What shall I do with my toenail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ameehitch

aimsox3
Reaction score
ive just knocked my toenail and its throbbing, i dont know wether to cut the lifted part or just put acrylic over it once its healed?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1464624674.730790.jpg

I'd do nothing until the bleeding stops and the swelling goes down. It won't be swollen yet but tomorrow it'll be sore. I'd keep it covered for a couple of days until the detached bit if the nail hardens and starts to buckle then gently buff off the catchy bits until it's touchable. Probably a week or so.

Personally I'd use steri-strips over it to stem the bleeding and make it feel less vulnerable for the next day or so. Leave then on for at least a day, soak in warm water to remove if necessary due to blood saturation, etc.

Once the pain and bleeding stops is over lay with L&P or soak off gel

Paracetamol/whatever for the pain

thank you [emoji4] x

I'm still really new to nails but personally if it was me, I would repair it with silk, it's very natural and you can't tell you have anything on your nails

Personally I would clean it as well as you can and put betadine/ some sort of antiseptic over it, then cover it with band aids so it doesn't catch and pull more.

Don't do anything to it or put anything (acrylic gel etc) on it until it's healed, you don't want to risk infecting or irritating your toe - or contaminating your implements (I personally would hate to know someone used a toenail clipper on me after clipping a bloody toenail with it - disinfected or not ew!)

If you see a blood clut forming under what's left of the healthy nail (meaning there is an inside injury but the blood has no way of leaving), take a sterilised needle (soaked in alcohol and burn) and open a tiny hole in the nail and with a little squiz get the left blood out. if it forms a clut you can lose your entire nail.

Do not cut the lifted piece as the skin underneath will be exposed. Clean with betadine scrub, and have it wrapped with fucidin-soaked gauze for a couple of days until the bleeding stops and to prevent infection. then keep it as open and exposed to the air as you possibly can, try to wear flip flops etc. Covered skin doesn't cure as fast as exposed to the air does.

AFTER and only after the wound has healed, you may cut the lifted piece, since it might cause more problems if it gets stuck on a sock or something. Do not use any form of adhesives (l&p, gel, whatever), until the wound is perfectly closed.

I volunteer at the red cross, you tend to learn things like that...

Last edited:
If you see a blood clut forming under what's left of the healthy nail (meaning there is an inside injury but the blood has no way of leaving), take a sterilised needle (soaked in alcohol and burn) and open a tiny hole in the nail and with a little squiz get the left blood out. if it forms a clut you can lose your entire nail.

Do not cut the lifted piece as the skin underneath will be exposed. Clean with betadine scrub, and have it wrapped with fucidin-soaked gauze for a couple of days until the bleeding stops and to prevent infection. then keep it as open and exposed to the air as you possibly can, try to wear flip flops etc. Covered skin doesn't cure as fast as exposed to the air does.

AFTER and only after the wound has healed, you may cut the lifted piece, since it might cause more problems if it gets stuck on a sock or something. Do not use any form of adhesives (l&p, gel, whatever), until the wound is perfectly closed.

I volunteer at the red cross, you tend to learn things like that...
I had that and went to A&E and they burnt a hole through my nail to release the blood and it sprayed everywhere! I wouldn't advise a DIY job at home [emoji15]

(I personally would hate to know someone used a toenail clipper on me after clipping a bloody toenail with it - disinfected or not ew!)

You do know how surgeons and dentists work ;)

Great advice already given. Ouch!!

ive cleaned it the best i can and used plenty of antiseptic cream, im not cutting the nail at all its too painful atm

I wouldn't be cutting anything until it's calmed right down by which time you will be able to see which areas are safe and unattached to remove painlessly. For now concentrate on disinfecting and protection. I feel for you, that looks so sore !

I had that and went to A&E and they burnt a hole through my nail to release the blood and it sprayed everywhere! I wouldn't advise a DIY job at home [emoji15]
I work with surgeons so opening a whole on a nail is not hard for me, and it's really not that hard to do really. But if she's not feeling comfortable doing it, then she shouldn't

I work with surgeons so opening a whole on a nail is not hard for me, and it's really not that hard to do really. But if she's not feeling comfortable doing it, then she shouldn't
It wasn't a surgeon that fixed my nail...that might have been a bit OTT.
I used to work with hairdressers, it doesn't mean I'm qualified to colour your hair or advise you how to do it yourself.
I wouldn't recommend anyone intentionally makes a hole in their nail.

You do know how surgeons and dentists work ;)

Great advice already given. Ouch!!
Yup and avoid them like the plague [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Always the big toe that gets it

I ripped off a big toe nail last April on a luggage cart at Gatwick airport. I went to a chiropodist/podiatrist, but all she could do was remove the bits of grit/debris and disinfect it. I am now prone to in growing toenail on that toe. I have to be honest I left it uncovered for over a year, so I could monitor it and I have just put my first set of Shellac on them in 14 months. Good luck with it.

I stubbed my middle toe on a pole 5 weeks ago. It was sore and bleeding on the top as I'd scraped skin off but I thought it was just superficial
It's healed now but looks odd and is still really tender if I move the nail and I'm worried the nail night come off [emoji22]
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1464813860.775117.jpg

oooo that looks so sore! [emoji37][emoji37]

loving angel btw! cant wait to put it on my toes once my toe has healed [emoji85]

Latest posts

Back