so don't have my own insurance, so I'm just looking to find out what others are doing and what works for them. I noticed the UK govt guidelines was 'wear gloves unless its crucial to treatment not to wear them' - so I wondered if that would mean we'd be working without gloves? Also, the mask; I wondered if the client is face down for a BNS massage then would they still need a mask on? I noticed the guidelines said keep treatment time to a minimum so I'm expecting we won;t be doing one hour massages, but only doing 30-45 min ones? Just trying to gauge what others are doing really, what they're liking and what they're not liking about massage in this new bizarre world we've found ourselves in x

Hopefully some of our massage therapists will be able to give you some guidelines as to how they’re performing treatments and the PPE recommendations for that treatment.

My insurance stated I must wear a Visor, disposable apron and gloves. The client does not need to wear a mask.

I having a issue with gloves and my hands, so I am now using hot mitts with cleansing aromatherapy oils to cleanse clients skin and using no gloves. The visor is very quick and easy to get used to.

My insurance stated I must wear a Visor, disposable apron and gloves. The client does not need to wear a mask.

I having a issue with gloves and my hands, so I am now using hot mitts with cleansing aromatherapy oils to cleanse clients skin and using no gloves. The visor is very quick and easy to get used to.
Hi New Spa & thanks for your reply. I'm amazed the client doesn't need to wear a mask. I also saw something from a scientist yesterday saying visors are no good on their own - that we should be wearing a mask with a visor if wearing the visor. However - I'm aware you're just doing what your insurance has advised. I just feel this is such a scary time for us all and no one seems to know 'exactly' what the best procedures are as its such a new virus. I'm scared but maybe that's just me. Best of luck out there x

Ive done massages in the clear vinyl gloves before and it’s like skin. Clients have mentioned they couldn’t even feel the difference.

I know this as I often clumsily cut or burn myself so can’t use the steamed towels without gloves on or it really hurts, and of course not wanting to spread any infection to client.

And there’s always the odd one that has something unusual on their body that isn’t weird enough not to massage but is weird enough you don’t fancy touching it.

Ive done massages in the clear vinyl gloves before and it’s like skin. Clients have mentioned they couldn’t even feel the difference.

I know this as I often clumsily cut or burn myself so can’t use the steamed towels without gloves on or it really hurts, and of course not wanting to spread any infection to client.

And there’s always the odd one that has something unusual on their body that isn’t weird enough not to massage but is weird enough you don’t fancy touching it.
Thanks for the info House Beauty - I'll look into the clear vinyl gloves. X

We have been massaging clients with vinyl gloves. I always wear them if a client has hair on their back and legs. The gloves help with the slip and stop that tingly feeling on your fingertips. We have decided to carry on for now but if the experience isn’t enjoyable we will remove from our menu until things have changed. client feedback so far.

It depends on your massage technique. For a Beauty therapist relaxing massage you usually use a bit of oil, and slide around. Gloves are absolutely fine for this and clients can’t tell the difference.

It’s like hot stones - clients can’t tell the difference between your warm hands and the stones.

There are quite a few facials which are taught using gloves. Murad springs to mind. I was taught by a Beauty lecturer who said she had no fingerprints on her fingers due to not wearing gloves in the past for glycolic peeling products and we were all taught to wear gloves for level 3 facials (we trained with murad products).

I am a clinical massage therapist so I use different techniques. For me, the slip of oil and gloves is a problem. In the complimentary therapist world there is quite a lot of angst on the whole glove issue. My feeling is that if my neurosurgeon cousin can operate in gloves I can hardly complain that I can’t manage unless my hands are bare!

I’m not asking clients to lie face down with a face mask on - but I do worry about breath contamination - so I use a BCSoftware linen sheet which is finely woven and generously long over my couch and the couch hole and “punch” a deep pocket. This stops the client feeling claustrophobic. I hold it in place with a bcsoftwear supreme soft header towel which is like a hand towel with a turtle neck collar hole. If you use a head rest, you can use a pillow case over the top and “punch” a pocket in the same way and the client’s head holds it in place.

I work with the client prone and side lying. When they are supine, I’m just holding feet or doing arm pulls. That’s because in England we’re not supposed to be working over the face.

I’ve bought different visors. I’ve got one which is quite close fitting and wraps around my face. This is my preferred visor for getting up close and personal with a client. I found my other visor poked me or the client in some lifting limb positions

I work through a cotton drape for part of the massage, doing chair massage type compression and stretching movements.

I’d suggest adding a bit of heat, especially around the top of the back/neck/ shoulder area. If you’re putting your prices up - or reducing the time but not the price of your service, adding a few hot stones, or a heated pad is a simple way to add perceived value and experience without increasing your overheads.

Hi,
I am interested in the hot mitts where have you purchased these from? I too will be using essential oils. Do you use a facial skincare product and incorporate essential oils.

Hi,
I am interested in the hot mitts where have you purchased these from? I too will be using essential oils. Do you use a facial skincare product and incorporate essential oils.

I bought mitts in bulk from Ellisons website and put them in my hot towel cabinet, although I have 2 cabinets, one is used with plain water in case of allergies, the other I have mixed in some Essential oils to the water I soak the mitts in before placing in other hot towel cabinet.

No I don't add essential oils to the skincare range I use, as I feel it's good enough on its on. Although I make up reed oils for bathroom out of my aromatherapy blends and if a clients comments on the nice smell, it's a way of opening up conversations about that massage.

I bought mitts in bulk from Ellisons website and put them in my hot towel cabinet, although I have 2 cabinets, one is used with plain water in case of allergies, the other I have mixed in some Essential oils to the water I soak the mitts in before placing in other hot towel cabinet.

No I don't add essential oils to the skincare range I use, as I feel it's good enough on its on. Although I make up reed oils for bathroom out of my aromatherapy blends and if a clients comments on the nice smell, it's a way of opening up conversations about that massage.
Hi
Do you take your hot towel cabinet with you? Are you mobile?
I may have to buy some mitts from Ellisons.
thanks for the quick reply. :)

Latest posts

Back